Total War Forums

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shogun & Medieval Total War on Steam

Junior Member Private Saruwatari Kaito's Avatar

Default Shogun & Medieval Total War on Steam

I think like many here, we would love "The Creative Assembly" to make both these titles available via Steam to complete the Total War collection with some minor modifications to allow them to work on Windows 7.

So if you would like to see this happen and agree with me, please reply to this post and give your support, not just to the entire community but also to the Total War Development Team for the Total War series.

Well I would like having both updated/patched for modern systems.
    But which 10 year old game has gotten this ever by any company?

Moderator Master and Commander Sasu's Avatar

These games are not certain to work on today's OS's. To get them compatible might be a bit more cumbersome than you'd think. That said, I think having them compatible-sized(?) and on Steam is a good idea.

Team Gunpowder

Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    When in doubt, check the stickies
    After every download, verify integrity of game cache

Fickle is the lady Fora

that is why i love this relic of a laptop i have at the moment. it plays both of them as well as rome and the other great older games. i plan on keeping this thing on life support just for that purpose.
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!

Senior Member Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Sasu View Post
    These games are not certain to work on today's OS's. To get them compatible might be a bit more cumbersome than you'd think. That said, I think having them compatible-sized(?) and on Steam is a good idea.
    I think some people got the original Shogun to work on Vista.

Junior Member Private Unst0ppabler0c's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nisemono View Post
    I think some people got the original Shogun to work on Vista.
    ? Really its been years since i tried to re-install it, but i remember something was messed up with the video's not playing correctly. But i guess it wouldnt hurt to take a look on the web if there is a workaround for vista and getting the video's to play. I have been thinking bout Shogun1 for a few weeks now. Was remembering the crazy mongols running around driving me crazy chasing them with the hojo lol

Junior Member Private

Sasu, i have to say you're wrong on one count. I cant speak for the original Shogun Total War since i haven't played it in years, but i do have a copy of Medieval Total War Gold and it installs and runs perfectly fine on win7 64 bit, with no need for workarounds/fixes/etc. i have the latest official patch applied and a no-cd crack to allow for play without a disc, other than that the game is not modded in any way. Ireally dont see how it would be a problem to add MTW to Steam.
    Last edited by Enigma83; 09-25-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Moderator Master and Commander Sasu's Avatar

If you read around the realm of TW Forums, you'll soon see, that there are many who can install STW and MTW to new OS's without a problem. But there are also many who can't and that's the problem. Unless you can be certain that the great majority (100% functionality is almost impossible) of the users can install the game(s) without any problems, the game code would require work. Work that I'm pretty sure CA is not prepared to do.
    Last edited by Sasu; 09-23-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Team Gunpowder

Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    When in doubt, check the stickies
    After every download, verify integrity of game cache

Fickle is the lady Fora

Junior Member Private

Also just installed Shogun: Total War - Warlord Edition from disc and I kind of see what you're talking about now (Sasu). The game had been sitting in a dusty old box in my basement along with many others, had never bothered to try it on Win7 until now. The menu has a screen flickering problem that doesn't appear to be fixable unless you use a 3rd party program like D3D Windower to force windowed mode. And it also appears that the settings/options can't be changed either. I havent played this game in a long time. But regardless, if the devs were to update these games to work on modern OSes, they would be sure to make alot of money, especially from gamers who want to play these games again in their full glory.

Moderator Master and Commander Maeda Toshiie's Avatar

Got STW working on W7 but needs compatibility mode coupled with an altered system setting to prevent crashes while going to menu from the campaign map. So far, it seems that ATI/AMD cards have less problems running the old TW games. Not sure about Nvidia cards.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

佐倉さんひくわー! (Sakura-san hikuwa!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast