Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empire Total War needs a revamped graphics engine

Member Lance Corporal

Default Empire Total War needs a revamped graphics engine

I recon if Empire Total War had better graphics, it would become that much greater.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major paulus magintie's Avatar

Graphics don't make a game good, I mean solitaire is not going to be better because of some new graphics.

It needs a new engine, but graphics-wise it's perfectly fine.

Either way, it's unlikely we'll see a new Empire game for some time. Rome is probably their next period, unless they intend to kill the franchise altogether by moving to the 20th century.

Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW

Member Lance Corporal

I guess, but in comparison to its latest Total War releases it does.

Senior Member Sergeant feelfreetodie's Avatar

last year i purchased a new computer to play STW2, after 300 hrs of play became bored and turned to other games. a few days ago i was looking at my desktop and noticed empire tw. i started to ask myself if i wanted to play a game, do i want to go through the long load times, that was my really only problem with the game before, taking forever to load a battle and forever at end turn.
    i decided to try it out again, WOW!! first time i was ever able to see the opening movie without it being choppy. i started a game as maratha on normal since its been so long. they must have have made alot of upgrades cause my game was flying. i finished a long campaign in just one day. the year was 1745.

i still cant believe how fast the load times and especially end turn was. stw2 has longer end turns now. if the game played like this when it first came out it would have easily been the best TW game of all time. i enjoy grand campaigns with huge maps, theres alot more to do. i can easily see myself getting another few hundred hrs of playtime out this game, maybe even surpasing rtw.

i think to a true gamer graphics isnt that important, make the game playable.

I've always found that ETW moves slow and clunky. I have to double click on things to make them activate. In RTW and MTW2, things move fast. I know they made ETW different but not sure if it has anything to do with the graphics.

Senior Member Sergeant feelfreetodie's Avatar

four days into etw now since i started playing again. first campaign was great as stated earlier. second campaign started crashing to desktop at end turn 33, abandoned it (sigh, playing as france, took london, lost paris, came back and finally turned the corner).
    3rd game wanted to play americans but had to redo the revolution? i had completed that when i first purchased etw couple years ago. regardless, it was buggy as hell. choppy game play and units getting stuck, to cannons doing their own thing not listening to commands. same old stuff as before. was able to complete it, but started getting that sour taste in my mouth again.
    i need to go rinse my mouth out with some Rise of Nations. maybe CA should take a look at that game and steal some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleScope View Post
    I recon if Empire Total War had better graphics, it would become that much greater.
    First of all, better graphics do not make a better game. But more to the point, Empire had the best graphics CA could produce at the time it was released. As has been the case with all of their games. They general update the game/graphics engine every two releases. And it's not realistic to expect an older game to be able to be refitted with better graphics.

In time, they will probably revisit the Empire period with Empire 2; that will have the best available graphics they can come up with. But until then you will just need to enjoy Empire as it is. I still play Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Medieval II. They are all perfectly good games even if their graphics have become a little outdated.

Junior Member Private

The empire total war graphics are fine.

+ Reply to Thread