Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bayonet Upgrade

Senior Member Field-Marshall Marshal Suchet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrazyCat View Post
    for your balanced build, what sort of infantry you use?
    I havent used it for a few weeks now, but I had 1-2 extended range marine units, with the remainder being white bears with 2 x reload and suppressing fire. I used to take about 4 yari ki units at about vet 2 and spent whatever remaining funds I had on levy spears.

The army 'worked' to a degree but it was horrible to use in many respects - so much money that should have gone into cav went into spear units that only ever did a sub-par job of defending my guns. I'd actually have the edge in terms of ranged stats in most firefights, but because I could not easily control the battlefield due to having weaker or equal-strength cav forces, it meant that there were a few times where my army was getting balled up and destroyed by cav armies that were superior to mine in numbers. My results have been far better since I switched to a cav heavy approach, especially since so many people seem to be more concerned about taking lots of long range guns as opposed to cavalry units.
    Last edited by Marshal Suchet; 04-26-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    RedStag

Senior Member Major the bourgeoisie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wsx1986 View Post
    Bayonets have been in use in Japan from at least the beginning of 1860's. Both socket and sword/knife bayonets were used depending on what the guns would fancy - e.g., 1862 Japanese Dreyse Socket-style bayonet; 1860's Japanese Enfield issue rifles were fitted with bayonets.
    The Boshin War was fought from 1868-1869, so I don't understand where you got the information that bayonets weren't used during that war.
    my information came from battle accounts, not training accounts from the french mission, if you look at certain battles they charged with katana not bayonets, yeah they had them but didn't use them par say in the war, that this game represents.
    and foreign units should have it, but typical units no, even though it would look stupid of them pulling out a sword, and this was definetely brought up many times, in the thread, look good yes, but if the game was about imperial japanese army and not imperial vs shogunate then sure, but right now, no, don't put it in, and if it was, it would need to be moderated to upper tier units such as elite, imp/sho inf
    Fear God, Honor King

Banned General

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Suchet View Post
    I havent used it for a few weeks now, but I had 1-2 extended range marine units, with the remainder being white bears with 2 x reload and suppressing fire. I used to take about 4 yari ki units at about vet 2 and spent whatever remaining funds I had on levy spears.

The army 'worked' to a degree but it was horrible to use in many respects - so much money that should have gone into cav went into spear units that only ever did a sub-par job of defending my guns. I'd actually have the edge in terms of ranged stats in most firefights, but because I could not easily control the battlefield due to having weaker or equal-strength cav forces, it meant that there were a few times where my army was getting balled up and destroyed by cav armies that were superior to mine in numbers. My results have been far better since I switched to a cav heavy approach, especially since so many people seem to be more concerned about taking lots of long range guns as opposed to cavalry units.
    meh, your better off using 1 foreign marine in your army. and bring some spear levies with BTs or WTs.

Quote Originally Posted by the bourgeoisie View Post
    history people. during the boshin war the japanese didn't use bayonets, they used katana's read up on it, instead of going on a boast about bayonets, and if they were to put it in, it would have to be during the satsuma rebellion time period, where it was a now uniform army, Imperial Japanese Army
    I don't think line infantry would have been issued with katana swords. Far too expensive to make. If they had any swords, they would have been cheap and inexpensive. Not sure line infantry in fots period carried any swords at all. The elite units maybe. But not the cheap cannon fodder types.

Senior Member Field-Marshall Marshal Suchet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrazyCat View Post
    meh, your better off using 1 foreign marine in your army. and bring some spear levies with BTs or WTs.
    Oh theres a reason why I ditched my balanced army for something with more hitting power.
    RedStag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3