Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shogun Total War 2 Matchup games are fail

Banned General

Quote Originally Posted by AMP View Post
    The only thing that S2 really has over the FoTS armies is their bows with 175/200 range other than that they don't have squat really. A good build controlled by a good FoTS player will always have the edge vs a good S2 player no matter what build really.
    we assuming the game is a 1v1 or a team game? cuz in team games a S2 army is always welcomed.

Well the only thing that I can see being welcomed is one or two units the S2 armies have to offer because FoTS dominates in everything really except for bows, so I see no point in using a S2 build. The only time I see one being played really is just for fun and a challenge, but you would be only hurting yourself in a competitive match that you wanna win using a S2 army vs a FoTS army.

Banned General

Oh, odd, so far I seen a friend use S2(no dlc units) and continuously/mostly defeat FOTS armies because he says FOTS armies are very small, its not so hard to handle. Though could be because of most players aren't that good.

The skill of people that play this game is rather low. :/

Comparing price and stats of FoTS units to S2 units FoTS wins hands down, anyone should be able to see that and that tells you CA never had any intention of balancing them to go against each other on an even scale.

Senior Member Corporal Indypride's Avatar

Yeah in my experience a lot of FOTS players are not the best. Like I said, it is entirely possible to win against them. But FOTS gun armies definitely have a leg up, expecially if the player knows what they are doing.
    What I havent seen actually is an FOTS melee rush build vs a Shogun 2 build. I have a feeling FOTS might still have an advantage because Shogitai and Katana Kachi have such high stats, although I believe they are a good bit more expensive than Shogun 2 units as well.

The Shogitai at same cost vs a S2 Nodachi or Katana Sam will win always because the Shogitai have 150 men per unit while ND and kata sams have just 120 men per unit. You only need 3 Shogitai in a melee build anyway because 3 of them with atleast 6 strong cav backed up by a couple of line gunners will roll over any S2 build. FoTS mounted gunners are what really do it in for the S2 builds most of time though.

Senior Member Field-Marshall Marshal Suchet's Avatar

Yeah but the morale on the fots melee units is horrible, they cost more, they don't get the kind of unit abilities that the s2 rush armies get and their best units, the shogetai are capped at 3 - yari ki are also capped at 4. s2 bows will thump fots ones and outrange all the gun units in a FOTS skirmish build and the rush units available to an s2 player are much cheaper and can be fielded in greater numbers (samurai units mixed with yari ashigaru, loan swords etc). s2 retainers and general abilities are also for the most part better than the FOTS ones.

So far as I am concerned its down to whoever uses their army best on the day.
    Last edited by Marshal Suchet; 04-27-2012 at 04:31 AM.
    RedStag

I wouldn't call anywhere 12 to 14 morale on the shogitai horrible and yes that's all you need just 3 of them because the katana kachi aren't needed. And like I said shogitai vs a nodachi or katana sam at the same cost even with their retainers the shogitai will win always 1vs1.

Yari Ki are capped at 4 but that hardly matters because you don't need 4 of them anyway... I never play with 4 of them only 3 tops. Like I said it's the gun cav of fots that really ruin most of the s2 builds.

And yes I already stated that s2 bows are better and anyone can see that but that hardly matters much when fots dominates in the cav and guns and their melee is abit better compared to s2 units. Don't forget those bows of vetted s2 are expensive and it really depends on the situation if they are able to pay out their worth or not... in most cases I've seen they don't or only break even.

A s2 player can bring the numbers but numbers won't win you the match alone, especially when you're up against a fots player that overall has stronger units for their cost compared to the s2 units.

You can't deny the fact that fots has alot more better costing units compared to s2 units and that alone is a nice advantage. If two players who are pretty much equally skilled played against each other many matches in a row with one using fots and the other using s2 my money would always go on the fots player winning most of the matches.
    Last edited by AMP; 04-27-2012 at 08:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2