Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Few Things (FOTS)

Junior Member Private

Question A Few Things (FOTS)

I made a post not too long ago asking a few questions but I knew at the end that I was forgetting a few things so this time I wrote them down.

After playing a few campaigns I have noticed (well it didn't take a few campaigns to notice) that generals seem to gain XP differently in FOTS then in the previous 2. In vanilla and ROTS generals gained the same amount of XP as long as you got a victory. Now it varies and it seems like the generals gain XP dependent upon the odds of the battle and your type of victory or defeat. Can anyone confirm this? Also that thing where if you have more then one general in a stack you're supposed remove them from the stack and make them enter the fight as reinforcements so they can gain more XP. That still works but it doesn't seem to be nearly as effective in FOTS and I'm not sure but now it seems like a other generals gain XP even if they're in the stack.

One more thing when it comes to generals. I know that this has been in the game since the vanilla but what are the positives to fighting a night battle.

With agents I've noticed that, compared to the previous titles that agent seem to fail more often at higher success %'s then in the other two. Can you guys confirm or deny that you've noticed the same thing as well.

Last thing is that sometimes when you auto resolve a battle the AI will have captured arty from the other AI if the enemy had it in the battle. Does anyone know how to do this manually when you choose not to auto resolve?
    Also is it worth it to take the time and money in the campaign to get armstrong artillery. It just seems like a waste of time to me seeing that their stats aren't that much better then parrot guns.

Thanks in advance

Senior Member Master and Commander daelin4's Avatar

Since FotS was realeased, only the attacking general gets 10XP for a regular victory; presumably, Heroic victory gains 15XP as before. Reinforcing generals however only get 3XP; in the past they also get 15XP, allowing you to rapidly level up generals by simply splitting them up immediately before attacking. Subordinate generals within these armies get only 1XP, whereas in the past they gained 3XP. This makes levelling up much slower for other generals.

I don't think the "type" of victory or defeat adjusts the amount of XP; it's the same unless it's the rare Heroic victory that gives 1XP to the general, and presumably a small bonus to other generals present.

This also applies to Shogun2's campaign and presumably RotS, I started a new campaign just to test that out.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code][code] in your post.

Senior Member Colonel wealthyempire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kohler7 View Post
    Last thing is that sometimes when you auto resolve a battle the AI will have captured arty from the other AI if the enemy had it in the battle. Does anyone know how to do this manually when you choose not to auto resolve?
    The one time that I was paying attention to it. I attacked a castle with a bunch of parrot guns during the battle I blew up their single parrot gun. After the battle it was showing that I captured it.
    Guides and other informative threads
    S2, RotS, FotS Economic Quick Reference Guides
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=462317
    Check out post #2 (S2) and post #9 (RotS) for other informative threads
    The Sekigahara Campaign 2012 TWC Modding Awards Winner (Team Member)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1841

Junior Member Private

So it's still a good idea to split up your generals, just not quite as beneficial as it was before.

+ Reply to Thread