Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FotS can be more than camping and do 65535?

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Yoritomo View Post

Perhaps i should do as some people do, arty exploit to death and shut up. Then the yelling is louder from the victims of the exploit.

Ive contemplated this a few times but I just wouldnt be able to live with myself being a lazy fat camper. I like the feeling of defeating a camper and watching there little encampment crumble. Unfortunately on some maps with the terrain making it nearly impossible to attack w/o losing some really important units and a key building 10 feet from their spawn making it too easy for them to avoid the timer, ez mode is too hard to overcome and requires a pretty big mistake by the opponent to win. Against good players this mistake doesnt happen and you're screwed.

Senior Member Lieutenant

I'm not really defending cannons. It is just from personal experience that 9 out of 10 people that bring cannons are usually not very good players. It use to be that each time I see someone with a rank 5+ armstrong I would dread the match; but after 100 or so games in MM battles however, I've come to basically consider it a free win (more or less). So IMO there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that unit.

Just to be clear, I am not saying fighting a camper (with or without a cannon) is fun; in fact it is annoying and frustrating, which is made even more annoying and frustrating when your opponent brings a cannon. In fact I was taken aback by how limited the cannons is when I started to see it in action.

Now I have to admit, I've only see 2 or 3 people bring lvl 9 cannons, so my comments may not reflect that particular sub-type of the unit. But, again, when I did get matched up against the people that brought them, I won. Which as I said before, for 1900 points, it should technically be able to kill more than 1900 points worth of units and should still be considered "balanced" because in addition to the cost, it requires a retainer slot, anchors your army making it inflexible, and almost forces you to sit near the deployment zone for fear of the cannon be killed by cavalry.

The only exception ofcourse is 1 or 2 maps, such as gorge, but that's 1 map in like 30 something maps. Bring a couple of ninjas to bomb the cannon. So really a unit that's really OP on 1 map, and down right bad in every other map is not that big of a deal. Above all else though, if you're having a hard time winning even though you have all those advatages mentioned above (ignoring a couple of specific maps), it might not be the cannon. And I will tell you that so far, every match I've lost in the last 30+ MM games has been from someone who did not use a cannon, and used his/her cavalry more effectively than I did. If anything yari ki needs a price increase.

I guess you have noticed that some maps come very often in matchmade and some are rare. I never had Gunma Field since FotS came out but Daisetzuan, Oboke, Yamasaki, Shinano and the new maps are really often. Crossroads and Sanriku ria next to Cubu Pass are real invitations.

You got 3 Arty Types, of course on some maps they are quite useless cause you cant place them well. On most maps you can reach a nice point to shell from, in time or right at start.
    You want successfully arty camp in deploy zone? Go ahead and get your win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3