Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shogun 2 Total War Freezes

Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by cocolord2 View Post
    I did as you asked with pagefile and I chose 10 gigs etc but It is not the sollution also. Problem still exists. I am really upset with that. Maybe the game is not good for my computer or somehting?
    I had a similar problem and changing the page file worked for me. How much free space do you have on your hard drive? If its lower than 10 gigs then this likely won't work. If so, try freeing up disk space and defragging again. If that doesn't work then perhaps it's a different issue altogether.

The Creative Assembly Lieutenant Griffinator's Avatar

your computer should be fine for it coco, have you by chance tried to reinstall manually the redistibutables from within

> programfiles x86 \steam\steamapps\common\totalwarshogun2\redist

try reinstalling those manually then reverify your game integrity and try playing the game again.
    if this doesn't work can you post a updated dxdiag so we can make sure your driver updates have taken effect
    Griff

Junior Member Private

I will try this all but I have one simple question: Does it matter on which drive I have my shogun 2 installed and steam? Because I have this on my E drive. Should I take some action to this drive too?

The Creative Assembly Lieutenant Griffinator's Avatar

normally i would have said it would have been better on c:\ but as you have quite a bit of space on both your C:\ and E:\ i don't see it causing that much of a problem.

Hopefully your redist files once they have been reinstalled should work (i hope anyway) if not then pop up a brand new dxdiag and i'll see if i can think of anything else in the meantime.

Junior Member Private

Tried it but also did not work. I think that unknown part of my computer is damaged (CPU? MOBO? I don't know) and that is the problem. I am wasting my nerves trying to resolve that annoying problem. I think the only way to play Shogun 2 comfortable is buying a new computer. Anyway, I really appreciate all your comments guys and thank you for your attention. You are incredible, I wish you the best

Administrator Master and Commander AlJabberwock's Avatar

Well,
    I don't want to sound lazy, but when all else fails if I have an unexplained issue with games (particularly steam games) that appear to prefer to be in the default directory (c), I simply install them there.

Moving files without the install process often will not work and moving them or installing them in a non standard location can make it so file paths are not as expected. Rather than go through the steps of correcting it and maybe missing ONE niggling file path reference, I simply bite the bullet and install it in default locations.

This would probably be a pain in the neck but makes it a good idea to take some things OUT of c and put them elsewhere, and then defrag beforehand, but its what I would do...
    UNLESS...

What "5700" series card are we talking about here? If its a weak sister, you might have to get a better one. I use a 5770 (which is at the top of that subseries) on one machine and it really struggles, significantly weaker series members might not work well or at all.
    "Do what I mean, not what I say!"
    ~Marvin Dodd

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al
    Forum Rules

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb875 View Post
    Please post DxDiag

Here is the link on how to post a DxDiag
    Here is the link for virtual memory

The virtual addressing workaround is for people running a 32-bit system. If you have a 64-bit system, the problem is porbably something else, so a DxDiag should bring that to light.
    that second link you gave there are 3 steps but as much as i can see it there are only for xp and vista are there any instructions for windows 7

Junior Member Private

I reinstalled steam and shogun on C drive but it has not helped. My computer is cursed but thanks for trying to help me even now when my hope is lost

Administrator Master and Commander AlJabberwock's Avatar

The virtual memory workaround in that link is for people with 32 bit operating systems. If you have a 64 bit windows, that won't help you. Even if you have a 32 buit OS and you DID do it without error,
    1)Your windows must be updated
    2)You must have a reasonable amount of ram (probably at least 3gigs)
    3)You MAY still need to change your minimum pagefile because windows has a tendency in some systems to set the default too low for some applications and we have seen indications now in three systems where increasing the pagefile minimum and removing the windows auto manage function solves the equation. It is POSSIBLE that a 32 bit system needing the Mad Boris will ALSo need a change of this pagefile size. See this instruction:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l=1#post339521
    "Do what I mean, not what I say!"
    ~Marvin Dodd

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al
    Forum Rules

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2