Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FOTS AI never uses castle doors.... why?

Senior Member Corporal III IDOLIZE III's Avatar

Default FOTS AI never uses castle doors.... why?

OK,
    So if any one has extensively played the FOTS campaign, you would have realized in all of your castle defense sieges, when the AI is attacking, they refuse to either A) sabotage castle doors with ninjas before hand... B) burn down doors in the siege game, allowing access to their military to attack through them... or C)Send units up a wall, capturing a door anywhere in the castle.
    All the AI ever does, is climb walls climb walls climb walls.
    It gets very boring after awhile, and completely defeats the purpose of the FOTS castle's, with their intricate wall and door scenario, as well as the ability to place units above the doors, which i have yet to ever use in a defense siege game.
    So all i ask is, why does the AI refuse to use doors in siege battles?

ummm... this was the AI behavior from the original campaign too... Even if you have broken walls, the AI always climbs. Kind of anitclimatic since you know you never have to worry about soldiers surging inside through the gates...

Senior Member Colonel

I seem to have the same experience with the regular TWS2 campaign. I'm not going to complain because the AI doesn't like to bust down the doors because then I don't need to fix them later. I suspect a reason the AI likes to climb walls it so it can avoid those killing zones that are doorways. It seems to me the only time the AI uses doors is when they already control them which happens if I get units a level above the AI. Doors are avoided because a single unit can do a much better job holding the breach then it can trying to stop multiple scaling attempts.

Senior Member Master and Commander Tyer032392's Avatar

In the original game, I've seen the AI use the doors if they are open, and or will burn them down. But that only happened when I didn't have any defensive troops near it. I think it might have something to do with actually having to wait while the gate burns to the ground. Which is another thing i wish CA would fix, is actually have troops who do if garrisoned inside a burning building.
    Rome 2 Divide et Imperia guide for beginners.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...02#post1162802

My PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.5 Ghz overclocked
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 Superclocked edition @ 4 Gigs of VRAM
    RAM: 16 Gigs of G-Skill Aries 1333
    PSU: Haswell Gold 750W
    SSHD: 2 Terabyte Seagate SSHD
    SSD: 128 Gigs Intel SSD

Senior Member Brigadier

never see the AI use gates and why would they? its just a choke point that IMHO is easly avoided. its about the only thing that i really hate about shogun2. theres still spidermen :/

i guess we will have to keep waiting if we want to see some PROPER siege battles.

Senior Member Field-Marshall

They want to avoid chokepoints, fair enough. Yet it does seem logical in some cases to burn down the gates and rush in when they're unguarded, but the AI never does that. I'd call that an omission.

Senior Member Master and Commander GrudgeNL's Avatar

Partially wrong When AI routs inside your castle, they use the gates to escape :P
    Grudge's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    Partially wrong When AI routs inside your castle, they use the gates to escape :P
    They wouldn't do that if they could climb down.

Senior Member Master and Commander GrudgeNL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damadman228 View Post
    They wouldn't do that if they could climb down.
    They never climb down in my battles. They run across my entire castle just to exit through the front door.
    Grudge's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    They never climb down in my battles. They run across my entire castle just to exit through the front door.
    When a unit routes while climbing it should be allowed to climb down (which it can't). I was joking about the fact that they refuse to go through gates normally and use them only when routing. If they were serious about it, they would climb down and boycott the cowardly use of gates. lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast