Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Upgrades?

Senior Member Field-Marshall

I personally upgrade defense to get the 4 basic upgrades completed. I agree that normally giving a no dachi better charge should be a good idea, but it really isn't. I had to delete all mine when I noticed. Anything above 20-25 charge doesn't really matter as you won't hit more people because of it. In this case the "make the unit even better at what it's meant for" policy doesn't work. I have to say that I would prefer it if it did.

Senior Member Major Thorien Kell's Avatar

I agree on charge. I never upgrade it in any of my units. Units built for charge - already have good charge. In all other cases it's a waste - like putting anti cav on WM or naginata - I used to love that in my noob days : ) it's just nothing much better you can take. Charge is added as a bonus to attack in several second period after initial charge. And yes, having totally OP attack or even more then totally OP attack is same thing essentially.

Now that I think of it, charge may actually be only useful on units that aren't meant for it, i.e. katana samurai and katana cav. I personally haven't tried it yet, but getting them to the "magical border" that is 20 charge might actually boost their effectiveness. I'd have to test this though and I'm afraid I might waste a katana sam. Then again, I have a single vet slot left, so I could use it for that until I get my 3rd monk cav back.

Senior Member Lieutenant Viivrabe's Avatar

when i upgrade No-dachies i go 2attack 1 defense 2 fatigue resist then 1 defence and more attack
    it makes them beastly units. and i have used them as a core to hold the line.
    i dont think the moral is useful to no-dachies, they are not cowardly ar****aru and have decent moral already.

the thing you have to remember is Attack, defense and moral all drop as they get tired, so while having more moral may seem like a good idea a unit that is tired takes a -2 moral penalty (they also kill at a slower rate and die quicker) so you could spend 100kuku on moral upgrades to negate this, or 50-100 on fatigue resist and keep them in the fight longer, because they wont die as fast (taking more moral penalties from lost units) and kill faster as well

now in FotS, i dont spend much on upgrades. thinking about it the only units I field with upgrades are bow kachi with maxed acc and reload, and i use them to take advantage of range and hills. but aside from that i have vanilla cav, vanilla line an un-vetted US marine (not even upgraded to 150 range. no upgrades at all) and unvetted melee (shogati, they can wipe out those nasty mariene units very easily, trading 1.5k unit for a 950 who will have enough men left over to cripple another unit) and an unvetted cannon (amazing how people will do anything in there power to kill off that thing leaving themselves at a severe disadvantage [sacrificing large portions of there cav sure i loose the cannon, but i get the cav advantage which is way more useful])

Quote Originally Posted by damadman228 View Post
    Now that I think of it, charge may actually be only useful on units that aren't meant for it, i.e. katana samurai and katana cav. I personally haven't tried it yet, but getting them to the "magical border" that is 20 charge might actually boost their effectiveness.
    on katana cav it is very very effective

haven't tried on katana sam. let me know what you find out if you do test it out
    Last edited by Viivrabe; 05-26-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesaboteur View Post
    Point is, there is a reason that the ESRB does not rate online [play].
    A Knight in shining armor is a knight who has never had his metal truly tested.

Very good point on fatigue resistance. However, I do have the fatigue resistance aura on my general, so it would hardly pay off to upgrade that as I already see my units get tired very rarely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3