Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TEd: FAQ and getting started guide

Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Master and Commander CraigTW's Avatar

Default TEd: FAQ and getting started guide

Hi all,

As TEd is released today, we thought we’d post up some commonly asked questions and answers for the community. If you have any additional questions, please do feel free to ask in this thread. With luck, a helpful community member will be able to answer your questions. CA staff will also frequent this thread.

We'll update this FAQ with some of the most frequently asked community questions as they arise.

What is TEd?

TEd is a free battlefield editor for Total War: Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai. It allows you to sculpt your own battlefields, place objects from our extensive objects library, paint and adjust the height of terrain and more.

How do I download TEd?

TEd is available to all Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai players who have the latest version from Steam (if you play in offline mode, you’ll need to go online to update your copy of Shogun 2 or Fall of the Samurai to the current version).

To launch TEd, open Steam and select “Library”. From there select “All games” -> “Tools” then select and install “Total War: Shogun 2 – TEd”. Once installed, you can run the tool from here.

Can I use this to modify the campaign map?

TEd is a battlefield-only editor, and does not enable you to modify the campaign map.

Is TEd easy to use?

Very. You need no prior experience of map editors (although some knowledge will definitely help). For a quick glance at how easy TEd is to use, check out Rally Point Episode 2, which covers the basics of creating a new map. We’ve also released documentation which will talk you through the important stuff. Please do check this out before getting stuck in.

Can I modify the brushes used for adjusting terrain and painting land textures?

Yes. TEd comes with a number of pre-created brushes to adjust terrain in most ways conceivable. We do, however, recognise that modders may like to change this, so you can create your own brush files.

Are there any known issues with TEd?

At present there is an issue with 32-bit operating systems which may result in instability or failure to load. If you’re having problems on a 32-bit system, consider reducing the number of brushes in your brushes folder, as this seems to be an effective workaround. TEd was designed primarily for 64-bit systems in a developer environment.

If I make a map, how do I share it with my friends?

There are two ways of doing this. You can either share the map file manually (by uploading it to some of the many Total War modding file depots out there on the web), or the game will automatically share user-created maps when a player who doesn’t have your map tries to join your game.

Do CA have any plans to support TEd more in future?
    We’ll regularly feature the best community maps on Rally Point, our community show. We’re also planning to implement a full official wiki at some point in the near future, as a forum for continued discussion between CA and the community.

Can I create night battles in TEd?

By loading different environment files into TEd, you can adjust how your map will look in the editor. These settings, however, can be overwritten by your selection in the game menu when launching your map. So if you want to create a night map, be sure to select “night battle” as an option when hosting your game in order to see it as designed. Same goes for other weather conditions. For this reason, it’s wise to design your map for all conditions.

Can I place particle systems on the battlefields I create?

Yes, you can. To preview the effect of the particles you create, you can press the play button on the animation editor (by default this appears at the bottom of the screen).

Senior Member General

Will it be possible to add castle maps created with TEd into the campaign?
    Looking forward to what the community makes of the new mod tools!

The Creative Assembly Lance Corporal Elliott Lock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Will it be possible to add castle maps created with TEd into the campaign?
    This is not a supported feature, but this doesn't mean it's not theoretically possible.

Elliott
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Follow @elliottlock

I would love to see a campaign map editor ...

I would use it to create 1 on 1, balanced, competitive maps.

PD. actually with simply CA releasing a couple of competitive campaign maps I'd be very happy and would start playing multiplayer again.

Junior Member Private

Can you create Shallow Water? I haven't been able to find any sort of water other than puddles.

Thanks so much for this awesome tool btw

The Creative Assembly Lance Corporal Elliott Lock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeathbarCrunch View Post
    Can you create Shallow Water? I haven't been able to find any sort of water other than puddles.

Thanks so much for this awesome tool btw
    Hi HeathbarCrunch,

Water only works on a single plain. You need to set the terrain height to "-" to produce a river. If memory serves me right I believe a height of -0.1 to -0.5 will create a ford.

Hope this helps,

Elliott
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Follow @elliottlock

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Lock View Post
    Hi HeathbarCrunch,

Water only works on a single plain. You need to set the terrain height to "-" to produce a river. If memory serves me right I believe a height of -0.1 to -0.5 will create a ford.

Hope this helps,

Elliott
    So I lower the land but then how do I add the water?

Junior Member Private

It should appear automatically if you lower below 0.

Junior Member Private

Default hey mate, i cant find the map editor in the tools!!

i cant find it, when i went to my shogun 2 game, it said something to agree with the agrrement,and then i did, my game looks a bnit different, but i dont know how to start? where i click to edit this thing???!!

Junior Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhound1 View Post
    It should appear automatically if you lower below 0.
    Oooooooooh right cause the map starts at 10. Got it!

Thanks so much!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast