Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no Squares?

Junior Member Private JohnkSmith's Avatar

Default Why no Squares?

I know Infantry Squares were nearing the end of their usefulness but during this time period they were still in use. Why must we consistently deal with Cavalry shellgames and spamming without the NORMAL method of countering them.
    90% of the people you fight exploit this fact. 2 or 3 Infantry Squares and most of these people wouldn't stand a chance

Senior Member Master and Commander Tyer032392's Avatar

Some players have already made a thread about this.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...uare-formation

Try looking there for answers on how to dodge cavalry.
    Having Attila unplayable for Total war: Attila is just like making Napoleon: Total War and having Napoleon and France unplayable.

Senior Member Brigadier Colonel Mallard's Avatar

Guns being so powerful and accurate now, I don't think it's necessary to give infantry an ability that makes them immune to cavalry. Hell, why not just give them that? It would do the same as squares to the gameplay...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

this disaster... will have been preventable. I intend to tender my resignation... once it occurs.

Total War:Rome 2 - Rome Softer

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mallard View Post
    Guns being so powerful and accurate now, I don't think it's necessary to give infantry an ability that makes them immune to cavalry. Hell, why not just give them that? It would do the same as squares to the gameplay...
    Revolver cavalry is also good at anti-cavalry combat with their fast reload rate.
    Having Attila unplayable for Total war: Attila is just like making Napoleon: Total War and having Napoleon and France unplayable.

Senior Member Field-Marshall

Revolver cavalry would also destroy any squares. The firepower that armies of this day and age had was far too great for squares to be efficient, which is why it's not present in the game. Besides that, the square formation simply wasn't used in the Boshin war.

Quote Originally Posted by damadman228 View Post
    Revolver cavalry would also destroy any squares. The firepower that armies of this day and age had was far too great for squares to be efficient, which is why it's not present in the game. Besides that, the square formation simply wasn't used in the Boshin war.
    Not only that, but artillery can decimate square formations as well, especially seeing how their shrapnel shot has the same range as the explosive shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mallard View Post
    You know that could just be why Cavalry first evolved to Mounted Infantry then evolved into Armored vehicles. I'm not asking where is some piece of equipment that made men immune to the charge of cavalry, I,m asking why I'm not allowed to use normal widespread commonly used defenses. As to "gameplay" I have been a fan of Total War Since the first Shogun because it reasonably depicted reality, if I wanted to just play a game I would have bought axis and allies.

Senior Member Master and Commander Half Life Expert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnkSmith View Post
    I know Infantry Squares were nearing the end of their usefulness but during this time period they were still in use. Why must we consistently deal with Cavalry shellgames and spamming without the NORMAL method of countering them.
    90% of the people you fight exploit this fact. 2 or 3 Infantry Squares and most of these people wouldn't stand a chance
    squares require bayonets, which FOTS does not have
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

"A Strange Game. The only winning move is not to play"- W.O.P.R from Wargames (1983)

The WWI Thread: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...emed-total-war

Neither were the tactics used by gamers that exploit this lack.

tell ya what you bring 3 units of revolver cav Ill take 1 English NTW line inf and we will see how well that cav does being shot to pieces long before they open fire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast