Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavalry exploit

Senior Member Field-Marshall Tyer032392's Avatar

How many Warrior Monk cav were you using? I was fighting someone who had like around 3 WM cav and 2 Yari cav and he managed to get my cavalry bogged down in the fighting. I know that if you support the WM cav with another cav unit from Shogun 2, you can cause some severe damage against FoTS cavalry.
    A bad Metacritic score does not equal a bad game, just as a good Metacritic score does not equal a good game. - Tyer032392 (If you want to use, you are more than welcome to it).

At first I was surprised with the comments made by some people about qed_deq's find but remembering this is the TW community I wasn't so surprised anymore. Ducky and qed_deq pretty much laid it out what's wrong and even give evidence. It doesn't take much intelligence to understand that they are talking about.

Senior Member Corporal

First time I tried to recreate it, just micro'd a light cav whole fight in 8k battle through kat sam:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...D43C84DFF80AF/

This needs to be fixed asap

Moderator Master and Commander Hidden Gunman's Avatar

It's a find that has been there since day 1, AMP...I'm surprised you weren't aware of it.

Those of us who are downplaying it are doing so for the reason that it only becomes a problem if a player either isn't capable of facing a cav swarm, or doesn't react to it when it comes. I've had it attempted on me, and it didn't work, simply because cav swarming doesn't work on high morale high vet builds backed with good vet cav.
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Gunman View Post
    It's a find that has been there since day 1, AMP...I'm surprised you weren't aware of it.

Those of us who are downplaying it are doing so for the reason that it only becomes a problem if a player either isn't capable of facing a cav swarm, or doesn't react to it when it comes. I've had it attempted on me, and it didn't work, simply because cav swarming doesn't work on high morale high vet builds backed with good vet cav.
    The cav still gets free kills as it runs through invulnerable. How isn't that a problem?

Played properly, you can bog them down and wipe them out...it's the morale collapse that is the threat, so you react to avoid that, and that's where better quality units come into their own.

I'm not saying it isn't an issue, only that there are worse ones out there...such as the reverse problem where charging cavalry stop on the first line of troops they hit, which is utterly ridiculous. Realistically, horses moving at pretty much any speed either shove people out of the way or go over the top of them, anyone who has worked with them will tell you that...so the only reason this is an issue is from a game-play perspective.

Edit:

Well, I've looked at the new 'closer view' video, and I see an army hit in the flank by a massive cav build which has rally and banzai active...I also see the defending morale drop like crazy as it is simply overrun...and I really think the reason the cav doesn't take many losses is simply because the defending units collapsed before they could do much damage...although the question is 'were those defending units given attack orders, or were they simply standing there or still moving?'. If they weren't given attack orders, then it is hypocritical to think that they should get kills and the cavalry shouldn't. I would really suggest that most of the kills the cavalry got was from routing units, although I have to admit that my eyesight isn't that good enough to clearly see any of the mouse-over data.
    Last edited by Hidden Gunman; 06-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    Yes, it's me.

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

Senior Member Corporal

You don't understand, the unit is invulnerable. Second test, my 1 unit vs his entire army.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...46901617552358

(the unit only lost 15 men before he rage quit)

Good point...but I think this is caused by the correcting of an earlier problem which was identified way back when - and that was that moving cavalry would get entangled up when it collided with only a couple of men, or hit the end of a strung out unit. There was a fair bit of complaining about that soon after release, and this is more than likely the by-product of that fix.
    Yes, it's me.

Senior Member Corporal

I can only conclude that the players in the replays I provided were incredibly bad at abusing the bug (but were clearly still trying to) because the extent of the imbalance is far beyond what I expected pre-testing

Senior Member Major-General AggonyDuck's Avatar

Yeah, it really comes down to keeping the unit moving. If you keep the unit moving after the initial contact, it simply put won't take losses. And it is also near impossible to bog it down, especially if the cav is used en masse. It is extremely gamebreaking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast