Total War Forums

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Lusted's exclusive TWC dev thread

The Creative Assembly Lieutenant Jack Lusted's Avatar

I've posted a new update in the thread on TWc talking about languages:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...7#post12076787

Hi all,

After a little break as my attention has been taken up with the release of the Assembly Kit and Steam Workshop integration for Shogun 2, today I am answering a question that has certain been a hot topic for discussion recently.

Q. Will ancient languages such as Latin be spoken by soldiers, generals and agents in Rome II?

A. This is a question with an interesting answer so this is a fairly long one, you have been warned.

All voice overs in Rome II will be in English (or other localised language such as French etc.) and this is for good reason.

First off is the difficulty of doing ancient languages. Whilst some such as Latin and classical Greek are well known, others such as Celtic and proto-Germanic are not. We would not only have to spend a large amount of time working with experts in those languages to translate what we want our voice actors to say, we would also have to train the voice actors in those ancient languages. Then there is also the fact that doing so many different ancient languages restricts the amount of voice overs we can get recorded for each one massively reducing the potential variety.

Secondly, and this is the big reason for us, is the fact we want to do more with voices. On the battlefield for example, have soldiers being far more reactive to what is going on around them. One example of what we are looking at doing, remember game is pre-alpha, is when a soldier is hit by a missile and dies soldiers nearby will react both visibly and audibly. We also want soldiers saying things that are useful to the player, talking about how they’ve been flanked.

Thirdly, as we are recording voices in one language we can record a lot more of them, not only allowing us to do voices for more situations but greater variety for them as well so they do not get repetitive.

Doing more with voices will allow us to add far more immersion into the game in both battles and campaign, and is a key part of us pushing the human face of Total War.

Moderator Master and Commander Hardwaremaster's Avatar

Thank you very much for your post on here and over at TWC Jack. Fantastic news that you are experimenting with the interaction between soldiers during battle. I am really looking forward to seeing if that comes to Fruition. Sounds like that would add the sounds of the chaos of battle to the battles. Something I have wanted for a while.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    MikeB said: "Little horses are not epic. They are little"

""True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches"

My PC: (2x 670GTX 4GB) (16GB DDR3 2133mhz) (I7 3770K OC 3.9Ghz) (256GB+128GB SSD+2TB drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles

Moderator Master and Commander dge1's Avatar

Excellent news Jack. Thanks for the update.
    A people without history is like wind on the buffalo grass - Sioux Proverb.

Forum Terms & Conditions

Senior Member Lieutenant mr_orbit's Avatar

Thanks for the update Jack, it sounds very interesting!
    And I don't think the warning is needed, I can't imagine anyone here minding a long answer if it's good information provided
    What would you have me do, Caesar?

Its been a little while since his last Q&A, perhaps we will get one early next week!

Im hoping for a few tidbits on navel warfare personally.

""True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches"

My PC: (2x 670GTX 4GB) (16GB DDR3 2133mhz) (I7 3770K OC 3.9Ghz) (256GB+128GB SSD+2TB drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles

Junior Member Private

i don't now where to post this. But i have a idea for total war Rome 2. I have the idea when your army is defending in a
    dangerous
    area, (where you in other total war games can make a fort) is my suggestion that you can make your fort with better defences
    like:
    sharp pointed wood, and when you make a fort in the mountains you can make burning haystacks that you can roll down the hilltop!!!.

i hope you like it

Carphunter

Thanks Jack!
    Understandably a Roman soldier exclaiming something during the battle in Latin will probably have little to no impact on a person not capable of understanding Latin (and let's face it... only a select few in the world can).

I wish I was one of the select few. my sis is learning latin from Rosseta stone!! so there is hope for me! maybe I can use it after she does.

Banned Major-General

At least give the Romans some accent .... please ...

Banned Sergeant

If everybody sounds american I'm going to freak out. Barbarians had better sound like barbarians, Romans like Romans and so on. I can understand them all speaking English but they should at least sound like the faction they are representing.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast