Total War Forums

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspected System Requirements for Rome 2

Senior Member Sergeant TheAmerican's Avatar

Question Suspected System Requirements for Rome 2

As everyone obviously knows, Rome II is being built on a completely different scale than any other TW before it. Because of that, I'm going to guess the type of computer needed to run the game will be on a whole new scale than was previously needed. I bought a new PC in prep for Shogun 2 and I'm afraid I might need a total overhaul to run the new game!
    Which now leads to my question. What does everyone think the system requirements to run the game, let alone play on higher settings? I also feel making the games difficult to run, will turn off a lot of players from the game. Because, as much as we would all love to have NASA style PCs, we can't truly afford it.
    So please everyone help me out so I can prepare for this great new game that I am so excited for!
    -------------------------
    Favorite Total Wars:
    1 Total War: Shogun 2
    2 Napoleon Total War
    3 Rome Total War
    4 Empire Total War
    5 Medieval 2 Total War
    "What matters is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower
    ---------------------------

Senior Member Master and Commander Tyer032392's Avatar

Well, if CA is going to start the 64bit code, than you will at least need a duel core processor. Here is what I believe Rome 2 might need, but am only taking a wild guess.

Minimum Requirements:
    -Operating System-Windows Vista,7, and 8.
    -Processor- Dual Core processor.
    -Memory- 2gigs
    -Video Card- Somewhere between AMD 5770 and 7*** series.

Preferred Requirements:
    -OS-Windows Vista, 7, and 8.
    -Processor- Dual Core, maybe Quad Core
    -Meory- 4Gigs Ram
    -Video Card- Amd 6*** series and up.
    Having Attila unplayable for Total war: Attila is just like making Napoleon: Total War and having Napoleon and France unplayable.

Senior Member Sergeant TheAmerican's Avatar

Ok that's about what i thought........My current PC is:
    Athlon II X4 645
    6GB
    AMD 5750
    According to what you just said, that should make me alright for Rome II...........I'm just a little concerned for my video card. Maybe a 5770 or do you think I'm going to need a 6000 series?
    -------------------------
    Favorite Total Wars:
    1 Total War: Shogun 2
    2 Napoleon Total War
    3 Rome Total War
    4 Empire Total War
    5 Medieval 2 Total War
    "What matters is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower
    ---------------------------

Administrator Master and Commander AlJabberwock's Avatar

While I don't believe this is a healthy thread given how little we know (including the minor fact that the developer itself has really no clear idea - nor can it - at so early a stage) nor one to be particularly informative, I WILL say I doubt minimums will be set quite so high, and recommended requirements cannot possibly be imagined since hardware available to the consumer will change AGAIN probably before they can even ISSUE such a recommendation.

In point of fact, I have it in mind to close this thread and leave it stickied like a severed head on a pike as a warning, not to misinform the unfamiliar with hardware. Very very dangerous and under review.
    Al
    "Do what I mean, not what I say!"
    ~Marvin Dodd

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al
    Forum Rules

Moderator Master and Commander Hardwaremaster's Avatar

Hardware has been changing a lot in terms of Archetecture in the past 2 years. And is looking like it will change even more in the next 2 yearts. Its entirely possible that the hardware which will be most common then is not even out yet. I think its too early to really have a conjecture on this type of thing.

However there can be a certain amount of speculation, and on that note I agree mostly with what Tyer has said.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    MikeB said: "Little horses are not epic. They are little"

"True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR3 2133mhz) (I7 5980E OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSD in RAID0+2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles

Senior Member Major

Technology increases 50% per year until we probably reach the 25-35nm process die. So I would say... just add 50% lol. IMO doesn't look like a new engine, just looks like a modded one under a new name.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmerican View Post
    Ok that's about what i thought........My current PC is:
    Athlon II X4 645
    6GB
    AMD 5750
    According to what you just said, that should make me alright for Rome II...........I'm just a little concerned for my video card. Maybe a 5770 or do you think I'm going to need a 6000 series?
    As I have said, that is a rough estimate of what I think might be the requirements, but I would not buy an entire new computer until we know for sure. I would upgrade my graphics card though to maybe a 7*** series as they have 2Gbs of Vram.

Edit: heck, the 8*** and 9*** series might even be out around that time, but I am pretty sure that the 5770 series will not be very good for Rome 2, and seeing how the 6*** series is not but a rebranded 5950 series, I would just skip the 6*** series and keep an eye on the 7*** series, as that should be more than enough to run Rome 2, I think.
    Last edited by Tyer032392; 07-04-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Having Attila unplayable for Total war: Attila is just like making Napoleon: Total War and having Napoleon and France unplayable.

Moderator Master and Commander Hardwaremaster's Avatar

VRAM is definitely important, much more important than it used to be. The total war games of late have been monster memory hoggers. That goes without saying. but I would wait to buy a new card unless you need it. At least until almost release time.

Im hoping that this go around they take out Vertex animation data from the Geometry files so we can see much less being used for Geo rendering. That should help.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    MikeB said: "Little horses are not epic. They are little"

"True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR3 2133mhz) (I7 5980E OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSD in RAID0+2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles

Here is what I would do, once all of your bills are paid(assuming you are an adult), put your left over money into the bank and put a hold on it and save up enough money to build a new computer, apart from the processor, which should be fine, but I myself would replace everything else. If you are a minor, save up money to get new computer parts, and upgrade it gradually over the next few years, the first thing that should be upgraded is the amount of Ram your machine has, I would increase it to 8Gigs myself, the next thing would buy a new power supply and fans to keep your computer running to the best it can, and prevent problems with overheating, and lastly, half a year before Rome 2 comes out, buy a new graphics card, as I highly doubt buying a graphics card 6 months before Rome 2 comes out will be obsolete by the time Rome 2 does come.

Senior Member Colonel IBlewaFuse's Avatar

I read somewhere that they want to keep the minimum specs the same as Shogun II's.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast