Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SQUALOR!!! Idea for Rome 2

Junior Member Private

Default SQUALOR!!! Idea for Rome 2

Rome total war was a great game but no matter how much you built up your cities you were sure to get squalor. Sure you could get public baths to increase the cleanliness of a city but that squalor would still be there! The only way you could actually get rid of it was to make the city rebel and then exterminate the citizens! PLEASE CA fix this!
    Maybe you could hire citizens to clean the city which would get rid of squalor for as long as they are working. You would pay them according to how long they would work.

Member Private

Quote Originally Posted by mistergame2 View Post
    Rome total war was a great game but no matter how much you built up your cities you were sure to get squalor. Sure you could get public baths to increase the cleanliness of a city but that squalor would still be there! The only way you could actually get rid of it was to make the city rebel and then exterminate the citizens! PLEASE CA fix this!
    Maybe you could hire citizens to clean the city which would get rid of squalor for as long as they are working. You would pay them according to how long they would work.
    OH wholeheartly agreed.....

I started a new game when Rome 2 was announced and that is the one frustrating thing i remember. It can be done better.

Technical Moderator Field-Marshall doinwork34's Avatar

Hey! I was playing Rome earlier and I was thinking the same thing...kind of...
    I think that squalor get worse the faster the population grows. Ive only figured out how to counter it by health buildings and training lots of units from the province to slow the population growth. So I was thinking: 1.) I hope that they bring back the recruiting-lowers population thing, also including enslaving conquered regions to disperse amongs your other regions to boost population. 2.) Assuming they put this back into the game, maybe there will be a way to move populations around by "colonizing" other provinces that have low population with provinces that are overcrowded. That being said, you have to remember that just becasue its Rome2 doesnt mean that its going to be just like Rome1. Remember, that it will have more in common with s2 (obviously, but much much more beefed up) with the possibility of features from R1 being re-applied to it.

Member Private

Agreed. That's why I eventually left Rome TW. If Rome 2 have the same problem, I would rather go back to Medieval 2.

Yeah this was one of the most annoying things in the game. Im pretty sure Rome 2 will be safe from that issue
    The North Remembers

You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.

Senior Member Master and Commander Clover's Avatar

Squalor was the single most annoying thing in the game, more than the non-existent diplomatic system, or the sudden surge of corruption during the final stage of a game. You had to routinely abandon and reconquer your cities just to slaughter the populace so they would stay Yellow or Green. It was the primary reason why stone walls had been the biggest fortification I would make outside of my permanent border regions, and even still most of my inner cities didn't get fortifications at all!
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Senior Member Captain triscuit21's Avatar

Yeah I remember Carthage always having particularly bad squalor problems. I usually had an entire army near Carthage just so I could trigger a rebellion, retake the city with the army, and then exterminate the populace to get squalor levels down.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other ******* die for his."
    - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Senior Member Master and Commander daelin4's Avatar

RTW's population size was not influenced by the walls which was the case for MTW2. I used to have Huge cities with no walls, so that when they got too populous I would let them revolt and siege them without worrying about time for surrender. Also, since spawned rebel forces depended on what structures you had, I'd destroy all the barracks and blacksmiths so they'd all be level-9 peasants.

After MTW2 population numbers were no longer a principle factor in region growth- the numbers were abstract. In Shogun2 there were no numbers at all, the growth of population was reflected through wealth.

If squalor were to return to Rome2, I think it would have to be changed to suit the new game's environment. I think it should just contribute towards ensuring plague's duration be minimized, or some other indirect effects.

As for hiring people, I think certain militia-level units should give bonuses to the towns they are stationed in; in ETW, dragoons gave a boosted garrison bonus to public order; so a Rome2 idea would be to have certain militia units contribute to minimizing squalor. Or if not, generals' and agents' traits would fulfill that role.

Urban cohorts for example, would be a top-tier spawned garrison of legionaries, while vigilantes a lower-level spawned militia. Trainable garrisons like Volunteer Militia would contribute to squalor reduction, whilst Town Watch could add garrison bonus.
    Last edited by daelin4; 07-10-2012 at 05:24 AM.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code][code] in your post.

+ Reply to Thread