Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What factions do you want to see in Rome 2's campaign and custom battle?

Junior Member Private

I agree with most of my fellow RTW players on most everything (representation of all cultures, use of "buffer" factions would be a plus, strong spread of possible alliances) except for the Greek pieces. At the time of Rome's ascension to power, Greece was mainly divided into, as one of you mentioned, the Achaean League, the Aetolian League, and Sparta (gotta love the Spartans). Then there was the dominant force in the north that was Macedonia (duh).

I don't believe there should be a "Greek Cities" faction...I love the idea of starting the game with the Achaean and Aetolian Leagues along with Sparta as an independent faction. Of the free parts of Greece (south of Macedon), the northern sector was controlled by the Aetolian League (mainly Athens) while the southern sector was owned by the Achaean League (save for Sparta, of course). Each League would start with 2-3 cities; I've done a little bit of research but am still confused as to which MAJOR cities lie within each league besides Athens in the Aetolian and Corinth in the Achaean. Also, from what I can tell, Kydonia (Crete) joined the Achaean while Rhodes was with the Aetolian which gives each League a strong island presence away from the mainland. To me, that would be interesting - have the Aetolians (Athens and Rhodes), Achaeans (Corinth and Kydonia), and the Spartans occupy the non-Macedonians sectors of Greece to begin the game. Each would have their own sigil and so on and so forth. Throw in Syracuse and Pergamum as allies of Achaean and Aetolian, respectively, and you have party.

However, my main idea would for what happens if you join together all these cities. If you start as one of the Greek factions (Achaean, Aetolian, or Spartan), you would have the option to create a whole new faction with a new sigil and name called "The United Greek Cities" or something to that respect, if you conquer all the required cities. You would gain the advantages each may have (access to Spartan Hoplites, technology, etc...) by forming this new faction. This would be a more advanced version of what one could do in the Medieval Total War II Teutonic expansion where, if playing as Denmark, one could form a more powerful "Union of Kalmar" after gaining certain Scandinavian cities and killing the King of Norway. Denmark, now known as the Union of Kalmar, gained access to three new units and raised a different sigil.

When playing against the Greek factions, however, the union would be formed after a certain number of turns if all the pertinent cities still remained under control of the three factions in question. This would make it important for one, if playing as the Selucids, Macedonians, Romans, etc... to take at least one of the cities early so as to prevent the permanent alliance later on.

While it may be out there, I like to think it's still in the realm of possibility. I've always been a huge fan of the Greek Cities faction and would like to have more options when it comes to selection and eventual expansion.
    Last edited by Sully711; 07-23-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Senior Member Field-Marshall Sashimig's Avatar

I disagree.

If we look more closely at the time (ca280 BC) we can see a lot of independent Greek cities. Major Greek powers were Athens, Achaean league, Aetolian league, Epiros, Sparta, Rhodes, the cities from Asia Minor or Sicily, Byzantium...
    Athens was not part of the Aetolian league then Greeks should be represented by at least 8 to ten factions with at least one playable (Athens?).to have a big number of Greek cities/factions will be more interesting and close to reality.
    "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head"

Euripides

Junior Member Private

We want to see also an arabic faction as a playable faction if the game wil be in B.C .

If the game will Continue until A.D i ask these two arabic faction Ghassanids , Lakhmids

Ghassanids were an ally of rome which were in Jordon .

Lakhmids were ally of Persian which were in Southern Iraq, and made al-Hirah their capital.

MY thanks

Member Lance Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by moath View Post
    We want to see also an arabic faction as a playable faction if the game wil be in B.C .

If the game will Continue until A.D i ask these two arabic faction Ghassanids , Lakhmids

Lakhmids were ally of Persian which were in Southern Iraq, and made al-Hirah their capital.

MY thanks
    A bit late for a game beginning in the Roman republican era I think. The Saba and Nabateans would make more sense... And it would be nice to see Meroic faction....

Quote Originally Posted by Sashimig View Post
    Major Greek powers were Athens, Achaean league, Aetolian league, Epiros, Sparta, Rhodes, the cities from Asia Minor or Sicily, Byzantium...
    Athens was not part of the Aetolian league then Greeks should be represented by at least 8 to ten factions with at least one playable (Athens?).to have a big number of Greek cities/factions will be more interesting and close to reality.
    Why should out of them all Athens be playable? One of the most passive and unimportant factions in this era. Their great time was long gone. Sure it remained a big important and culturally rich city but with low political power left. And sometimes it was an Ally of the Aetolians while during other times it was dominated by Macedon. So the playable Greeks should be one of the three powers named above. For popularity reasons it will with a huge likelihood be Sparta. Aetolia has a poorer starting position gameplaywise and Acheans also with Corinth being a Macedonian fortress.

And who knows how many mainland Greek factions we will see? What they told about huger (but splitted?) provinces would also mean less possible factions in a small area like southern Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by moath View Post

Well I hope we will see also a Fall of Rome standalone-expansion. There we could use these two factions. But in a game about the BC eras?
    Last edited by Pikenier; 07-24-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Member Private

Iberia
    -Lusitanians
    -Celtiberia
    - 1 or 2 other Major tribes in Iberia such as Cantabrians and Asturians
    -City of Emporion

Gaul
    -Aedui
    -Averni
    -Belgae
    -City of Massalia

Germania
    -Suebic alliance
    -4 to 6 other German tribes (Chatti, Bastarnae, Lugii, Saxons for example)
    -Boii

Alpine
    -Helvetti
    -Noricum

British
    -Irish tribe (Goidellic tribe or something like that?)
    -Caledonia
    -Casse
    -Other major british tribes

Eastern Europe/Asian Border
    -Getai
    -Thrace
    -Sarmatians
    -Scythians
    -Perhaps a few Baltic tribes

Mediterranean
    -Rome (duh)
    -Epeiros
    -Macedonia
    -Each of the major Greek city states (although I believe Athens, Rhodes, and Sparta were in an alliance)

African
    -Mauretania
    -Carthage
    -Numidia
    -Cyrenacia

Asian
    -Galatia
    -Greek city states in Asia (Pergamum being a big one)
    -Pontus
    -Armenia
    -Ptolemaioi
    -Seleucia
    -Parthians
    -Baktria
    -Perhaps a couple arab factions
    -Saka/Yuezhi
    -Perhaps a major West-Indian faction (Don't want Baktria getting bored)

honestly i hated that not all the faction were in the custom battle that was one of my favorite parts of RTW and METW2 i understand it for Empire were only a small variety assisted between nations but in napoleon there was a big enough difference to have more then they did. im not sure if its still that way in shogun but i would like to see every nation playable in the custom battles or in the campaign game because i like playing the people i can't in campaign.
    cheers
    risker

Banned Brigadier

Sorry, which ones were they? I don't remmber all of them. ^___^''

Banned Brigadier

Nice list dude, I couldn't come up with a one better one myself.
    Last edited by chubbyninja89; 07-24-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Senior Member Field-Marshall wilo1066's Avatar

For me the answer is simple all the really well known.and any more added must have the detail and varity of the rest such as in there culture because as the title says ROME TOTALWAR 2.lots of detail and attention will be afforded to the romans. So any and all must be diverse and have there own unique style to make this the rome it will be sorry im already getting exited
    wilo1066

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast