Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make someone your protectorate

Junior Member Private

Default How to make someone your protectorate

Hey I am playing a campaign with Egypt and it is going well, but there is just one thing annoying me to hell. The seleucids and Pontus both got only 1 city remaining and when I offer them huge ammounts of gold (and I mean huge even includes regular tributes) they keep declining my offers. which annoys me because I don't wanna kill them. So any good advices for what I can do? thanks.

Administrator and Co-Lead Moderator Master and Commander Dionysius the Mighty's Avatar

I'm afraid I can't really help you here, as I have never managed to get a protectorate playing Rome, and I've been playing it since release. All I know is they have to have only one province, but that's it. I've tried destroying their armies, offering them massive amounts of cash, some territory, but nothing.

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions

Senior Member Colonel flamingryu30's Avatar

well i think it is all in the situation ive had this happen many times but usually it works for me especially when I am surrounding their city with about 5 full stacks P.S. thats what I call OVERKILL haha

Senior Member Sergeant Prince of Macedonia's Avatar

The diplomacy in Rome is ridiculous. You have the same chance of having the AI accept a protectorate proposal when they have 20 cities as when they have 1. They computer doesn't use common sense and pretty much just does whatever it feels like.

ah sounds like me about every single day haha

I have noticed that if you put the diplomat in a strong army, the chances increase that the proposals will be accepted.
    But I never found useful protectorates. They can break the treaty in an arbitrary manner.

Oh, this might be an idea for RTW2: You can ask for troops to protectorates, in this way increases the value of protectorates and tactics become more diverse.

What do you think?

I like that idea it sounds nice but it would be nice to have in RTW as well but too bad oh well but like I said before I have found it helpful when you have about 5 full stacks surrounding a city waiting to crush the people inside if they reject your offer

Senior Member Sergeant Prince of Macedonia's Avatar

I have found that even with 5 stacks surrounding the last enemy, they still manage to maintain the belief that they have the upper hand..

not with me ha i guess it just me haha

Senior Member Major azndomin8tion's Avatar

you need full influence diplomat to even have a CHANCE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast