Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roman Legion Battle Tactics

Junior Member Private theBIGottoman's Avatar

Default Roman Legion Battle Tactics

I really hope CA will implement all the tactics the Romans employed in terms of formations and animations. I would love to see the legions use drill techniques like the front-line unit rotation. (See video @0:36)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-pUxfmr8s
    It could be for example, when there is unit cohesion and drill is performed, the legionaries gain huge offensive and defensive bonuses, and can slice through the enemy. But if cohesion is broken (say the legion is charged on the flank by enemy shock troops, or has been hit head on by elephants or chariots) the unit loses its ability to perform drill in the chaos and loses much of its combat effectiveness.
    These sorts of drill techniques should be mainly be automatic as opposed to requiring micromanagement. Maybe testudo can still be left up to the player, but for example if a unit is idle, under arrow attack, and no enemy melee units are near by, it should automatically enter testudo until the player gives a command or enemy units move near it.
    Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821)

Good idea!

I wonder how many people at Creative Assembly have seen the series, Rome.

I'haven't see the serie but those scenes are totally true!

Junior Member Private theBIGottoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindFrag View Post
    I wonder how many people at Creative Assembly have seen the series, Rome.
    I think a lot have just based on the visual style of the game. Titus pulo easter egg anyone?
    Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821)

Banned Brigadier

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGottoman View Post
    I really hope CA will implement all the tactics the Romans employed in terms of formations and animations. I would love to see the legions use drill techniques like the front-line unit rotation. (See video @0:36)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-pUxfmr8s
    It could be for example, when there is unit cohesion and drill is performed, the legionaries gain huge offensive and defensive bonuses, and can slice through the enemy. But if cohesion is broken (say the legion is charged on the flank by enemy shock troops, or has been hit head on by elephants or chariots) the unit loses its ability to perform drill in the chaos and loses much of its combat effectiveness.
    These sorts of drill techniques should be mainly be automatic as opposed to requiring micromanagement. Maybe testudo can still be left up to the player, but for example if a unit is idle, under arrow attack, and no enemy melee units are near by, it should automatically enter testudo until the player gives a command or enemy units move near it.
    I'd think that having the Romans get a ability like that would be nice in the campaign, I don't think they should get it in MP cause that'd be pretty unfair.

Senior Member Master and Commander Mackles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theBIGottoman View Post
    Titus pulo easter egg anyone?
    Retainer for your Caesar? That would be an awesome little nod to a great show!

In a perfect world, as or after Rome II is released, HBO decides to make a 3rd season of Rome.

Senior Member Master and Commander daelin4's Avatar

Everyone's treating HBO Rome's first battle scene like it was historic reality. No one knows whether they really did that. Historicity aside, there's also the issue of balance and making it a technical reality.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code][code] in your post.

Member Lance Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    Everyone's treating HBO Rome's first battle scene like it was historic reality. No one knows whether they really did that. Historicity aside, there's also the issue of balance and making it a technical reality.
    Yeah, it looked good but there is no historical evidence supporting the TV-series interpretation of how the Romans fought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast