Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Mss32.dll crash - still getting this error on all TW titles! Getting fed up.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

During battles only, mainly when zoomed in on untis. Can happen anywhere between 1st battle onwards.

The Creative Assembly Field-Marshall Nicklaus's Avatar

Disable anti-aliasing in Video/Graphic options and see if the zoom crash issue persists. You may also have to change the Shader Model.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quick solutions to common FotS problems :
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ed-26-03-2012)

Hi Nicklaus, Thanks for the reply.

Look, I am not being funny or anything but the reason I bought this computer was to play this game on full settings, with particular emphasis on unit detail and anti aliasing. If I need to turn off AA in order to get this game to work, then essentially I have just wasted £2000 in order to play this game!

I will try it none the less and post back with the results.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TWGAMER666; 11-01-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGAMER666 View Post
    Hi Nicklaus, Thanks for the reply.

Look, I am not being funny or anything but the reason I bought this computer was to play this game on full settings, with particular emphasis on unit detail and anti aliasing. If I need to turn off AA in order to get this game to work, then essentially I have just wasted £2000 in order to play this game!

I will try it none the less and post back with the results.

Thanks.
    I completely understand your sentiment, especially since you have a top notch graphics card. The "Crash when zooming in" has occurred before for other users, who had average graphics cards, and turning off AA fixed the problem for them. We need to see if the same occurs for you, and if it doesn't, we'll move on to figuring out what could be causing the problem.

If turning off AA does solve the problem, then we'll need to investigate this internally, as the GTX 680 shouldn't be suffering such an issue, hence why I've asked you to try this.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Hi Nicklaus,

What you say is fair, and to be totally honest with you it's not you or the Creative Assembly I'm angry with, it's DELL - (IF this be a hardware fault and not software) - I should not be getting these kinds of problems on a system of this calibre, I've looked forward to an alienware for so long to play certain games, total war being the main one, and I still get problems. Sometimes I think I'm cursed you know.

At least you are providing me with assistance unlike others that won't be mentioned (nothing to do with CA or this website/forum).

Ok, getting back to the subject, game didn't crash yesterday after 7 hours of gameplay, but as per usual I need more time to assess what's going on here. I have a replacement graphics card ready at hand if that is at fault. If not - I will keep the extra card and use as SLI.

Thank you for the continued support and suggestion. Once again mate, I will be busy all day tomorrow at work and will be tired when I get back and probably go straight to sleep, so Saturday will be next time I update here. I will send you a PM too if that's ok with you.

Ok, crashed again at 20:10 tonight, so I decided to do a few changes to PC.
    Crash was a shogun2.dll crash and I am wondering if it had something to do with retreating from a settlement on the campaign map, as this was the last thing I did before it crashed. So not on the battle map this time.

Have now swapped graphics card to replacement 680gtx.
    Also, while I was in there, I decided that seing as though te Creative soundblaster card is all but useless and disabled on the system, I have taken it out of the computer and uninstalled everything to do with it (that I can see at least) - There is a file left over in windows with some shared dll's - so didn't want to mess too much.

Lets see how it goes. I will update on Saturday.

EDIT & UPDATE:
    Please can you tell me what generally causes a "shogun2.dll" error? I think I may be on to something. On the 12th I reported it as crashing 4 times on the campaign map when I initiated the same actions to try and see what caused the problem. Yesterday when it crashed was also a shogun2.dll problem - also a problem initiating something on the campaign map - nothing to do with battles.

Yesterday I played 12 battles in over 7 hours in one large gaming session without any crashes. The only difference is that I have installed norton utilities and done a registry scan before hand - found 154 registry errors and fixed them all (apparently) - but since then the battles are running great (crossing fingers). So I am just wondering if the shogin2.dll error is something to do with a game fault and not a hardware fault. If so, then my hardware is fine and it is the registry that was ******ed.

That being the case - I can live with minor game crashes during the campaign - as I generally know the cause of them and can find a way around it.

Any way, just had 3 and a half hours without any crashes again tonight. Going to test both cards together on Saturday and see what happens.

If you can let me know what *generally* causes the shogun2.dll files I would be really grateful.
    Last edited by TWGAMER666; 11-02-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Unfortunately, crashes involving the shogun2.dll can be caused by a large variety of things.

what the hell, my writting isnt showing up when I reply?

Anyway, I thought I had the problem fixed yesterday, turns out I was just lucky to have 8 hours of game play... followed by another mss32.dll crash. Have tried new graphics card. No change. Getting really depressed now, I've not been able to play a total war game without frequent crashes since medieval 2.

Turning off AA doesn't make any difference.

Any other suggestions? I don't know what else to do now other than reinstall windows, and I don't want to do that unless I know the issue will be solved for definite. *puts head in hands and sigh VERY deeply*
    Last edited by TWGAMER666; 11-04-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Tech-Hero. Master and Commander Iscaran's Avatar

OKAY - did some extensive googling on mss32.dll random crash and it looks that there are quite a few occassions where this shows up with the same randomness as in your case

for example also in games like sacred2, :
    http://darkmatters.org/forums/index....-now-and-then/
    http://forum.sacred2.com/showthread.php?t=56573

Interesting maybe this answer:
    http://forum.sacred2.com/showpost.ph...99&postcount=9
    Can you check you have the KB article 835221 installed (but from my googling I think this applies only to Windows versions before 4 Vista ?)
    But again this only points to a problem in the sound drivers causing that crash under specific system conditions...OR a faulty / corrupted mss32.dll
    => Perhaps try to get a fresh mss32.dll from the net and place it where your old one is (back up the old one - just in case)
    http://mss32dll.org/download-mss32-dll/

"This file should not be tampered with in any case. Most times, the file gets tampered with by virus attack, or some careless, adventurous computer users. Some programs have the harmful habit of making alterations to the mss32.dll file, and this can make the whole computer operating system become unstable.
    The mss32.dll file is responsible for certain audio performance in the computer system. Almost all multimedia programs in the computer draw their strength from the mss32.dll file."
    Maybe you had a virus infection in the past...

EDIT: You can also just scan your steamapps directory for mss32.dll (there should be one for each game and then check the file properties => details for the version, shogun 2 has version 8.0d).
    You could then try to back up the shogun 2 mss32.dll and use another one from a different game and see if that makes the situation worse or better. I would especially lookout for versions with a higher number then shogun2. For example Civ5 has 8.0e

Also this discussion on steam support culprits in the user shutting off Windows Media player running in background all the time to avoid MSS32.dll crashes:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2610383
    You did not happen to have an(y) media player running in background while those crashes happened ?

Lastly, did you run a memtest before ?

www.memtest.org

Run it for a LONG time, 8hours or longer (maybe overnight).
    Last edited by Iscaran; 11-04-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.

Hi Iscaran, Thank you for the links and the reply (as well as research), I had a quick look through them the other night but am going to look again in a moment.

To be honest at the moment I have become that depressed and disheartened over the whole thing I'm acutally beginning to wonder if total war is worth it. Unfortunately, I still want to play the sodding total war games that bad I am willing to go on a little more before giving up once and for all.

Ok.... please let me clear one thing up before going any further: The virus thing: No disrespect intended here - the only way I have a virus is if DELL themselves put it on my computer. I have upto date Norton internet security, which updates and scans frequently. I have had this on from the minute I bought the computer, infact, I think It's the first thing installed after installing windows updates. Windows service pack 1 was already pre-installed. Now, with regards to websites, I am so ultra safe on the internet it's stupid, and I choose only to go on official websites that are well known and reliable. Anything else, I won't touch. If there is a virus on the system, I would serioulsy like to know how. Also, have only had this system 3 months as of yesterday.

With regards to the mss32.dll, it has been deleted and re-downloaded via steam already as well as from an official windows download source (I think from a lin k posted on this forum - can't remember) (no virus or malware detected) and has made no difference what-so-ever.

My CREATIVE sb card has been uninstalled and taken out... same problem. Some software remains but there are shared dll's - don't want to delete incase it creates even more problems.

Graphics card has been replaced, swapped from one PCI express slot to the other multiple times and the drivers have been completely uninstalled and reinstalled - multiple times. Doesn't make any difference - even if I change the driver version.

I have already this weekend sent an extraordinarily long email to DELL to make an official complaint and send them a copy of 24 pages of error logs and have also threatened them with trading stanards - which I fully intent to see through should this not be resolved.

With respect to using another games mss32.dll file, Napoleon total war suffers from the exact same problem, so that probably wont make any difference.

No media player is "actively playing" in the background. I have windows media and itunes installed - but can't imagine these would be running at the same time causing the problem. I will check all the same.

Problem I have now is thus: I don't know whether it is the game causing the problem, my software causing the problem or my hardware causing the problem. Essentially, I don't know what to even do anymore - have become so stressed now that I daren't even turn on my computer, and am becoming ever reluctant to start up a total war game because the feeling of it crashing part way through a battle is now really starting to distress me.

I have come across a forum on steam that mentions that the problem could be the RAM, not necessarily because it is faulty, but because the frequency is wrong or not constant? How would I change this? Would it cause any problems? Please advise?

Right, going to check the links out, thanks again for doing some research for me, I appreciate the help - more that what DELL has done for me that's for sure. PLEASE don't give up on me yet - IF I ever find out the cause of all this it could be essential in solving other peoples problems aswell - if they are just as stressed as me right now, I would imagine they could do with a solution.

Last reply to your email - yeah I did a memory test - several infact - a DELL "pc doctor" stress test, a windows test, I used the sfc ?scannow test and I also used the Alienware BIOS memory test (UEFI?) - All results came back showing no problems. Doesn't mean the frequency can't be wrong though right?

One thing I would like more information on is the whole memory allocation issue - what can cause this? Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

As usual, I will be keeping intouch frequently.

EDIT: Doesn't appear to be connected to windows media player - it's not on list of active processes.
    Last edited by TWGAMER666; 11-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast