Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing Bodies

It should affect morale to tho, for example you have 7 units of elite archers on top of a hill behind your defensive line of of spears. Your enemy has to advance past the hundreds of soldiers who have already been killed by archers, that should affect their morale.

Member Private LuciusJuniusBrutus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerdavid View Post
    It should affect morale to tho, for example you have 7 units of elite archers on top of a hill behind your defensive line of of spears. Your enemy has to advance past the hundreds of soldiers who have already been killed by archers, that should affect their morale.
    Absolutely agree with this. Getting the psychological edge is such an important factor in warfare. If you can channel the enemy's reinforcements across terrain covered in the bodies of their fallen comrades, they should be more likely to rout.

Another factor to consider is that both your own men and the enemy units should suffer a movement cost if they're having to clamber across an obstacle course littered with maimed and bloodied corpses. Though I suspect that might be quite a difficult feature to programme.

Senior Member Major-General Green Jacket's Avatar

I find it weird how only in Napoleon and Shogun 2 the dead bodies disappear if you have it on anything below the high option :/

The lag tbh is a lot worse if the troops are alive than when they are dead so you can't really use the lag thing as an argument.....

Its always confused me .... :s
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe"

Agree. I vote for a separate option in Rome II for dead bodies. Not like in Shogun 2. Where you choose medium unit details and all dead bodies disappear.

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by jerdavid View Post
    It should affect morale too
    Definitely a good idea, and so is the movement speed idea as well. You can't run through corpses.
    Maybe even go as far to have bodies pile up as well, rather than mesh together.

Senior Member Field-Marshall SmokeScreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadSamurai View Post
    Definitely a good idea, and so is the movement speed idea as well. You can't run through corpses.
    Maybe even go as far to have bodies pile up as well, rather than mesh together.
    Bodies don't hinder speed that much...at least not in my experience

If u have 4000 casualties on a field, even if u ignore the disruption that would be caused by that many bodies on the field... That much blood spilt on the ground would cause the ground to be slick with mud caused by blood mixing with soil... And i have no doubt that slipping in mud blood would affect soldiers morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jacket View Post
    I find it weird how only in Napoleon and Shogun 2 the dead bodies disappear if you have it on anything below the high option :/

The lag tbh is a lot worse if the troops are alive than when they are dead so you can't really use the lag thing as an argument.....

Its always confused me .... :s
    exactly.
    Welcome to the internet. Where men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major theanarchist's Avatar

Very good idea to separate this as a graphic option. Some people with lower end computers should be able to choose less detail on the units while keeping all the dead bodies from disappearing if they want to and vice-versa. Of course people with extremely low end computers should also have the choice of lessening dead bodies on the field.

While we're at it, I think there should be more customizable graphic options in general. Example, the unit detail button in shogun 2 controlled the detail, disappearing bodies, and even the variety of animations (on higher settings, different men in a unit stand/walk differently while on lower setting they were all perfectly in sync). It would be nice to separate the animation options as well (maybe the player wants more varied animations instead of unit detail, or vice-versa). Shouldn't be too hard.

If CA would be truly ambitious about this (and sacrifice some consumers with bare minimum specs), they could keep the bodies and turn them into a factor in gameplay as stated by the others on this thread. Maybe instead of a morale penalty, a movement speed penalty can be caused when the bodies literally pile up (which may be quite likely at bottlenecks in the field).

After artillery strikes piling up of body parts but not bodies? I would also like to say i am not crazy, my company does mental health screening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast