Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DirectX 11 in Shogun 2

Senior Member Master and Commander Shireknight's Avatar

Default DirectX 11 in Shogun 2

How does this http://www.gamebandits.com/blog/2011...tx-11-support/ affect me with my ATI 4850?

It's time for honesty :-
    CA it's time for change, Warscape is fundamentally flawed because it's based on old (bugged) code please retire it and give us a brand new game engine from scratch, until you do this every Total War game is doomed to be bugged before it's even released.

Im certain you can turn the DX11 functionality off. Or else lots of cards out there wouldnt even be able to run it at all.

I'm thinking more about how different the game will be if you use DX 11 instead of DX 10, will it be so noticeably different that it's better just to upgrade from my 4850 to something newer or will it hardly be different at all and I should just stick with what I have?

CA it's time for change, Warscape is fundamentally flawed because it's based on old (bugged) code please retire it and give us a brand new game engine from scratch, until you do this every Total War game is doomed to be bugged before it's even released.

Yeah I am wondering whether I will need to upgrade as well, my current graphics card.. a nVidia GTS 250 1 GB doesn't support dx 11

Well, seeing as Metro 2033 is the only "flagship" DX11 game ive played I couldn't really say much. But what I can say is that the DX11 feautures in that game seem absolutely meaningless, tesselation makes things look off at some points and there was another feature that made it so everything farther than ten metres away was rediculously blurry, these features when both on dragged my FPS on max on 1920x1080 down to 30-40 FPS when the game normally runs at 50-70 FPS without the extra features. Now DX11 does look marginally better than DX10 when compared side by side but when your playing the game you really dont notice the difference. Hopefully they leave the option to choose DX11 extra features. Now mind you DX11 is pretty new so it may yet to be properely optimized.

This is our thread http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ead-first-post) , lets go bug hardwaremaster

Administrator Master and Commander AlJabberwock's Avatar

Shire,
    LOL, see my PM on that...

I am also carefully weighing the value of having a DX 11 card for that release, which is to say, I am willing a card to give up the ghost so I can buy one with a free conscience! I have a 6870 ready for a build but that is already promised for my eldest kid (Doh!)
    It would be great if someone with a DX 11 card AND title could tell us what they thought... I will say that if you have XP, it won't matter if you get a DX11 card, since MS is not supporting DX11 for XP (it is available as an update for Vista).

We actually already know from direct intervention by Craig and some of his hired Animation-Thugs in a thread on these forums about a month or so back that S2 is supporting DX 11, but DX 9 and 10, and 10.1 are also supported. Your card is a 10.1 card (like mine). Some revisions of DX capability are bigger than others. The difference between 9 and 10, for instance, was not so major a change that I saw vastly superior graphics (although metallics were greatly improved imho). DX 11 is a bit different because of the potential impact of tesselation and the new handlers for optimizing the use of multiple cores (multi-threading support is supposed to be improved and backwards handle-able by 9 and 10DX class hardware as well for DX11 drivers, at least that is what is said), and there is always shader 5.0 to consider (a DX 11 only level shader). I do not own any DX 11 titles, so I cannot do a direct evaluation at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_X

Let me see if I can find the original thread from this forum to link.

EDIT: AhHAH! Found the thread, although it isn't that informative other than knowing by those shaders that they are supporting 9, 10 and 10.1 as well as 11. Lordmaximus's other questions were deftly unanswered...
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...uestion+Shogun

SECOND EDIT: Sorry About30Ninjaz, was still writing when you posted... Useful information, although hard to say how that translates to S2 in three months. As you say, drivers may very well improve over that time, on the other hand, DX 11 isn't that new anymore, it simply hasn't been that widly used until recently -and the cards have been out for what, over a year anyway...
    Al
    Last edited by AlJabberwock; 01-06-2011 at 03:48 AM.

Yea I have a DX11 card AND game...

Administrator Master and Commander AlJabberwock's Avatar

Yeah Sorry about that! You posted while I was till writing, see my second edit above, lol!

So, you would try them but might want em off you say? What card are you using?

Yes, and no problem :P, i would say that DX11 at its core is preferable over DX10 (ovcourse if you can run it well, even though it isnt a big difference at all.) but with what ive played in games so far I actually think the game looks better without the "special" effects. BTW incase your wondering im using a GTX580.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast