Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CTD Problems in Combat

Junior Member Private

Default CTD Problems in Combat

I bought Empire Total War about a year ago, and the game ran with few crashes for the most part. Once I got my new Radion HD5750 graphics card the game crashed every battle. I found a workaround for Empire Total War that gave me 100% playability on Very High graphics settings with no crashes whatsoever here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238484. Apparently this had been a major problem with Empire and people with upper end graphics cards.

A week ago I bought Napoleon Total War, I have the game set to extra high graphics and it runs very smooth. During the Italian campaign I had several CTD problems, but not enough to really cause me to complain. Now that I am in Egypt, every battle seems to want to crash, typicaly whenever I click on a unit after I am allready a good ways into the battle.

Im using Vista 32 bit, I have 3 gigs of ram and a Radion HD5750 graphics card. It doesnt seem like as many people are having CTD problems with Napoleon from what I can find,...but if anybody has had this problem and knows a potential workaround to make the game playable I would be greatful.

Since the last patch, a lot of people have problems with NapoleonTW, me too. Do you have the latest graphic driver? If not, try to download it, perhaps it helps...

Junior Member Private

Ya I have the latest drivers for my HD5750 allready. I remember a few months back when I was installing the updates for my card, there was an advertisement for Napoleon Total War like the graphics card was ideal for the game. Aside from the CTD I get, everything looks and sounds amazing even with alot of heavy smoke effects im running smooth. I really do not understand why its crashing unless its a memory issue like the first game had? Im going to play with it today and maybe sacrifice some of my settings to see if it keeps me from crashing....we will see.

Junior Member Private

So last night I set my sound settings down to medium, and so far during battle I have had no crashes

I'm having all sorts of problems.

The game crashes while loading battles after a certain time and the tell tale signs are the white uniforms followed by brown/black camouflage soldiers.

Highly annoying now, maybe the sound thing will work.

What sound card do you have?

EDIT: Meh, didn't work.
    Last edited by Sir.Talbot; 07-28-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Junior Member Private

Ok, so now that I started the Grand European Campaign I have noticed some battles that crash every time. Others, wont crash at all. But I am still getting fewer crashes since I turned my sound quality down...I really wish there was a for sure fix on the problem because it really discourages me from actually fighting my battles out, auto resolve sucks.

I think as soon as I have won the game as France I will be going back to playing the old Empire Total war untill the bugs are worked out of Napoleon.

I also have problems with units sometimes at a distance showing up as black squares, and white uniform bug issuse that almost always cause a crash.
    Last edited by Aetius; 08-02-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Tech-Hero. Master and Commander Iscaran's Avatar

Check your inside case and mainboard /northbrdige temperatures. Could be that the northbridge is overheating when the quality is too high causing a crash.

Also updated sound drivers ?
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.

Junior Member Private

Im using a USB headset for my sound, and my motherboard temperature is fine...I cant seem to figure out exactly whats causing the crashes, no matter what settings I use it seems to periodicly crash during battles especialy big ones. I auto resolved most of my European campaign battles with France and managed to beat the game. I hate using auto resolve,...does anybody know when the next patch is comming out? Maybe they will have a fix for my problems possibly...

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Im using a USB headset for my sound, and my motherboard temperature is fine...I cant seem to figure out exactly whats causing the crashes, no matter what settings I use it seems to periodicly crash during battles especialy big ones. I auto resolved most of my European campaign battles with France and managed to beat the game. I hate using auto resolve,...does anybody know when the next patch is comming out? Maybe they will have a fix for my problems possibly...
    Hi,

What has solved my crash problems and indeed many other peoples problems is this method shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bHWYJ1zBdU

Watch the video, it's very easy and it has worked. I played for a good 6 hours (I did leave the game running went I went AFK for a few hours) and I didn't have a single crash.

I also no longer have issues with uniforms and the game runs like a dream.

+ Reply to Thread