Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: We have to see it to believe it

Default We have to see it to believe it

I'm beginning to see the TW forums lean towards mutiny, as I did on the SimCity boards before its release. I think there are important things that both the fans and TW need to do to refocus their perspective.

First, to TW: Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. You guys live and breath this game, and we know you love it just as much as we do. But that level of investment means that you simply 'get' some of the improvements, because you see them in action. When you talk about army caps, you don't just have someone telling you that it improves gameplay, you've experienced the improved gameplay - obviously, because why would you make a big change like this unless it improved the game? Jack and others have done their best to explain these improvements to us via RP and forums, but simply speaking about them won't change minds, and especially repeating yourself and seeming to become frustrated with our lack of understanding won't change minds. You guys have a time-table for release and marketing, so lets hope that we get to see these new mechanics in action at Rezzed or E3 really soon. Use those outlets to craft a visible response, not more written words - you'll see the difference in the forums response.

To fellow posters - We are forever bi-polar. We want innovation, growth and change, yet when the status quo is changed we lose our minds. I believe that TW can do a better job explaining the changes they are making, but we also need to put a little more trust in the company's game design and less in their marketing and PR. We've voiced our initial opinions on the army cap, they've heard us, lets just wait to see it in action and strop demanding more verbal explanation. After all, at least it's not an always on-line requirement like the disaster that was SimCity release.

Cheers all.

Senior Member Master and Commander Mackles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla - The Prestige
    The first time I changed the world, I was hailed as a visionary. The second time I was asked politely to retire. The world only tolerates one change at a time.
    Words of wisdom, bbiron, well received.
    "Conquer, Punish, Enslave" - Words for the would-be Imperialists to live by!

Somewhere on that hill, its gonna get bloody contradictory between us and them real fast. - Anon

Senior Member Corporal Sinquanto's Avatar

Agreed... until I actually see the design changes in action, I have a hard time saying that they suck... Sure, on the surface, I'm not thrilled with 1 year turns as, even with the new way of banner leveling instead of commander, or in addition too, I do love having my uber general. But until I can actually play and see how this works, along with their statement that you will be able to do a lot more per turn, as well as liking the sounds of the new way to muster armies, I'm not sure if the 1 year turns will be all that bad or if I'm tainting my thoughts with how others in the series have worked.

I mean FotS was great for not having a general die, but it also meant that your children were pointless because they'd never reach a usable age (well, not never, but not in a reasonable time frame). It will be nice to get back to building a lineage, even though it means the loss of my beloved generals...

Senior Member Master and Commander Tyer032392's Avatar

Honestly, I do agree with you; however, I also trust that CA's going to deliver on what they promise. I myself would love to see some in game footage. It's also noted that the game is only seventeen weeks from launch, and while CA's staff on working on the game is doubled be Sega, I am worried that we will have a bugged game like SimCity was. On another note, the reason why SimCity launched the way it did was because EA forced Maxis into releasing an unfinished game. Truth be told, I have actually seen this happen in the past with other game developers like UbiSoft with their title Silent Hunter 5 which was not even a quarter of the way done when it launched, and abandoned within months of release by Ubi. EA also has a track record of destroying game titles, so you should not be entirely surprised by this either. Sega on the other hand usually gives their development studios the time that they need as well.

On another note, most of the problems that I have noticed has been caused by the newer members of the forum for either posting some down right stupid things and getting chewed up by the older members by this forum. Another problem that I have also seen, especially with Rome 2 announcement is Spartan, Roman, Carthaginian, extc. fanboys that are not only irritating, but somewhat irrational as well in believing what Hollywood has portrayed in recent movies like 300 for example.
    Rome 2 Divide et Imperia guide for beginners.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...02#post1162802

My PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.5 Ghz overclocked
    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 Superclocked edition @ 4 Gigs of VRAM
    RAM: 16 Gigs of G-Skill Aries 1333
    PSU: Haswell Gold 750W
    SSHD: 2 Terabyte Seagate SSHD
    SSD: 128 Gigs Intel SSD

I totally agree. The gameplay of TW suffers of some problems, i'm glad that they are trying to fix them.

Senior Member Brigadier Lucius Verus's Avatar

The problem is too many Hollywood influence in the game. They sure add some fun but don't get too much with it.
    Sometime you just need to relax

My most wanted option in diplomacy "give region option" still hope it will finally make it in future patch.

Moderator Master and Commander daelin4's Avatar

I am not familiar with SimCity's online community nor the recent Maxis games, but if "mutiny" is a proper word to describe the attitudes found there, there is that huge hanging backdrop of an elephant in the room called Electronic Arts that influences the attitudes of users. And that elephant carries this burdensome reputation of being terrible moneygrubbers. If that is all true then it is clearly a foundation to how users there think and respond towards the product and its developers. People will love something that is proven to be great, and hate something that is known to be terrible, perceived or actual.
    Total War Terms and Conditions
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    Total War: ROME II Political Guide
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code][code] in your post.

Senior Member Corporal

I personally feel less excited after hearing the army changes and all that for the release of rome 2, which is actually a good thing as it means I won't go insane wait but my reasons are I hate to feel limited and this is a limitation, and I'm sure they balance it but still its something I don't approve of but I can't say if I dislike it or not until I play the game, and be it note I have preordered and I don't regret it

Moderator Master and Commander Hardwaremaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilena View Post
    I personally feel less excited after hearing the army changes and all that for the release of rome 2, which is actually a good thing as it means I won't go insane wait but my reasons are I hate to feel limited and this is a limitation, and I'm sure they balance it but still its something I don't approve of but I can't say if I dislike it or not until I play the game, and be it note I have preordered and I don't regret it
    Super easy to answer this one. There are limitations on everything in RL. You want realistic you got it.

@Tyer:

Its true that many games that are published by EA are **** due to them rushing everything to the point where people are already not sleeping very much. However I believe that the projection of EA on other publishers should be avoided. There are some other companies that are just as bad these days, but most are HUGE. CA is still fairly small compared to companies like say Crytek, epic, ND, Ubi, Dice, ect.

all cards on the table, CA has never really disappointed me personally. ETW was close, but that was actually due to a massive loss of programmers at the beginning of the bug killing phase. That's enough to destroy any game. As far as CA and Rome 2 goes you have to realize that they are changing the way that DLC is handled for us, to a way that feels a lot less backhanded than other game companies. FreeDLC is just one part of that. The development process of a game is not easy, and its even harder in the knowledge that you can't please everyone, all the time. Usually the harder you try, the more diluted your game becomes.

I am very happy with the direction CA is going in, even If I don't agree with some of the choices as much as I could. However I know that CA is 100's of times better at game design than all of us combined.

I also agree that a majority of the dumb things being said are by new members, but its not entirely the case of course. I myself have made a few dumb statements due to reactionary impulses. Of which I have apologized for.

There is very little cause for concern, as jack has already tried to explain why the decisions are made, and what they hope to accomplish with them. if you don't agree that's fine, but its not CA's fault you don't know a possibly good design when you see one. But in the end as stated by the OP. It is impossible to really understand untill we play it. It's less than a month away to rezzed. I think we should all reserve judgement till we hear from some players.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    MikeB said: "Little horses are not epic. They are little"

""True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches"

My PC: (2x 670GTX 4GB) (16GB DDR3 2133mhz) (I7 3770K OC 3.9Ghz) (256GB+128GB SSD+2TB drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles

Senior Member Corporal

I never said I wanted realistic I enjoy my lack of realism! but usually its balanced by economy and what you can support, not a programmed hard limit of you can't pass this, which is what I dislike, though I understand where they are coming from and I consider this an experiment, and we will see if it works. I think what is bugging people is that there is so much "change" as far as they see it with entirely how the game is played and that has people worried. I trust ca in that they desire to make a good game, like shogun, when it came out I hated it, but now a couple of years after the release I'm enjoying playing it , expecially coop which is really the only feature I hope works flawlessly on release (well more of without the game ending desync issues that have finally been fixed at least for me) and if the bugs arnt game breaking I'm perfectly fine with it. That's my major concern

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast