Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Faction colors

Senior Member Lieutenant Ca12nag3's Avatar

Default Faction colors

I wonder what people think of the given faction colors, if people like them or not. Also some changes made during development and in comparison with previous games. As well as compared to R1

-Egypt went from full yellow/black to Yellow/blue then to blue/yellow. The ankh disapeared and replaced with a *eagle* im not good with birds sorry. During the initial reveal the yellow was the background but now the colors switched on the campaign map planner.

-Pontus was light blue with some black and red on its emblem, In the factions list its light purple with a yellow star. Now on the campaign map planner its Yellow with a black star.

-Biggest surprise is the Averni which kept exactly the same *the boar only turned around to the other side* as the Gaulic faction.

-Carthage are really the nicest i believe, its my favorite ancient civ i wont deny it. But the detail. Tanith on top of the baal like found in many artifacts is a nice touch. Even the slight colors of red and green on the white its really 1 of the most beautiful ones there.

-Rome the colors remain those of the red and gold, now sporting the Imperial eagle as its suposed to. I like it.

-Parthia black crown on purple in R1 went to yellow winged lion on pink, now its light blue on purple. Im not too sure on this one, its my least favorite but in sure there is reason behind this.

-Germans went from white on brown, axe symbol to a face horse bird symbol, odd one white on brown at first but now yellow on brown. Interesting not my favorite either.

-Iceni colors as brits stayed the same throughout. white-grey on light blue, emblem did change from a deer to a chariot. Not much to say about this one.

-Macedon thankfully got its own symbol the star sun, and sparta got its own symbol back. Color wise orange on black turned to a dark yellow on black.

The greeks are now a group of civs and a little hard to compare since they dont have 1 same symbol or color with the city states of the previous R1 Sparta now has its symbol back from Macadon thankfully.

-Scythia does show on the map planner, but is non playable at the moment. Yellow with a brown deer it has now, used to be 2 archers back to back in a light yellow on a orange background.

Some changes were made during development of R2 particular Parthia,Pontus and Egypt. Im wondering why but its not the most important thing. I do like the colors yet havnt seen the new ones for Parthia and Pontus in game yet. Because the wiki images only sport the old ones yet we have new ones now.

Senior Member Lieutenant Final Phalanx's Avatar

I think the main reason for changing Egypt's color was that when they added Athens it meant they had 3 factions with the main color white. X_X That would be a little to much.
    "What a wrestling ground we are leaving, my friends, for the Carthaginians and the Romans."
    -King Pyrrhus of Epirus while leaving Sicily

Moderator Master and Commander daelin4's Avatar

Few historical peoples were stereotypically associated with colours. Sparta and Rome are commonly associated with red, and the Britons with blue. But that's really about it. Even fewer ancient people rarely associated colours with certain things like empires.

As for changing the colours, that's only a matter of taste. The only reason why we associated certain colours with certain factions, was because CA decided to assign certain colours to them at will. There was hardly any real historical basis for the choices they made.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca12nag3 View Post
    -Egypt went from full yellow/black to Yellow/blue then to blue/yellow. The ankh disapeared and replaced with a *eagle* im not good with birds sorry. During the initial reveal the yellow was the background but now the colors switched on the campaign map planner.
    I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a falcon, representing the god Horus. The yellow and ankh was a bit to stereotypical though.
    Total War Terms and Conditions
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    Total War: ROME II Political Guide
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code][code] in your post.

Senior Member Captain DocHoliday's Avatar

Actually the bright colours in Rome Total War were to much, though I think in Rome II the colours and what not are more grittier and more serious looking which I am looking forward to.
    We as Humans have the right to freely think. No one person should tell you how to think. If we give up on this right what are we then? We are nothing, simply machines being told what to do and how to think. Thus remember to be open minded to every situation no matter what, and remember think.

Emerald

System Specs

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
    CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 OC Edition 2GB
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz
    MoBo: ASRock 970 Extreme4

Senior Member Master and Commander Setrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocHoliday View Post
    Actually the bright colours in Rome Total War were to much, though I think in Rome II the colours and what not are more grittier and more serious looking which I am looking forward to.
    Agreed, Rome 1 was great, don't get me wrong, but it could get a bit cartoony due to the bright colours.

Senior Member Captain DocHoliday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Setrus View Post
    Agreed, Rome 1 was great, don't get me wrong, but it could get a bit cartoony due to the bright colours.
    Exactly.
    We as Humans have the right to freely think. No one person should tell you how to think. If we give up on this right what are we then? We are nothing, simply machines being told what to do and how to think. Thus remember to be open minded to every situation no matter what, and remember think.

Emerald

System Specs

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
    CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 OC Edition 2GB
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz
    MoBo: ASRock 970 Extreme4

Senior Member Colonel KingOfBabylon's Avatar

the winged lion is the babylonian lion found on the ishtar gates
    An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep. - Babylonian Proverb

Senior Member Sergeant BIGFOOT. I BELIEVE.'s Avatar

I like all the colors but I think they need to darken the yellow for pontus...a bit too bright in my opinion.
    You can always judge a man by what he will do if he knows that he will never be found out.
    -Unknown

Carthage will not fall!!! Rome will!!!

DEMOCRACY, COMMERCE, FAITH
    KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM, PROSPERITY
    GROWTH, LEGACY, COMMAND

Senior Member General Maximus Thrax's Avatar

We still miss a grey color
    Don't go Ad Hominem

Senior Member Lieutenant Ca12nag3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    Few historical peoples were stereotypically associated with colours. Sparta and Rome are commonly associated with red, and the Britons with blue. But that's really about it. Even fewer ancient people rarely associated colours with certain things like empires.

As for changing the colours, that's only a matter of taste. The only reason why we associated certain colours with certain factions, was because CA decided to assign certain colours to them at will. There was hardly any real historical basis for the choices they made.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a falcon, representing the god Horus. The yellow and ankh was a bit to stereotypical though.
    your right its a falcon, i like it. Also the colors that go with certain factions are not odd choices. I think they do a good job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast