Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many unit slots will be in Shogun 2?

Junior Member Private goodthings19's Avatar

Default How many unit slots will be in Shogun 2?

Recent Total War games (Empire, Napoleon) allowed you to have up to 20 unit slots in an army. Which raises the question, will there be the same amount of slots in Shogun 2?

I couldn't help but notice that in the battle report video (Chosokabe Vs. Takeda) each side had only 16 unit slots. Although in the video it appears that there is enough room left for 4 more units which would put the total count at 20. Which leaves me to assume that you will be able to fill 20 unit slots in a full stacked army. Do you guys agree/disagree? I would love to hear your opinions.

Senior Member Master and Commander Naisho's Avatar

All the pictures have suggested 20 unit slots per army.

Senior Member Field-Marshall Xoo's Avatar

20 units + general for moment...for a army.

I never understood why they needed the slot limit in the first place.Somebody has an idea?

Member Lance Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Emishi View Post
    I never understood why they needed the slot limit in the first place.Somebody has an idea?
    because if u have more the game engine couldn't handle it and it gets unwieldy

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyasu View Post
    because if u have more the game engine couldn't handle it and it gets unwieldy

That can't be the only reason since the engine can handle 2vs2 battles with full stacks.

Senior Member Captain BrahimBug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emishi View Post
    That can't be the only reason since the engine can handle 2vs2 battles with full stacks.
    game play is probably the main reason. As epic as large numbers are, i think having over 20 units in your control would be too much to handle and unnecessary. Also the size in relation to the size of the battlefields, a standard 20 units army size would allow for a standard battlefield size (notice how battlefield sizes get bigger in 2v2 and 3v3 and so on?), this is so you can use the battlefield tactically, giving heaps of room for flanking and ambushing etc, instead of having a long line that runs all the way through it. also for some consistency with online play.
    Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died.

+ Reply to Thread