Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empire vs Napoleon

Thumbs up Empire vs Napoleon

I`d like to ask You which game do You like more- ETW or NTW (only for those who plays both these games).

I think I am not need You to tell what`s better in ETW (graphics, "more world", more aviable and not factions, more time (18th century), and so on) and what is better in NTW (all the year, realism of graphics, AI, developed multiplayer, diplomacy, non-combat losses and so on). What conserns sounds in strategy map I love both of them, what conserns NTW I love music which is not from my favourite style- classical but... ETW sounds are more pleasant for me... simple and good. As I compare only 2 games I`ve decided to don`t post it into General chat. And even including NTW`s innovations ETW is more pleasant for me, I love it more (but I didn`t say that`s I don`t love NTW - I like it very much too!) I posted it ETW forum. So, I love more ETW.

Now what`s about You???
    "The result of the war is less predictable than anywhere else" - Livy
    "I'm more afraid of my mistakes than the wiles of the enemy" - Pericles
    "Who forged the first blade? Rugged steel was his soul "- Tribull
    Brave may fall, but not retreat

Administrator and Co-Lead Moderator Master and Commander Dionysius the Mighty's Avatar

I found NTW to be technically better, but ETW held my attention longer, simply through the campaign variety, and there being less of a sense of urgency to conquer everything as quickly as you can.

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions

Senior Member Corporal Mountain Man's Avatar

I agree that ETW is the more interesting game. And I don't mean NTW isn't interesting. What I like most about ETW is that control of the seas is up for grabs. What I like most about NTW is the ability to deploy your forces for battle second if you have a general with more stars. I like ETW's music better because I own a guitar but don't own a piano. But I still like NTW's music a lot.
    "To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself."
    Sun Tzu
    Steam: Mountain Man

Member Lance Corporal bills6693's Avatar

I too prefer ETW. The sheer scale and awesomeness of the campaign with so much more to do. I can fight Indians, native americans, europeans or colonists from europe overseas. Could go to war in the med, in russia, in the carribean, wherever I want.

Also the much larger and more interesting and meaningful tech tree. And having your units simply replenish in 2 turns rather than wait for 8 turns and move them to a region with better replenishment facilities.

To me, the campaign is the heart of the TW series, and ETW's is just better in my opinion.

In NTW's favour, my favourite part was the historical battles, which actually had some really good ones!

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

ETW. Nappy's battles just aren't all that interesting to me, the lack of fire by rank makes spreading your units out to max length pretty much the universally best tactic (you get higher weight of fire + more front width, making it far easier to encircle the enemy). The AI doesn't understand this and as long as you do it you will almost always destroy them even with an inferior force, not to mention it makes the battles look silly. Then you have the campaign being much smaller in scope and quite directed so there's less opportunity for your own stories to emerge. I think Empire was the better game with regards to things like gameplay, but it had really crippling bugs, issues with the AI that were exceptional even for a TW game (because it wasn't all about charging into the enemy, although the AI had a period where it thought it was, so it requires more thinking with regards to positioning and such). Although they fixed up a lot of the crashes, there are still numerous issues with the game. Nappy was definitely better on that front. But all in all I preferred empire.

Senior Member Sergeant King_Tomislav's Avatar

I spent 735 hours playing Empire TW, while 161 playing Napoleon. Empire is the best TW game built so far (im not counting Rome 2, cause the game is broken and unfinished). What i would love (it wont happen, but it is nice to dream), it would be great to have Empire TW game with Shogun 2 AI, diplomacy and graphic's. That would be the best game ever

I agree with King_Tomislav, I played more ETW than NTW. But yes NTW is technically better. But ETW has a better gameplay. So I hope also that there will come an new Empire Total war with better things!
    Last edited by Erikk; 09-14-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Yeah... ETW could be better with drop-in, multiplayer campaign, NTW diplomacy abilities, non-combat loses and sabotaging army. What I dislike the most in first TW games is weak AI.
    Last edited by vitalio; 09-14-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    "The result of the war is less predictable than anywhere else" - Livy
    "I'm more afraid of my mistakes than the wiles of the enemy" - Pericles
    "Who forged the first blade? Rugged steel was his soul "- Tribull
    Brave may fall, but not retreat

I would say Empire because i enjoyed the campaign alot more. You have more control over your empire.
    The time for war has not yet come, but it will come, and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard. - General Stonewall Jackson

Member Lance Corporal

Isnt there a mod to play the Empire Total War map on the Napoleon Engine?

That would be great. Napoleon gameplay seems better, but I like the scope of Empire, and also the fact that the nations doesnt start as powerfull.

+ Reply to Thread