Total War Forums

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: No darthmod for rome 2.

Senior Member Major-General Green Jacket's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alucardex View Post
    "I always liked strategy games that offered challenge, deep gameplay and the ability to control thousands of troops and not a handful of units. DarthMod became one of the most popular mods for Total War games because of these basic ideas I tried to implement into the gameplay philosophy."

Lol on his site he makes it look like HE made Total War into the game it is Oo Pretty full of himself in my eyes.
    He actually started many feature in the series like the 40 units armies etc long before CA did the same.

While the majority of mods where indeed not made by him, he basically streamlined them and merged them into on "super" mod that added a large variety of features that total war fans had been asking such as editable turn duration, tech research rate, armies of over 20 units, more balanced factions, realistic effects, option to turn off tracers, making similar units such as "line" infantry of empire actually different units, more playable factions, turning forts on/off.

Most of which CA denied where possible in the specific games they where modded into and to this day some of which they still claim are impossible on the engine (aka turn real time duration options or tracer toggle etc). Empire total war became playable thanks to his mods long before CA released patches and to this day still fixes issues CA where unable to do themselves.

Most notably the AI. While its far from perfect if you compare the AI in darthmod to vanilla empire/napoleon/shogun2 you notice it actually takes the initiative in a lot better manner and actually attacks weak spots in your line.
    Last edited by Green Jacket; 08-21-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe"

Junior Member Private

Radious FTW

Senior Member Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by War_Hero View Post
    I do not care for mods! They only spoil the actually game I bought to play, I buy these games for what It says on the box. Not for downloadable mods otherwise I would be waiting my money.
    ******ed logic is ******ed.

Member Lance Corporal dmmitchel's Avatar

Darth really isn't anything special. His mods were a series of common sense stat changes, and a compilation of things other people made. There are a thousand others that can and will do what he did.

Senior Member Corporal

Darthmod and other mod make fail game like empire TW very playable,specially darthmod he is saving empire experience for me . Yep There is a lot of mod inside Darthmod but he put the contributor in the Credit so no plagiarism here, and I think no one accuse darthmod from stealing other people work . So he is a better modder as he have a lot of helps,people even "gift" the game to him. This make the foundation is strong.

Member Lance Corporal

The way I understood it, Darth felt disrespected because he wasn't among the four people invited to a modding summit last year. Silly, but hey.

Senior Member Field-Marshall dragonlight's Avatar

Good for him really . Its always good to see new people trying to create unique games. But you cannot advertise his game here. Its against the rules.

Also I read he has an ego and fought with CA lollll. Not so smart to fight we people while thinking going pro.
    "Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear."

"Festina lente" (Make haste slowly)

My mini beast PC :

AMD FX 6120 6 core 3.5 Ghz
    10gb Ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC

Senior Member Sergeant Vampiresbane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by svehlic25 View Post
    ...His mods consisted of nothing more than stat changes and unit skins, nothing of which is essential to the games. In fact, besides my obvious bias against him, I found his mods quite easy and pointless.
    Nothing against The people that like his stuff, but honestly he got what he deserved. People with his obnoxious god complex attitude should not be given praise for work that isn't even completely his. He had plenty of help and a team of people working on his stuff...
    I'm going to guess that you aren't a frequent user of his mods.

His ETW mod for example increased the range of all guns, but gave them different accuracy hit rates for different ranges to target, increased the BAI both on a regular battlefield and in siege forts (and oh dear lord the fort fights are actually fun b/c of his mod's changes), and altered how naval engagements worked much in the same way rifles did in land fights.

It really is a different and better game imo with Darthmod ETW.

And what's with all this with him thinking he's all that? I never thought he was being smug or self righteous. He was a good modder and/or organization of mods and was ****ed that CA wasn't interested in hiring him even though they've hired other modders. If you were in his place, wouldn't you be mad as well? I know I would be.

But this is really neither here nor there. 99.99% of the people typing in this thead weren't there when Darth met with CA, are not Darthmod, and are not the HR section of CA so really all of what we write is at best heresay. We have no direct sources of information.

Senior Member Field-Marshall dragonlight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiresbane View Post
    I'm going to guess that you aren't a frequent user of his mods.

His ETW mod for example increased the range of all guns, but gave them different accuracy hit rates for different ranges to target, increased the BAI both on a regular battlefield and in siege forts (and oh dear lord the fort fights are actually fun b/c of his mod's changes), and altered how naval engagements worked much in the same way rifles did in land fights.

It really is a different and better game imo with Darthmod ETW.

And what's with all this with him thinking he's all that? I never thought he was being smug or self righteous. He was a good modder and/or organization of mods and was ****ed that CA wasn't interested in hiring him even though they've hired other modders. If you were in his place, wouldn't you be mad as well? I know I would be.

But this is really neither here nor there. 99.99% of the people typing in this thead weren't there when Darth met with CA, are not Darthmod, and are not the HR section of CA so really all of what we write is at best heresay. We have no direct sources of information.
    Ok lets not fight over a person we don't really know.

CA didn't made him a hero so he got upset and left the modding of TW games
    Now he making a game of himself.
    Lets just leave him alone and see what he can do. I myself don't believe this dude is a going anywhere.
    "Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear."

"Festina lente" (Make haste slowly)

My mini beast PC :

AMD FX 6120 6 core 3.5 Ghz
    10gb Ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC

Member Lance Corporal ghostinthemaxim's Avatar

I actually agree that Darth was a vangaurd in quite some game mechanisms (the above mentioned 40 unit armies > implemented in Fall of the Samurai, useful garrison sizes for Shogun 2 > implemented in Rise of the Samurai etc...).

His mods abolished clone armies in Empire and Napoleon, made diplomacy more realistic and artillery useful (see above plus trajectory angle plus infantry unit rank space), and gave a whole lot of optionality - something I am still waiting for in vanilla TW games.

Yes, his mods were more like compilations of other modders, and yes, he had his... well... own ways in representing himself in public. Still: every mod is - naturally - for free; so no need for complaining here. Just play your vanilla version and be happy with it for God's sake....

And BTW: Empire Darthmod was listed by CA among the best 10 mods ever for Total War games...

So thanks for giving me so many additional hours of especially Empire, a great game published way too early.

R.I.P. Darth...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast