Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next game available for GNU/Linux?

Senior Member Corporal Teodosio's Avatar

Question Next game available for GNU/Linux?

Hello CA,
    will the next Total War game be available for GNU/Linux?
    Many companies are jumping on the boat these days, and besides the major effort put by Valve/Steam (they obviously want to leave Windows) we are getting other great games on GNU/Linux too, e.g. Europa Universalis 4 and the upcoming Tropico 5.
    What about Total War?
    SteamOS, here I come! Goodbye Windows!

Senior Member Major-General Endovellicus's Avatar

I don't know if the performance of the game will be the same as on Windows systems. But I would like to see it.

Senior Member Sergeant drachenmaul's Avatar

I don't think it is done by Valve/Steam, but rather by the individual developers to adress a bigger audience.
    Personally I don't care if it gets released on other platforms as long as the game quality doesn't suffer.

Senior Member Field-Marshall dragonlight's Avatar

probably not.
    "Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear."

"Festina lente" (Make haste slowly)

My mini beast PC :

AMD FX 6120 6 core 3.5 Ghz
    10gb Ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC

Quote Originally Posted by drachenmaul View Post
    I don't think it is done by Valve/Steam, but rather by the individual developers to adress a bigger audience.
    Personally I don't care if it gets released on other platforms as long as the game quality doesn't suffer.
    Valve (the company behind Steam) is pushing very hard to GNU/Linux. They have already converted all their main games (Half-life 2, Team Fortress 2. Dota 2, Left for Dead 2) and they are clearly trying to bring other developers with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Endovellicus View Post
    I don't know if the performance of the game will be the same as on Windows systems. But I would like to see it.
    Valve has been working a lot with Nvidia, AMD and Ubuntu. Performance for Valve games is better on GNU/Linux than on Windows!

Many other companies are jumping on the boat. Paradox Interactive has released EU4 and has committed to release all future games on GNU/Linux. I already own several great games running on Ubuntu, such as "Wargame: European Escalation", "Unity of Command", "FTL", "Trine 2", "The Book of Unwritten Tales".
    The upcoming games "Prison Architect" and "Planetary Annihilation" are already available on GNU/Linux as betas.

When is CA joining the rest? An official word would be good

Member Lance Corporal

Not likely. The best is to get WINE to work well enough.

Banned Sergeant-Major

Just give it up wanna be "hackers", if you want to play games or use popular software get a windows partition, you end up using a windows virtual machine half of the time anyway hahahaha.

I would like that. Games are one of the few things keeping me on Windows. I want the NSA to fiddle some time if they want sth and not to own the whole keychain.

Starbound is coming out this year and it will be released on GNU/Linux too... come on CA, give us a sign

Today's news: "Metro Last Light" will be released on GNU/Linux later this year. Times are changing pretty fast... what is CA going to do for the next game?

+ Reply to Thread