Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Active Formations

Default Active Formations

I mentioned this in my "Mixing it up" (http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ideas-some-old) thread and a couple others, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

The tactics of the Sengoku Era could be anywhere from extremely complex to extremely simple. One thing that I think would fit would be pre-determined, active formations. Aggressive formations, for example, which would start moving in a predetermined way with a click... And then, the ability to change formations with some sort of menu or hotkeys. Takeda 3 has this implemented in a somewhat poor, awkward way, but it's fun nonetheless. It wasn't the Takeda series, but the original Shogun that started the ball rolling on Japanese formations... but fell short. Same goes for Takeda. Nice try, but it fell short. I think the CA we have today, with its manpower and funding, could pull this off very well.

Aside from that, it would also make it easier for you to work with the AI. A predetermined set of active formations that it can switch back and forth to and from that actually make sense, that work the same for the player as well. Certain formations were used in certain situations, and it just makes a lot of sense to me.

[EDIT] btw it's obvious that the player should still be able to micromanage as they wish the way they do currently. I just think formations deserve an overhaul.
    Last edited by brds2226; 07-30-2010 at 12:07 AM.

I agree.
    This would allow the general focus where it could be more appropriate. how to preserve certain special unit or squad with flank the enemy, get this straight, it would be nice

Yeah, I agree.
    In the original Shogun I liked setting up the predetermined formations but I never really actually used them, they weren't that useful. But I think if there was a similar system, but of course overhauled and made more dynamic it could work very well as an alternative to micromanaging every since unit (especially in very large battles where you can't concentrate on every part of the field at once - like a real general - you have trust your officers and men to carry out commands and tactics).

And I could see this being a Battle AI aid, making it easier for the AI armies to at least be a coherent force rather than piece-meal blobs (I could see an issue of the AI trying to switch formations too much though, but I feel like that could be a simple fix in coding of when and how to use each formation: like only able to switch formations when the units are a certain distance from the enemy).

Senior Member Field-Marshall andferpa's Avatar

it would make the ai`s job simpler, just knowing what formation to activate when facing you.

very good idea

Along the same thought.
    maybe we could choose a unit, through its board, and define the behavior, much like in DAO, their actions would be guided by this definition prior and would be borne by the BAI, manually if necessary would assume control. something like, "being attacked by cavalry ---> reaction," "being attacked by archers --->reaction" ....it might generate a lot of code .... possible?

+ Reply to Thread