Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pikemen OP?

Member Lance Corporal

Default Pikemen OP?

So I did some 1 on 1 test in custom battles. Pikemen is the **** in this game in the phalanx formation. Beat sword, calvary, elephants, other shorter spear units. Weak against skirmish missles, and not so good in sieges when climbing up to fight at walls. And not so good in auto resolve. But in open battle, unbeatable. Royal spartan lost to Spartan pikemen 1 on 1. Best of all they're cheaper...at half price.
    My royal spartan couldn't beat very heavy melee sword units 1 on 1, but pikemen crush everything, they switch to sword in close combat (unlike regular spearmen), and the men behind them stab enemies with pike. They can turn direction quick too.

Other shorter spearmen seems to break phalanx formation when you order them to attack. When close to enemies, they just charge and lost formation.

Despite, being strong somehow enemies can break through their phalanx rank easily though. Just double clicking behind them will break their ranks render their formation useless.
    Last edited by Lucky8; 09-06-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Member Lance Corporal Drop Shock's Avatar

Really? Because the AI just ran through my Pike units when I deployed them. Literally passed through and inbetween the men.

Senior Member Corporal Col. Grizzly's Avatar

Phalanx are extremely susceptible to flanking manoeuvres and are not very mobile in phalanx. Lighter more mobile units can be used to great effect against a phalanx. Pin and flank is usually a good method.

Senior Member Master and Commander

Pike men are really easy. You distract them then charge them from the side. The break formation and your infantry thy were engaged with can then move closer and deal some damage.

Senior Member Sergeant MasterPoncho's Avatar

It all comes down to their mobility, or lack there of when in phalanx formation. Flank them and you are golden.

Indeed. But make sure to have some mobile infantry units at the flanks.
    If you are Macedon forexample you can have pikemens in the center and Royal Peltasts at the flank. Quit hard to beat.

Senior Member Corporal

Overpowered yes from the front sometimes and rightly so. there meant to be like they were in real life they used tactics to by pass that strength.

It seems to be those stupid capture points mostly to blame for the rush through, they see them and woosh! your phalanx doesn't exist any more. They don't have an interest in fighting you, they just want to rush to the capture points above all else.

Or the enemy has some real ******g skinny units that can squeeze through your phalanx.

Member Lance Corporal

Light units are **** against phalanx. They die instantly upon contact with the pikes.

Heavier units generally take very few losses and the gets into melee. With the steady buff you'll pretty much destroy these too tho.

A phalanx that you've told to attack will break formation and eventually walk past the enemy. Unable to turn around and attack again. Changing orders will cause them to rout

Quote Originally Posted by Sieptium View Post
    Light units are **** against phalanx. They die instantly upon contact with the pikes.
    Agreed, seems they're quite overpowered; they can destroy several units this way without any looses. In TWRome (1st) at least it took more time to do this but now its instantly as you say, Idon't have time for flanking them
    Note: English is not my native language, my apologies in advance. Feel free to politely correct me.

My PC (Palantir Comm.): i5-3570 / 3.40 GHh + 8Gb 1600 RAM + GTX670 2Gb + W7Prox64 + Fun

Senior Member Master and Commander Setrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corocota View Post
    Agreed, seems they're quite overpowered; they can destroy several units this way without any looses. In TWRome (1st) at least it took more time to do this but now its instantly as you say, Idon't have time for flanking them
    Personally, I'd prefer if pikemen were largely just keeping the enemy unit back, causing the odd loss to them, but mostly just keeping them fixed and unable to attack back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast