Total War Forums

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Shogun 2 Demo details!

SenseiTW

Smile Total War: Shogun 2 Demo details!

Hi Everyone,

As all of you on this forum know there is a demo of Total War: Shogun 2 being released today. It’s quite unlike any demo we have released previously. This demo will be giving a snippet of campaign gameplay. It's a big piece, but a snippet none-the-less. Its great fun and the testers have certainly been enjoying it.

Rather than using, as we usually do, just one historical battle and a single tutorial battle, we're basing this demo on the campaign and battle tutorials. The campaign tutorial handholds the player through the first few turns of a campaign game, serves up three tutorial battles of increasing complexity, and then lets go of the player's hand, leaving them free to explore a mini-campaign.

To cut the size of the download down to something even remotely acceptable for a demo, we have had to make all battles, apart from the three tutorial battles and one big historical battle, auto-resolved battles. We did this because the data files involved in creating the battlefields are very large. The demo version of the game for example is approximately 5GB while the full version of the game is approximately 15GB.

For this reason players won't really get the full on Total War experience, but we hope it gives a much better impression of what the game is about than a single stand-alone battle does. For those of you looking to test drive the battles a little, we’ve included the historical battle of Sekigahara, so you can get a feel for the type of warfare Shogun 2 offers. The full game obviously offers a huge amount more.

That’s ultimately the point. This is just a taster of the final game; in every aspect what you’re seeing is the smallest example, so we’d urge you to keep that in mind as you play.

As many of you know for those of you that wanted to get a fuller, hands on, experience of the game we’ve been running community events worldwide.

There is an event going on in the US today that members of all the forum communities were invited to: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...-Get-Involved! . And this one for an upcoming UK event at CA: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ty-event-at-CA. We are also looking at other events for other countries.

So as you can see we are doing our very best to explore as many means as possible to give people an idea of the depth and quality of Total War: Shogun 2, the demo is just a tiny piece, experience it as that.

Thank you for your time and enjoy the demo!

The Total War Development Team

5GB, thats pretty big, looking forward to it

Senior Member Master and Commander Half Life Expert's Avatar

sweet!

this will be a fun evening. I have to leave for school in one hour, i hope i can at least download it before then!

so what time is it out?
    Last edited by Half Life Expert; 02-22-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"Don't break the rules and you won't get banned, simple as that" -CraigTW on the HATG Thread

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

"A Strange Game. The only winning move is not to play"- W.O.P.R from Wargames (1983)

The WWI Thread: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...emed-total-war

Member Lance Corporal Totalwarlover's Avatar
    Belgium, Gent on vacations Netherlands, Dalfsen

my biggest record of playing a demo was the civ 5 it was 10 hours i think i'm going to break the record

"I know only one thing, that I know nothing" Socrates

Member Private

Were to find the demo?

Senior Member Captain Carnagejc's Avatar

5GB -tear- I won't be able to play till tomorrow morning.

holy ****, thats quiet a lot

Member Lance Corporal

Great news, sounds great loving the effort you appear to have put into the making of this demo, and by the looks of it, it is barely even a demo anymore lol.
    A great player will always pursue perfection knowing he/she will never obtain it.

Just Auto-resolve? I may sound spoiled but I want to try the battles with out the computer limiting what I do.

Junior Member Private

Can't wait this is going to be the first Total War game i have ever played

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast