Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Macedon's Foot Companions balance?

auxiliary syrian archers melt foot companions

Senior Member Sergeant-Major MrPiggi's Avatar

People aren't understanding OPs point.

Foot companions are amazing. And they need to be amazing, because they are the elite units of Macedon. However, you are right OP. They need to be nerfed when they are not using their pikes.

Senior Member Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoPD...utu.be&t=1m30s

Not directly but.. I have seen this..
    That video is silly to use as its got weak Macedon pikemen on the other side, who stats are poor all-round apart from the armour stat.
    BTW want to pwn Foot Companions use Egypt Royal pikemen units they beat them as good as the foot beat most other units.

Junior Member Private

The problem with pikemen in general is that after they have been engaged they are ******g uncontrolable. Try change pikedirection and they face 180 degrees the wrong way. gg. Easy to beat. Dont attack the middle of the line but have alot of inf just holding em there. DO NOT engage. then just outflank. When he tries to reinforce then u can attack. GG. No way he can change pikedirection.

Senior Member Sergeant

People using the "BUT THEY ARE THE ELITE TROOPS!" argument are ridiculous. Yes, an elite troop should beat a normal troop, but the reason why an elite troop can beat normal troop is not that they can mindlessly charge into EXTREME DANGER (like charging a phalanx) and obliterating the enemy in 12 seconds.

Member Lance Corporal

lol keep crying foot companions are as they should be,if u nerf them nerf roman heavy cav and every other elite unit in the game

Member Lance Corporal

Did you know 2 other races have the exact same unit? Epirus and Egypt have it. Let alone talk about the pikemen of Sparta and Pontus who are more cost efficient.
    The lack of game knowledge of some people posting on this forums is disturbing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    Macedon is easy to beat. I'll be making a post about balance tomorrow, but suffice to say you just need to learn the game a little better.
    Kronos is right. The OP either needs to train a bit and get more experience with the game, or stop making such posts.

Also, to the OP, why do you create such a thread just because he gave you a hard time? You still won, didn't you? So a balanced army won anyway. All that guy could do was charge in a blob and wait out what happens. Of course he lost, he gave away all initiative, such armies have no flexibility at all. And a ****** defense towards morale debuffing units.

Main line locked, 2-3 Cav around, wedge formation, warcry/whatever, whistling arrows/slingers/javs, all at a single unit at the side of the line, then charge in cav in intervalls of 5 seconds.

First rout. Second rout. Chain rout. Victory.

Oh, and the video is just a portrayal of a total newbie getting hit by an elitezerging newbie. The fact he uses his phalanxes and skirmishers both wrongly AND lacks proper cav and morale debuffers he could afford shows that he has no idea and rightfully lost so quickly. What hindered him running around the enemy shooting them in the back? He instead shot over his own lines and half of the stuff shot into his own lines into their own backs! The argument alltogether is really silly, its extreme would be running militia hoplites against foot companions and then counting until the milita hoplites break - all while you fire into your own troops. Really - WTBH. Then go to forums, scream "FC OP!" ... L2P man. The videomaker and the OP

And anyone who thinks they were right needs to look at the video, and should not post here embarassing themselves.
    Last edited by JoCool; 09-07-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoCool View Post
    Kronos is right. The OP either needs to train a bit and get more experience with the game, or stop making such posts.

Of course he lost, he gave away all initiative, such armies have no flexibility at all. And a ****** defense towards morale debuffing units.

Agree. Were myself up against a spartan army last knight with my roman horde. I know its not macedonian footmen but its very good defensive-troops which will slaughter you if you frontal-charge them. That spartan horde consisted of lots of royalties, heroes and spartan hoplite-troops and I came with a fairly balanced army (2 praetorian cav though, only 2 praetorian guard and 2 arm legiona and 4 triarii). All the greeks have a defensive troops with lousy archers, so like you said - use that inflexibility they have (stated to everyone)

I decided to bring 5 slingers and to 2 light scorpions to the fight, more ranged than i normally take, and what happend? His army just melted away under those cheap slingers, and everytime he tried to attack i some organized order I just backed away and continued to fire when he stopped. Then of course there is that inevitable clash with the melees but its a helluva lot easier after a long succesful skirmish.

Ended in a decisivly win for me
    Last edited by Deci; 09-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deci View Post
    Agree. Were myself up against a spartan army last knight with my roman horde. I know its not macedonian footmen but its **** good defensive-troops which will slaughter you if you frontal-charge them. That spartan horde consisted of lots of royalties, heroes and hoplite-troops and I came with a fairly balanced army. All the greeks have a defensive troops with ****ty archers, so like you said - use that inflexibility they have (stated to everyone)

I decided to bring 5 slingers and to 2 light scorpions to the fight, more ranged than i normally take, and what happend? His army just melted away under those cheap slingers, and everytime he tried to attack i some organized order I just backed away and continued to fire when he stopped. Then of course there is that inevitable clash with the melees but its a helluva lot easier after a long succesful skirmish.
    See this guy. He knows what he's doing and also gives you smart advice. Like Daci says, skirmish happens before the battle. Not by shooting your own soldiers in the back once the lines are engaged. Cheap, fast spearmen with rapid advance and your own cav can even ensure your skirmishers safety for the few cav units your elitezerg opponent can afford - if he can even afford any. And if their heavies do not die right away, remember that they lose loads of hitpoints before the first fall.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast