Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Rome 2 - Overpowered Multiplayer Builds

Senior Member Sergeant

Default Total War: Rome 2 - Overpowered Multiplayer Builds

What do you think about the builds showcased in the video? Do you think they're overpowered, or are you fine with them? Personally, I believe something needs to be changed. From what I've heard about the next patch, things might be better though, but I doubt that would be the only change necessary.

Heavy infantry seems to be required in this game, and they are just so hard to deal with when using cavalry. It seems like just bringing a spam of them would guarantee at least 80-90% win ratio (until more people start using them), since they're so easy to use and so hard to counter.
    Last edited by ThePrussianPrince; 09-09-2013 at 11:49 AM.

I think that the best way to deal with these kind of builds would be to increase dramatically cost of every unit above 4 (of the same unit of course). And on top of that buff other factions.

Senior Member Captain

Should do something about all elite units. If system gives only soft caps on same unit types, then a faction which have various elite melee inf will prevail anyway.

Well, I agree, but what I am proposing is just a quick fix for spartan pike walls. Balancing the whole system is necessary but can take a lot of time.

Member Lance Corporal

Yeah. Pikes are way too killy. They should be a tough-skinned, (relatively) toothless delaying unit, the anvil. Right now it's a hammer with ICBM's strapped to the side.

Also sick of seeing all-elite armies. Praetorians don't seem very epic if there's armies full of them. As a Suebi player I've been trying to find ways to utilize light-medium infantry(e.g. Spear Brothers) as delayers, but they just disintegrate in seconds. Hell I tried using Sword Masters(toughest unit Suebi has) to pin down Foot Companions while flanking with berserkers, but the Swordmaster-anvil routs within 10-15 seconds. Run-through is the only thing that seems to work, but it feels exploity.

So yeah, I'd love to see big armies of medium inf, with a few elites, and cav+ranged added as sauce.
    Also pikemen being anvils rather than Space Marines. Sadly I haven't a clue how to fix these things. A soft cap through price is an idea I guess, but some factions have like 3 different Pike types. Maybe when overall kill-speeds are toned down, medium inf might be able to delay for longer?

Thanks for the effort Prussianprince. I'm curious if you know a way to make Suebi work in current MP? Their Longbows(8 AP!) have potential if anything..

Senior Member Sergeant

Me and some of my friends have done tests, not with Suebi (at least not me), but with other factions and it's almost impossible to win if the spammer doesn't make a mistake. It's just such a joke that in 2v2 you can cover the whole map from one side to the other with 2 pike armies, for example.

I don't know what to do yet against those spams, sorry. :/

As for making Suebi work, well... You can make anything work on MM because unfortunately, people aren't that great. It's just that when you get to the competitive side of things, these things start mattering. And there you use the most efficient and easy way to win, which is currently spamming heavy inf.
    Last edited by ThePrussianPrince; 09-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Kimmy.

I lost you at "to pint down Foot Companions while flanking with berserkers".. You are doing it wrong if you go frontal against pikes, you deserve to die. Never go full frontal against pike phalanx. Use your Suebi mobility and those Suebi Longbow Hunters to weaken his Foot companions, make him move and make mistakes

But I totally agree with you in all elite armies, I think the elites are the most broken thing in the game. They cost way too little for their prowess.

And regarding the video, spartan pikemen is the most broken unit in the game. 50 hp pike unit with decent stats for 510 is just OP. They should cost something close to 800.
    Last edited by Harba; 09-09-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Member Lance Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrussianPrince View Post
    Me and some of my friends have done tests, not with Suebi (at least not me), but with other factions and it's almost impossible to win if the spammer doesn't make a mistake. It's just such a joke that in 2v2 you can cover the whole map from one side to the other with 2 pike armies, for example.

I don't know what to do yet against those spams, sorry. :/

As for making Suebi work, well... You can make anything work on MM because unfortunately, people aren't that great. It's just that when you get to the competitive side of things, these things start mattering. And there you use the most efficient and easy way to win, which is currently spamming heavy inf.
    Thanks for the input! Yeah I watched the Flash tournament on Zaripts' stream, some builds were a bit of a joke(oh gosh that pikebox..). Oh well, we'll find a counter some day. Or a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Harba View Post
    I lost you at "to pint down Foot Companions while flanking with berserkers".. You are doing it wrong if you go frontal against pikes, you deserve to die.
    Mhm I completely understood that many would die, just not this fast. The idea behind it was that if you try to run around with berzerkers while not engaging the pikes, the pikes can constantly reposition. If they're occupied in combat they can't wheel around. The Swordmasters didn't have to win, they just had to occupy. Wanted to avoid a run-around-the-repositioning-pike benny hill theme scenario. Oh well. Catch my drift?

I do, but it's clearly not a valid strategy for a moment.

Senior Member Sergeant

Actually, while writing this I've done some tests as Arverni with oathsworn spam, while my opponent (zaript) used Suebi, and tried skirmishing me out and such. Didn't work for him it seems, but we're still testing. I'll edit this post in case we find something worthwhile against oathsworns.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast