Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: why is there no give/demand region diplomacy option?

Default why is there no give/demand region diplomacy option?

Since the release of the demo i thought that it was only the tut lacking the give/demand region's options but when i looked on a random screen shot from jack's shimazu campaign diary ( http://img827.imageshack.us/f/shimazu1c.jpg/ ) i saw that it wasn't on the full game diplomacy screen either.

Has CA said anything about why they decided to not include this?

even though it barley happend at all it did happen or rare occasions, which is why they should make the AI rarley agree to such and offer instead of removing this deplomacy option.

also they should fix the AI spamming you with " give region x " instead of removing the diplomacy option

also:
    TWC Poll
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=431474

thanks,
    -zeretex
    Last edited by zeretex; 03-11-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Senior Member Major-General Crazy Steve's Avatar

I heard two reasons, either it is because it's the demo or because it's because in feudal Japanese they didn't swap territories. Just the two things I've read on the forum myself so I don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Steve View Post
    I heard two reasons, either it is because it's the demo or because it's because in feudal Japanese they didn't swap territories. Just the two things I've read on the forum myself so I don't really know.
    well the fact that it is a demo is not the reason ( check the screen shot i linked )

and mikeb said himself
    --------------------------------------------
    If you think about it, matters cannot be any other way. From the moment that game loads, history is gone. Some historical processes have been abstracted and codified, but then we're selective about those too. So from the start, it’s a counterfactual, an alternate reality, something other than “true” history. We try to make something interesting and intriguing that captures some of the flavour of history, but then you get to play about with it and so stuff that never happened, might never have happened, should never have happened. It’s kind of cool, when you think about it. You get to have fun!
    -----------------------------------------

which means tht history shouldnt realy matter in this case.

Senior Member Sergeant-Major

Oh rats, I was thinking of trading the Takeda some backwater province in exchange for their warhorse-producing home province.

Senior Member Corporal TrenchKnife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeretex View Post
    well the fact that it is a demo is not the reason ( check the screen shot i linked )

and mikeb said himself
    --------------------------------------------
    If you think about it, matters cannot be any other way. From the moment that game loads, history is gone.

Yes, the specific path that history took is gone, but all TW games have always taken place within a historical framework specific and faithful to whatever time period and place they represent. The TW games have never been a pure sandbox. They have always been constrained by what was possible (or should I say probable) and likely within the given period of history. So if CA decided based on historical research that the trading/swaping of territories just wasnt done or was exceedingly rare then it makes sense for them not to include it. I too am guessing that that is why its not in the game.
    Last edited by TrenchKnife; 03-06-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Senior Member Sergeant yakuza1979's Avatar

Personaly I don't miss it...
    never liked to exchange any part of my country

Quote Originally Posted by yakuza1979 View Post
    Personaly I don't miss it...
    never liked to exchange any part of my country
    You could demand a region as a spoil of war after crushing your opponnent on the battlefield. I used this in all the TW games to both expand my empire, and weaken the enemy. It would make sense that its not in Shogun 2, since you never hear of japanese surrendering their whole province just because the enemy demanded it. Then again, thats the whole point of The Art of War: to win without fighting. So if the game really follows the Art of War, it would this diplomatic option (although you could just siege the city and take it without having to fight, but they always fight or attack you so you end up fighting anyways).

Senior Member Colonel Lucius Brutus's Avatar

I am personally glad that my enemy will stop spamming me with:

"Give Region: X for ceasefire" after taking over 2/3 of their country."

Quite honestly.

Member Lance Corporal Temujin64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kessen View Post
    Oh rats, I was thinking of trading the Takeda some backwater province in exchange for their warhorse-producing home province.
    I doubt they'd ever agree, especially as it's their capital and I don't think you can move your capital either.

Senior Member Lieutenant

Historically conceding/acquiring or swapping territories was not unknown in Japan, I think. Not 100 percent sure but I think it was more frequent than in the West.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast