Total War Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Difficulty Levels Explained

Junior Member Private ArmyJFire's Avatar

Question Difficulty Levels Explained

I am veteran of M:TW on forward, though I have not played E:TW or N:TW very much at all. I was deployed during M:TW2 thus it has honestly been quite awhile since I played through an entire TW game, though I have dabbled in them all except the original Shogun (which I will fix someday).

My question though is this, I have never understood the exact differences between the difficulty levels for campaigns and battles. Is there a post somewhere that explains exactly what separates one from the next? I am interested in a challenge, but not at the expense of whatever "realism" or game play can be had. (IE-I would rather play on a level where diplomacy is effective, rather than simply a harder level where everyone hates your guts & I would rather play on a level where battles are more challenging but not simply because now the enemy units have a stat boost).

I don't want to start my campaign on too low a level and not enjoy it (because I have reached the point where it is simply a matter of moving the hordes of my armies across the map) or on too high of a setting and not enjoying it because certain elements are not effective. Thanks for the help, very excited for the game.

Senior Member General

increasing the campaign difficulty makes the ai stupidly aggressive and gives them virtually free troops, while increasing the battle difficulty theoretically made the battle ai smarter although in reality just improved all of its troops.

so what is that legendary mode i'm hearing about?
    " My thirst to conquer as no end! 1st Japan then the rest of the world"
    ~ Airwane Daimyo ~

Senior Member Major

I would suggest putting on "hard" in campaign mode.
    Or else you will just steamroll the A.I when your economy kicks in. The A.I rarely build up enough trops to defend themselves otherwise.
    However, hard "battle" doesnt make it smarter, it only means that your trops lose morale quicker.

Senior Member Lieutenant Montcalm's Avatar

Hello,
    Legendary mode is basically very hard AI, no saving before battles and no pauses during battles.
    By the way, in French it's "..puis le monde" and not "DANS le monde".

Senior Member Major

Oui pon pon la francoise un puis le monde dechoue mounsieur?

Quote Originally Posted by Montcalm View Post
    Hello,
    Legendary mode is basically very hard AI, no saving before battles and no pauses during battles.
    By the way, in French it's "..puis le monde" and not "DANS le monde".
    mrd j'ai meme pas fais gaffe! lol! merci
    " My thirst to conquer as no end! 1st Japan then the rest of the world"
    ~ Airwane Daimyo ~

Member Lance Corporal Kagutsuchi's Avatar

Easy/Easy = The Campaign AI is slightly limited and will not target you as a primary in any great detail. A good place to start if you have no clue about TW games as the player gains a reasonable bonus to most aspects. The BAI is fairly restricted with the player recieving a Morale boost.

Normal/Normal = With this setting, the Campaign AI is on full mode but still does not act overly aggressive towards you. The player gets a slight bonus towards most elements of the campaign, such as revolt levels, tax revenue etc. The BAI is still slightly restricted but no-one gets any bonuses.

Hard/Hard = The BAI and CAI are both on full and the CAI will be quite aggressive towards you. The AI gains a very slight bonus to most things (such as morale, troop traning costs and a few stat tweeks (we are talking very minor percentages).

V.Hard/V.Hard = This is where the AI is on total riot, it is highly aggressive (although not stupidly so, it still plays a fair game, but affords you no respite) The AI gets minor bonuses in both Campaign and Battle. This is the level that will really test you and allow you to experience the full fury of the AI.

Legendary = This is daddy mode, Very Hard but with additional limitations, such as no save game, no minimap, camera restrictions et al. The AI doesn't recieve any further bonuses other than what it gets on V.Hard.
    Be warned, the Dev's have stated themselves that even they have found it a real challenge to beat the game on this level, so try it at your own risk

(also my prefered level )

Hope this helps

Senior Member Major

I will go H/H in the co-op.

Senior Member Sergeant Soveliss99's Avatar

i never played past normal in rome total war. if i did, when an enemy sieged me, they would never assault the walls...never ever... and i liked to defend walls etc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast