Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Patch 4 Beta Live Now - updated on the 10/10/2013

Joey CAJoey CA Creative AssemblyPosts: 673Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
edited October 2013 in Total War: ROME II
Hello all,

The patch 4 beta is available for download via Steam now (click right here if you’re unaware how to subscribe to beta patches). With 175 fixes, it’s far and away our biggest Rome II update yet. You should see some real changes to the game while encountering fewer technical issues.

While there are a host of technical fixes, usability improvements and gameplay balances, the real headline features of this update are AI related. We’ve made a number of important changes to the way the AI approaches diplomacy, develops its technologies and upgrades its buildings. It also more carefully monitors its food VS squalor balance, and fights food shortage problems better. It’s more likely to build elite units when it has the technology, buildings and money to do so. It’s also more mindful when it’s dealing with front and flank attacks in battle, and uses its pikemen more sensibly.

The full list of fixes is available by clicking here but we’ve pulled out a few key changes for you below:

• Improved AI construction logic: It now constructs more military buildings.
• Improved AI army compositions and unit quality. The AI uses better units and slightly less ranged units.
• AI research is focused more on military techs at the start of the campaign.
• The AI is now much more careful with constructing buildings that consume food or increase squalor. This has improved the AI's ability to fight food shortage problems.
• The AI runs its troops less often in battle often, and so avoids exhausting its troops by the time they reach their opponents.
• AI defensive ambush behaviour improved.
• The AI now arranges its forces to more appropriately deal with simultaneous front and side attacks. This involves angling and bifurcation of its line with appropriate units to deal with the player’s use of flanking or harassing forces.
• When generating armies, the AI is now more likely to choose elite units when it has the funds to do so.
• Improved AI use of Pikemen in battles (more commonly lower pikes to accept charges).
• Increased chance of AI making alliances in diplomacy.
• Slightly increased the effects of diplomatic events on relations with third party factions, and the AI remembers diplomatic events for a longer period of time.

And finally please be aware this update is in beta – we’re still testing it internally and looking forward to beta-test feedback.

[EDIT]A hotfix update is available here.[/EDIT]
[EDIT]Another hotfix update is available here.[/EDIT]
Post edited by Joey CA on
The Community Coordinator for Total War: WARHAMMER

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Comments

• MarcerorMarceror Senior Member Posts: 353Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thank you
    This is not a troll post. Sometimes I make humorous posts. These forums desperately need a bit of humor to contrast all of the angst. Moderators, please do not ban me for making an innocent, humorous post every now and again.
  • MyrdenMyrden Senior Member Posts: 280Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    That's a big un! Cheers!

Will this work with patch3 saves?
  • WulfWulf Senior Member Posts: 292Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Oh boy, can't wait to test this one out.
  • TordoTordo Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • Maximus ThraxMaximus Thrax Senior Member Posts: 1,946Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    good
    Don't go Ad Hominem
  • tom_gr7tom_gr7 Senior Member Posts: 551Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Rome II: Totally Casual.

Streamlined features, missing content from previous releases, zero diplomacy, no family tree, lack of character progression, magical transports, complete lack of battle, siege and campaign AI, blob style fighting formations, no guard or loose formations, 3minute battles, magical fire burning torches, zero seasons, magical unit replenishment, 1 turn per year, monotonous and incredibly tedious campaign,
  • AndrestorAndrestor Senior Member Posts: 184Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • tom_gr7tom_gr7 Senior Member Posts: 551Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Do we need to start new campaigns Joey? Is it recommended?
    Rome II: Totally Casual.

Streamlined features, missing content from previous releases, zero diplomacy, no family tree, lack of character progression, magical transports, complete lack of battle, siege and campaign AI, blob style fighting formations, no guard or loose formations, 3minute battles, magical fire burning torches, zero seasons, magical unit replenishment, 1 turn per year, monotonous and incredibly tedious campaign,
  • [G-Shock][G-Shock] Senior Member Posts: 275Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    At present time beta 4 is not listed yet on the steam properties beta tab. :)
  • flaxusflaxus Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • MyrdenMyrden Senior Member Posts: 280Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Yes it is, I'm downloading it.
  • Maximus ThraxMaximus Thrax Senior Member Posts: 1,946Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Oh why must that download from steam servers always go bad?
    Don't go Ad Hominem
  • Rich90Rich90 Senior Member Posts: 167Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    downloading now:)
  • [G-Shock][G-Shock] Senior Member Posts: 275Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    As of now Patch beta 4 is listed. :)
  • SmoesvilleSmoesville Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    No dismounting for chariots...
  • barabbarab Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    It takes some time for your steam client to sync, patience!
  • SlaistsSlaists Senior Member Posts: 2,765Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thank you! :) A new campaign start in order. But I love it.
  • WhiteFlagofWarWhiteFlagofWar Senior Member Posts: 1,626Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Patch notes look great, I especially love the

"Improved AI construction logic. It now constructs more military buildings.
    Improved AI army compositions & unit quality. The AI uses better units and slightly less ranged units.
    AI research is more military focused at the start of the campaign. "

Great job CA crew! :)
  • NihilVerumNihilVerum Senior Member Posts: 282Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thank you very much.
  • StyoStyo Senior Member Posts: 117Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    So when will the game be released? Usually Beta's last about 4 months, so release expected January 2014?
    Total War: Arena
    Rome: Total War | Rome: Total War - Alexander | Empire: Total War | Total War: Rome II
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 6,971Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited October 2013
    Amazing. Time for some more testing!

Thanks CA!
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • grayhatgrayhat Senior Member UKPosts: 3,609Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Fix for major performance issue caused by reinforcing naval units in certain circumstances.

Fingers crossed.
    Team Wood Elves

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA
  • Trish CATrish CA Guest Posts: 635Unregistered / Not Logged In
    edited October 2013
    To those that are asking if they have to start a new campaign: tt really depends. Ideally, no you do not have to. However, to fully optimize the new patch, I would suggest starting up a new campaign. Try your old campaign versus a new one first. If there is a significant (and better) difference within the new campaign, your answer shall lie there.
  • psg4everpsg4ever Member Posts: 83Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thats a big beta patch, 143 MB. Hoping that performance will be better optimized with this one. Thank you CA for sending these patches out quick!

I5 3350P
    GTX 660 twin frozr III OC
    8 gb ddr3
    Win 7 pre
  • Redcoat-MicRedcoat-Mic Senior Member Posts: 101Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    So, anything about torches and gates or hoplites phalanx formation working?

I can see they've both been "balanced" but does that mean hoplites can move in formation and the AI will use siege equipment?
  • rohirrimelfrohirrimelf Senior Member Posts: 388Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    good job. just found out civ 5 has a new patch as well so my weekend will be great.
  • CakefishCakefish Senior Member Posts: 183Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I gain 2fps with this patch in battles. 2 measly fps. Ugh. Well at at least it is an improvement. I look forward to patch 5 with the promised further improvements.
    Intel Core i7-4800MQ 2.7-4.0GHz
    8GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600MHz RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
  • TheCrazyHeadGamerTheCrazyHeadGamer Senior Member Posts: 1,036Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    am i reading this wrong or did they reduced the morale during the battle o_O
    TheCrazyHeadGamer have spoken !

My Youtube Channel
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 6,971Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited October 2013
    Cakefish wrote: »
    I gain 2fps with this patch in battles. 2 measly fps. Ugh. Well at at least it is an improvement. I look forward to patch 5 with the promised further improvements.

Keep an eye out for videocard drivers aswell ;) You never know.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • AlyssaFadenAlyssaFaden Senior Member Posts: 654Registered Users
    edited October 2013