Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Food shortages?

ReinierReinier MemberPosts: 44Registered Users
edited May 2012 in Total War: Shogun 2
Anyone else having issues with food shortages in the game? it seems like I spend almost all my money upgrading the farms in my provinces but my people still get upset over food shortages and start to rebel.

anyone have any tips?
Post edited by Reinier on

Comments

• Lakewolf52Lakewolf52 Senior Member Posts: 112Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Same with me. It's like how much can you eat, wtf? j.k but yeah help.
  • SergeorSergeor Senior Member Posts: 111Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Don't build your castles to highest level in every province and read encyacleplodedia :)

Also some other buildings need some food so check what you do!
    edited March 2011
    Yes but....how do you get food supply? I build a **** load of farms and it's still zero or below. Lately it isn't a problem for me but that is because I hold a number of provinces.
  • SeverianSeverian Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Every time you upgrade your castle you reduce your food supply by one. You must upgrade the farm in that province higher to keep upgrading castles (and certain other buildings). Food isn;t chared between the provinces I don;t think.
  • VisorVisor Senior Member Posts: 631Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    There was a global food supply in the demo and I can't imgaine that changed. Castles aren't the only thing that use food, rice exchanges also use one food so you have to be careful with what you build and try and keep 2-3 food supply incase your farms are attacked.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,300Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Castles as well as the Rice Exchange and onward chain (Second level of Market and up) consumes food. The only structures that produce food are farms. Keeping up food surpluse (which BTW the encyclopedia offers no information on) with development is considerably difficult since upgrading requires not only tiers but also unlocked arts- in other words if you end up building your castles and you haven't even started researching farm unlocks, you're screwed. For a long time.

The encyclopedia has ZERO information on food and its effect. The shortcut Food Shortage leads only to the Construction page.

Food supply I believe is still global.

According to the encyclopedia, unit upkeep does not consume food. So as long as you have money, train away.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
  • AuborAubor Member Posts: 54Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Lakewolf52 wrote: »
    Yes but....how do you get food supply? I build a **** load of farms and it's still zero or below. Lately it isn't a problem for me but that is because I hold a number of provinces.

Mouse over your castle and read the tool tip. See where it says "food consumed"? That is where your food goes. So if you build a castle that consumes more food than you produce, you will have a negative food supply in a province.

Your castle upgrades must coincide with your farm level. Otherwise you face a never ending stream of rebellions. Also keep in mind the marketplace or perhaps the rice exchange also consumes food. Building it will reduce your food supply.

You guys have to start readin the tool tips and the encyclopedia. The answers for most everything is there. They went to all the touble of putting in this marvelous in fame information just right at the tips of our fingers and its is a shame not to use it.
    edited March 2011
    I would read but the font on my screen resolution is fail. It's not impossible to read but it hurts my eyes. My max resolution on my laptop is 1366x768.
  • DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,191Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    According to CIF:
    C.I.F wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry but the issue you have isn't a bug. There are many reasons you may be having revolts.
    In this case it may be this is a result of not having enough food for your Castles and towns. Any army only takes a very small portion of food to upkeep compared to the Castles, Markets, Towns and Ports you control.
    A succesful Daimyo needs to feed the population of all his lands and the bigger his Castles and the larger his Markets are the more food you need to support them. You may have too many high level castles and markets.
    The revolts are a result of not doing enough to keep your new subjects happy and possibly not feeding them well enough. Try using Metsuke and Monk agents to keep them happy, or try exempting unhappy regions from taxation until you have gained their obedient trust. Also dont build the biggest castles everywhere. They cost a lot of food to support.
    It's worth reading the Total War encyclopedia (accessed via the encyclopedia button in the top left of your campaign screen) for hints and tips and also listening to your Advisor for hints as to what is going wrong and how to fix it.

Hope this helps you.

From this thread: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/9897-food-error-problem-glitch?highlight=food
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • templars ruletemplars rule Senior Member Posts: 241Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Also tax rate directly affects food surplus/shortages.
    Just remember you are unique - just like everybody else.
  • VisorVisor Senior Member Posts: 631Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Lakewolf52 wrote: »
    I would read but the font on my screen resolution is fail. It's not impossible to read but it hurts my eyes. My max resolution on my laptop is 1366x768.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/8404-Guide-to-the-Guides-%28Total-War-Shogun-2%29

the link contains an Online Encyclopedia that should help you
  • ReinierReinier Member Posts: 44Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    daelin4 wrote: »
    Castles as well as the Rice Exchange and onward chain (Second level of Market and up) consumes food. The only structures that produce food are farms. Keeping up food surpluse (which BTW the encyclopedia offers no information on) with development is considerably difficult since upgrading requires not only tiers but also unlocked arts- in other words if you end up building your castles and you haven't even started researching farm unlocks, you're screwed. For a long time.

The encyclopedia has ZERO information on food and its effect. The shortcut Food Shortage leads only to the Construction page.

Food supply I believe is still global.

Cool thanks for the info, I guess thats why my people were starving lol, I kept upgrading my castles as soon as I could but my farms might not have been keeping up. I also had a rice exchange that I didnt know consumed food as well that I kept upgrading.
    daelin4 wrote: »
    According to the encyclopedia, unit upkeep does not consume food. So as long as you have money, train away.

Sweet :D I thought the army was eating up most of my food but I guess I was wrong :P
  • trisvandistrisvandis Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Reinier wrote: »
    Cool thanks for the info, I guess thats why my people were starving lol, I kept upgrading my castles as soon as I could but my farms might not have been keeping up. I also had a rice exchange that I didnt know consumed food as well that I kept upgrading.

Sweet :D I thought the army was eating up most of my food but I guess I was wrong :P

I made this exact same error on my first campaign. I kept down-sizing my armies because I thought they were eating all the food and kept building fortresses. In the end, the peasants revolting ruining my economy by burning farms and trade ports, which ended the game prematurely for me :(

In my second game, I was a lot more careful about building fortresses...
    My Total War want list:

1. Rome II
    2. Medieval III
    3. Briton Total War: The Dark Ages
    4. Ancient Greece
    5. Napoleon II (with Wellington campaign in India)
  • BloodlanceBloodlance Senior Member Posts: 840Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Upgrading castles and marketplaces => upgrading those 2 makes you go out of food.

Research the food upgrade buildings in the research tree, and build them asap.

Then you have planty of food to upgrade some of your castles up to gain better production and better revanue from the key provinces.

Normal provinces only need 1 upgrade in keeps, where gold and other special provinces could be maxed out.
    Bloodlance aka SG4tw
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,068
    edited March 2011
    Food is faction wide not region wide so if you have a level one castle in one of your regions but have a farm there that is producing three food then you can put those two units of spare food towards castles in your other regions.
  • BloodlanceBloodlance Senior Member Posts: 840Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Also, having 0 food is not wise if you intend to expand, taking a AI castle that is maxed out with lvl 1 food field, will make you go negative and thus make some of your provinces go negative on morale/happines => leads to rebellion.
    Bloodlance aka SG4tw
  • Jungle RhinoJungle Rhino Senior Member Posts: 287Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Yes you need to be careful conquering well developed provinces - after I conquered Hojo I had some big problems as they had highly developed castles but not enough food to feed them!

Some arts also use or provide food - for e.g. Sumo Tournaments & the Chukonibu-wots-it one (that gives you third tier farms)
  • SteeLSteeL Junior Member Posts: 25Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Please fix this bug team.

Im also fed up of this. Everytime I win a region n buid army im into food shortages eve though Im not upgrading my castle.

Please i wana play campaigns nicely. :(
    DarthMod fan : 5IZ6F.png
    My 1st every strategy game after Commandos :D
    Would love to see game fixes n updated rather than Paid DLC'z
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,300Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    necropost. closed.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
This discussion has been closed.