Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Official Shogun2, RotS, and FotS FAQ Thread

daelin4daelin4 Senior MemberPosts: 16,043Registered Users
edited March 2013 in Total War: SHOGUN 2
Check out these additional guides provided by fellow posters of this forum:
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/8404-Guide-to-the-Guides-%28Total-War-Shogun-2%29

Here we shall assemble a FAQ thread for Total War: Shogun 2! Post or PM me any questions and answers (please be definitive and detailed as possible) and I shall post them in this thread.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING
-I shall be monitoring this thread closely and try to update and organize questions and answers

-Due to tendency of posters to ramble off, you can ONLY post in this thread for the sole purpose of requesting clarification on certain FAQ questions.
Please submit answers/questions via Private Message (commonly known as "PM") to myself and any moderator that offers. If you wish to add some more details to existing FAQs, then you are free to post them in this thread. They will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators like myself, whether or not they contribute to this thread.
-I and the other mods will decide whether or not your posts or PMs should be included into this thread. I want this to be a usable resource for forum members, not a cluttered thread.
-When you see a new thread in the forums that is covered by the FAQ, please post a link to the FAQs in your first response. Then report the thread so that we can close it down and redirect. We may or may not include any new information found in such a thread. This FAQ is meant to be a central piece of this section for players to find information in a single thread in an organized fashion.
-Please follow the format I shall use in the first response below. This is to make sure this thread stays organized in a consistent manner.
-This thread is NOT meant to cover technical support. Post in the STW2 Support section instead. Techmods are specialized for such issues. While some may interlink, this thread is primarily for general game information.

FAQ Format:

#. [Ask question here]*

*For purpose of easy browsing please use YELLOW FONT for the question. This allows faster editing onto the FAQ thread.

Table of Contents
(For easier searching of this forum, use the Search Thread feature located at the top right toolbar of this page, located above "Advanced Search". You can also use Search function of your browser, such as Cntl+F)

1. What are the common terminologies and shorthand for Total War: Shogun 2?
2. Is there a way to access the Shogun2 Encyclopedia other than in the game?
3. What is replenishment, how do I manage it and how can I improve it?
4. Any general tips to winning battles?
5. What is this "Food Surplus" I see beside Funds and Income?
6. Do we need to keep an eye on population growth for upgrading Castles?
7. What's the difference between the Yari Ashigaru Garrison and the regular Yari Ashigaru?
8. What's the difference between Yari/Bow Ashigaru and Yari/Bow Samurai?
9. Can you provide a quick rundown in the differences between the melee cavalry types?
10: What are the balloons on the backs of my General's Bodyguard Unit?
11: What are the specific bonuses for experience levels?
12: My clan's children come of age at different ages. What's going on?
13: What are the differences between the difficulty levels?
14. Which is better, a highly experienced Bow Ashigaru or an inexperienced Bow Samurai?
15. The Encyclopedia shows only base stats. How do I find what bonuses are for individual units?
16. What are the requirements for training Warrior Monks?
17. What benefits do I get from converting to Christianity?
18. Do units have reduced upkeep costs when they suffer any losses?
19. What are Hero Units?
20. How do I get my troops to move across the map without screwing up my formation?
21. Can you destroy a building in your city and build something else?
22. It takes forever to master Arts! Is there any way to make it faster?
23. What is Realm Divide?
24. What are the major special abilities and how to use them effectively?
25. What is the end date for the game?
26. It seems that some structures require certain materials before constructing. Where can I get those?
27. How do I get Warrior Monks/Heroes/Guards/Geisha?
28. Can Total War: Shogun 2 run on Apple's Mac computers?
29. What are the minimum system requirements for Total War: Shogun 2?
30. How do I become Shogun?
31. What are Naginata Samurai's uses?
32. What are the uses of No-Dachi Samurai?
33. There are so many units, how do I know which one's good for which?
34. What are Samurai Retainers and Onna Bushi?
35. Which Cavalry units are faster/ lighter and suitable for chasing down routing units?
36. I've suffered losses to my fleet. How do I replenish?
37. I noticed some icons at the top left corner of a unit card in Recruitment Tab. What are they?
38. What's the difference between the Armour and Defence Skill stats?
39. My agents keeping failing their missions. How can I make them level up?
40. How do I get Imported Matchlock Ashigaru, how do I get Matchlock Ashigaru and Matchlock Samurai?
41. My units seem to be "losing" experience, what's going on?
42. What are Character Retinue?
43. What are the benefits of arranging a marriage between your own and another clan?
44. What penalties would I gain if I broke alliance with a clan that asked for my help?
45. The enemy has a fleet in their port. How do I attack it?
46. How do I upgrade my existing units?
47. How do characters' experience work?
48. What does the Character Conversion do?
49. Where are the Naginata Warrior Monk Cavalry?
50. Do my vassal clans made after Realm Divide suffer the same effects as those made before?
51. My ships take whole turns just to embark/disembark armies and agents! Is there way to do this faster?
52. How does the arts mastery rate bonus work?
53. I found a website that emulates the Encyclopedia. Why does it contradict some of the contents here?
54. I keep getting this "Dishonouring Treaties" trait. What is that?
55. What are the yellow stars beside the characters and what do they represent?
56. Does a Metsuke still counterspy/detect enemy agents in the region if he is in the regions settlement?
57. What is a Spy network and what does it do?
58. Is it possible to change what retainers are available? Are we limited to the 2 options we are given? Do they randomize the next turn if we don't pick one? is it possible to switch them to another character?
59. What are some basic tips for diplomacy?
60. Do agents' effects in towns and armies stack?
61. What are Clan Effects, Events and Dilemmas?
62. How can I stop routing enemy ships?
63. What is Loyalty/Honour and how do I raise it?
64. Does the Artisan building chain benefit matchlock units?
65. 65.How do Generals gain experience?
66. How do Reinforcements work?
67. After fighting some of my units disappear.
68. My general seems very weak on the battlefield. What can I do to maximize his effectiveness?
69. What are trade nodes, what do they do and how do I use them?
70. There are patches for the game, how do I install them?
71. After Patch 2 in the Encyclopedia there are some new units shown. What are they?
72. How come my bonuses don't seem to add up?
73. I got an event called the Black Ship. What is this and what can I do?
74. Can I change the campaign difficulty when I've already started it?
75. What's in the Sengoku Jidai DLC pack?
76. How do you engage in Night Battles?
77. What is Rise of he Samurai?
78. What chances occurred with the agents in the RotS Campaigns?
79. What is Allegiance?
80. What's been changed in respect to the units?
81. I destroyed a clan by taking it's last province, but why do they still have armies around?
82. I can recruit units with a large amount of bonus experience, but I can't see to figure out why.
83. What are the clan-specific variants for the units?
84. What is Fall of the Samurai?

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
Post edited by daelin4 on

Comments

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,043Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    Reserved space

edited March 2011
    Answers:

1. What are some common terminologies and shorthand found in Total War: Shogun 2 discussions?

A: Here I shall compile a list of common terms, acronyms and other associated words to allow confused readers some context of what is begin discussed.If you are unsure of what a particular term means, use the Find function of your browser to quickly search for it here.
    -Total War: Shogun 2: The full, official name of Creative Assembly's latest game on Senguko Japan! Common abbreviations are TWS2, STW2, S2, Shogun2
    -Creative Assembly: you guessed it, the lovely group of developers that made this game! Only sanctioned abbreviation is CA.
    -Yari: The Japanese word for spear. In-game, Yari refers to any spear units or respective structures to train them. Any unit in-game with the prefix "Yari" is a spear unit, with the addition of Great Guard and Light Cavalry.
    -Samurai: these are professional-quality units, boasting higher quality in stats but also more expensive than Ashigaru variants and may take more turns to train.
    -Ashigaru: Any non-Samurai unit; they represent lower quality, but cheaper and do not require extensive upgrades or structures to unlock. These units provide more men per unit, allowing greater numerical superiority.
    -Loan Sword: refers to the Loan Sword Ashigaru, the Ashgiaru equivalent to Katana Samurai. Common uses include just simply referring them to "Loan Swords" or "Loaners". This unit is only available to the Ikko Ikki in the campaign.
    -Katana: A famous variant of Japanese sword. In-game they refer to any sword-wielding unit, including Samurai Retainers and Katana Samurai.
    -Onni Bushi: these are naginata-wielding infantry that are spawned whenever a 3rd-tier Castle structure and higher becomes under siege.
    -Tier: Another word for "level"; a 3rd-teir or upper-tier refers to, respectively, the third level of structure of a chain, or the third level of unlockable abilities for agents in the game. For example, the 3rd-tier of the Castle, Archery and Improvement Chains are called Fortress, Bow Master Dojo and Hunting Lodge, but it may be easier to simply name a Chain and cite the tier number rather than type the full name. Interchangeable with the Game term "Chain"
    -Dojo: May refer to specific structures such as the Bow Master Dojo, or can be shorthand for any structure that allows units to be trained even the word does not appear in their full name.
    -Yumi: Japanese for Bow; this term can be found in discussions involving archer units.
    -Missile: Any weapon or unit using such that are distinct from melee weapons. Common unit types classified as Missiles include archers, but less commonly may include firearm units such as Matchlock Infantry, and firebomb-throwers. A subclass include Missile Cavalry or simply Horse Archers, a combination of the type unit types.
    -Matchlock: any land unit that utilizes gunpowder as part of their role excluding cannons, fire-throwers and naval units. Common alternate terms include Gunners or Arquebusiers.
    -Siege units: any units classified as Siege Units in the game Encyclopedia. Units include Cannons and Mangonels. Such units are commonly referred as Artillery, or simply "arty".
    -Naginata: A particular weapon used only by the Heavy Infantry category units.
    -General: can mean non-Family Generals, or all characters that operate as generals in the field, including Daimyo and Family members
    -Daimyo: A character that serves as the leading figure equivalent to a King. Other names include "Faction Leader".
    -Melee: a weapon type that units use. Melee weapons are Sword (Katana), Spear (Yari) or Naginata (Heavy Infantry). There are Melee Infantry as well as Melee Cavalry.
    -Food Surplus: Often known as Food Supply or just "Food".
    -Arts: Can be simply called "Research". The two branches are Bushido (Military) and Chi (Civic).
    -Realm Divide: When you become the new Shogunate, and most or all of the other clans declare war on you. Refer to FAQ 23.

edited March 2011
    2. Is there a way to access the Shogun2 Encyclopedia other than in the game?

A: The Shogun2 Encyclopedia may run slowly in-game, depending on your computer. If you want to browse it in a more comfortably faster manner, or prefer to run it without the game, you can access it in
    C:\*steam's directory*\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\data\encyclopedia
    Here you can access any of the .HTML documents which will open your default internet browser. You do NOT need internet connection to view them (you hear me, Steam complainers?!). This offline webpage operates in the same way as it does in-game; the buttons work the same.
    ***Note that there are multiple .HTML documents; they all link to the same article.

3. What is replenishment, how do I manage it and how can I improve it?

A: If you have played Napoleon you may have encountered the feature known as replenishment. Replenishment is the replacement of older TW games' retrain feature, and serves to automatically replace losses sustained in battles.

Dogthinker has submitted a list of known replenishment bonus sources:
    Here is a list of sources I've encountered to date:

Castle: 0%, 5%, 8%, 12%, 25% dependent on castle type
    Roads: 0%, 2%, 5%, 10% dependent on road type
    Encampment: 10% for all types except Barracks, which gives 20%
    Heaven and Earth: 5%
    Commissioner of Supply: 1% to 6%, equal to the appointed general's level
    Inspirational skill: 0%, 5%, 10% bonus to the whole province dependent on the skill level. I don't think multiple generals can stack this bonus, but my other general with this skill died recently, and since I play legendary I can't go back to verify this again.
    Surgeon retainer: 5% to units under the general's command.

Assuming generals can't stack their bonuses, the maximum would therefore be +81% (!) in the form of: 25% (Citadel) + 10% (Imperial Roads and Towers) + 20% (Barracks) + 5% (Heaven and Earth) + 6% (Level 6 Commissioner of Supply) + 10% (1 Inspirational 3 General) + 5% (Surgeon)

4. Any general tips to winning battles?

A: If you've played TW games before, you'll know flanking, unit types, terrain and, of course, and the good ol' general's presence is a huge influence on winning against even the most overwhelming enemies. It seems the generals' death brings a far bigger blow to morale than previous games, so ALWAYS look out for the general; to find them easily, try to spot the decorative emblems at the top of the usual Unit banner in Battle Mode. The General is composed of Katana Cavalry, which is effective in melee combat but vulnerable to spear infantry...yes, even the lowly Yari Ashigaru! If every you find an opportunity to engage the enemy general, it is nearly always a good investment to divert your troops to killing him, especially when you are cornered in a castle against huge enemy numbers. The enemy general; is also distinct from other units by his bodyguards' Horo on their back, which look like large spherical balloons. Whenever you see Horo, you'll find the general, or the routing remains of his bodyguard!

5. What is this "Food Surplus" I see beside Funds and Income?

A:Food Surplus is basically a limit to the number of certain structure upgrades (Castle and Market upgrades, not the initial 1st-tier structures); upgrading too many such structures and thus having a negative Food Surplus will incur happiness and growth penalties to the respective province not producing enough food. With a negative food surplus the game will notify you at the start of your turn, along with the Food Surplus icon at the bottom right corner of the screen flashing red and the corresponding deficit. The penalty to unrest and growth grows slowly over time until it reaches a cap, thus causing considerable economic and happiness problems in that province. The only things that provide Food Surplus are Farms and mastery of the Chonindo arts.

In contrast, a positive Food Surplus is a global effect, so you will never have a province producing plenty and another deficient.

Note that unplanned development of Market and Castle structures prior to mastering Chonindo can bring considerable problems due to the large number of turns to unlocking further Farm upgrades. Make sure to plan ahead and decide which provinces to invest in Castle and Market upgrades. The Food Surplus icon will flash red if Castle and/or Market upgrades are being constructed that, once finished, will lead to a food shortage.

***Units themselves do not cost any Food Surplus points. They only require money for upkeep. So as long as you got the koku flowing, train away and fight your way to the title of Shogun!

edited March 2011
    6. Do we need to keep an eye on population growth for upgrading Castles?

A: No; structures now only require the necessary Arts researched, the prerequisite buildings built and the money before you can construct upgrades. Castles no longer require a certain population size like they did in previous games.

7. What's the difference between the Garrison and the regular units?
    A: They are totally identical, no number or stat differences. Garrisons spawn only when the settlement is under siege, and cost no upkeep. You can see how many garrison units will spawn by taking a close look at the banner flying on your castle; they will be grey pips.

edited March 2011
    8. What's the difference between Yari/Bow Ashigaru and Yari/Bow Samurai?

A: In essence, the Yari and Bow Samurai are better versions of the Ashigaru equivalents. Their tradeoff is more cost to train and upkeep and require more turns to train. The statistical differences are as follows:
    For Samurai vs. (Ashigaru):
    Cost: 700 (250),
    Upkeep:150 (75)
    Melee Attack: 6 (3)
    Charge Bonus: 15 (1)
    Bonus vs. Cavalry: 25 (20)
    Melee Defence: 8 (3)
    Armour: 5 (2)
    Morale: 10 (5)
    Speed: Both are 4
    Turns to produce without bonuses: 2 (1)

For Bow Samurai vs. (Ashigaru)
    Cost: 350 (750)
    Upkeep: 150 (75)
    Melee Attack: 6 (2)
    Charge Bonus: Both have zero
    Range: Both at 150
    Accuracy without bonuses: 40 (25)
    Ammunition: Both have 20
    Bonus vs. Cavalry: Both have Zero
    Reload Skill: 60 (20)
    Melee Defence: 2 (1)
    Armour: 4 (1)
    Morale: 8 (3)
    Speed: Both are 4
    Turns to produce without bonuses: 2 (1)

As you can see, statistics show a clear advantage to using Samurai Yari and Bowmen. However you will often find armies composed of Ashigaru since they can be produced at a far quicker pace.

Additional information provided by Dark Side: Another advantage of Bow Samurai over Bow Ashigaru are their higher rating of armour penetration and damage; so unless your enemy army is composed entirely of Ashigaru units, then the Bow Samurai's missile advantages cause more overall and critical damage, especially useful against other samurai units and generals.

edited March 2011
    9. Can you provide a quick rundown in the differences between the melee cavalry types?

A: In general, each type overlap and specialize in very different roles so that there really is no overall medium cavalry. Here is a summarized X-Y-Z comparison of the Melee Cavalry.

Cost and (Upkeep):
    Light Cavalry: 400 (100); Katana Cavalry: 950 (200); Yari Cavalry 800 (200); Great Guard: 1200 (300)
    Melee Attack: LC 4; KC 18; YC 5; GG 15; Gen 14
    Charge Bonus: LC 20; KC 15; YC 25; GG 35; Gen 15
    Bonus vs. Cavalry: LC 7; KC 0; YC 15; GG 15; Gen 0
    Melee Defence: LC 1; KC 6; YC 1; GG 7; Gen 6
    Armour: LC 2; KC 7; YC 4; GG 7; Gen 7
    Morale: LC 8; KC 12; YC 10; GG 15; Gen 15
    Speed: LC 12; KC 10; YC 12; GG 10; Gen 10

Interpreting these stats,
    Light, Yari and Great Guard are ideal against other cavalry units because they count as spear units
    Yari, Katana and Great Guard function as ideal shock chargers
    Generals, Great Guard and Katana are most durable of all cavalry against missile units

From these statistics, Spear Cavalry effectively function just as that- cavalry with spears- so use them against enemy cavalry, especially generals!

• Rastafari_KenRastafari_Ken Senior Member Posts: 903Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    10: What are the balloons on the backs of my General's Bodyguard Unit?

A: They are Horos; silk capes, which, when caught in the wind billow into a balloon shape. They were usually decorated to identify the rider. They serve dual purposes of obscuring the the rider as a target and protecting the rider's back from arrow attack by deflecting or absorbing the projectile's impact. The following video examines the effectiveness of the Horo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26o9LiaB0Zg relevant footage begins at approximately 1:20.
    edited March 2011
    11: What are the specific bonuses for experience levels?

A: This can be found in the Encyclopedia. In the Main Menu, scroll down to Campaign Map Play and find the Experience article. It shows in detail what exactly a unit benefits from experience levels. In summary, land units with gain incremental improvements: in Melee Attack, Melee Defence and Morale, and additional point is given; if the unit is a Missile Unit, Accuracy and Reload Skill is also increased by two points. Experience levels do not stack; however, bonuses from structures, provinces and other benefits will stack.

Land units' experience levels affect the following:
    Incremental increases to Melee Attack, Melee Defence, Morale Missile Accuracy and Reload Skill (if its a missile unit), and at level 5, gain -1 up to -3 to fatigue, thus increasing their stamina.

12: My clan's children come of age at different ages. What's going on?

A: CA staff members have stated that this is random.

13: What are the differences between the difficulty levels?

A: Jack Lusted has provided some insight on this:
    Difficulty in Total War games works as follows:

Battles

AI gets penalties and player bonuses on easy.
    AI gets bonuses on hard and very hard.

Bonuses and penalties apply to morale, melee attack, accuracy. The bonuses the AI received for each difficulty level were halved in Shogun 2 compared to Empire and Napoleon.

Campaign

AI gets penalties and player bonuses on easy.
    AI gets bonuses on hard and very hard.

Bonuses and penalties apply to things like building time, research time, effect of attrition, movement range. AI is also more aggressive towards the player on hard and very hard.

Legendary is the same as very hard in terms of bonuses for the AI, extra restrictions are placed on the player (can't see enemy units at long range in battles, saving mechanics in the campaign etc.)

14. Which is better, a highly experienced Bow Ashigaru or an inexperienced Bow Samurai?

A: Experience and other bonuses add improvements in a few areas, and technically a Bow Ashigaru trained, when given the highest possible bonuses possible, can be a close rival to a Bow Samurai having none of these upgrades. However, be mindful that the same bonuses by and large also apply to any samurai equivalent trained at the same facility. Some statistics have less improvements than others, so chances are a Samurai equivalent will likely still retain some sort of superiority over a highly experienced Ashigaru unit of the same type. In the end, circumstances often dictate whether a Bow Ashigaru or a Bow Samurai would prevail, include battlefield conditions such as a general's death and unit routs (whether enemy or friendly). By and large, Samurai hold improve statistics, especially in the early phase of the game, but can be easily countered by larger numbers of Ashigaru. In the end, you will likely never come across a situation where having one or the other makes a decisive difference, since so much more factors hold more influence over details such as morale.

edited March 2011
    15. The Encyclopedia shows only base stats. How do I find what bonuses are for individual units?

In the campaign map, select the respective army and hover your mouse cursor over the unit you want to look at. A black panel to the side of the screen will show details of that specific unit. Green bars after the yellow in stats panel show specific bonuses added from all bonuses given by the game, including global bonuses, and also displays number of troops, experience level as well as progress bar to the next level, and unit abilities.

2011031800003.png

As you can see in the above image, the Yari Ashigaru boasts numerous bonuses represented by additional green pips in the statistic bars. Upkeep cost has also been reduced to 64 (from 75), reflecting the upkeep bonuses given clan-wide.

edited March 2011
    16. What are the requirements for training Warrior Monks?

Credit goes to skrz for providing this information!

A:
    Monastery+naginata dojo for naginata warrior monks
    Monastery+foot archery range for bow monks
    Research needed:
    monastery - essence of the spirit
    naginata dojo - way of the spear
    foot archery range - bow expertise

edited March 2011
    17. What benefits do I get from converting to Christianity?

Clan effects gained from your Daimyo converting to Christianity are:
    -improved diplomatic relations to any other Christian clans.
    -50% cost to recruit Imported Matchlock Ashigaru (Base cost of 900 down to 450, excluding any other cost reductions you may already have)
    -2 turns recruitment times for Imported Matchlock Ashigaru (Base number being 4 down to 2 turns, excluding any other turn bonuses you may already have)
    -Unlocks the Mission (Churches) Chain
    -Unlocks Nanban Quarter (Upgrade to the Nanban Port)
    -Unlocks European Cannons and Nanban Trade Ship

In addition, conversion also turns around any religious public order penalties in predominantly Christian provinces, so if your regions are by-and-large Christian majority, then for public order purposes it is more expedient to convert.

Advantages of building Churches and upgrading them are an improved rate of Chi Arts research compared to their Buddhist counterparts, leading to 25% from Cathedrals. In comparison the Buddhist Chain structures offer only a maximum of 15% faster rate. Additionally, the highest upgrade (Cathedral) offers one more point to happiness than Temples. So building the highest Mission level structure (Cathedral) gives you get a clan-wide bonus of 25% faster rate of Chi Arts research.

The drawbacks of Christianity are rather self-evident:
    -Relations with Buddhist factions take a penalty of 20 points
    -Any regions that have a Buddhist majority will naturally have public order penalties, which will affect the level of tax burden you may have without risking revolts.
    -You can no longer build any more Buddhist temples (existing temples still remain) and, by extension Warrior Monk units, are no longer trainable.
    -There is a chance that the loyalty of your generals may be affected by the conversion.
    - ALL Warrior Monk units you may have trained are disbanded.
    -In addition, conquest of Buddhist regions require more repression due to non-clan religion penalty to public order, thus indirectly limiting the speed of military conquest.

17 (b): So what's the point of converting then?

A: There are only five real reasons you may need to convert: to maintain public order, access to their exclusive units, improved diplomatic relations with any Christian clans, income bonuses and slight faster research rate. Unless these are considerably high priority to your agenda, it is generally a fair and equal tradeoff for conversion.

17 (c): How do I convert?

A: In the Clan Management screen, go to the Family & Councils tab, and to the left of your Daimyo's portrait is a button that allows you to convert. You cannot undo this once you've converted until your Daimyo has passed away.

edited March 2011
    18. Do units have reduced upkeep costs when they suffer any losses?

A: No; unlike previous TW games, the upkeep for units that have suffered losses, and thus have less than full numbers, remain the same. This is a tradeoff to the reduced need to handle logistical matters of replenishing these units; rather than focus on moving units around, you now just need to wait a few turns for them to recover losses before deploying them.

edited March 2011
    19. What are Hero Units?

A: Hero units are essentially a unique unit of very exceptional troops. There are only Three Hero units: Yari, Bow and Sword.
    The Shimazu and Chokosabe, by virtue of having boosted variants of the Katana Samurai and Bow respectively, have a faction-specific Hero unit of the same type, with their faction prefix as usual. These are the Shimazu Sword Hero and the Chokosabe Bow Hero.

Hero units have one of the smallest unit sizes (40 for largest size setting), require the highest upgrade structures for their respective weapon type, and are far more expensive. However they have significantly higher base stats than their regular counterparts, and also boast some unique special abilities in battle mode. Their special status also means you can only get one of each unit.

edited March 2011
    20. How do I get my troops to move across the map without screwing up my formation?

Answer: Keeping your units in formation as you move them across the map is easy once you figure out the little trick.

1) Select all your units (CTRL+A), group them into one big group (G), then pick one of the pre-made battle formations from the preset formations that show up. Bark of the Pine Tree is a good one.

2) Make any adjustments you want, i.e., change the width of your infantry line, move your cav to one flank, whatever.

3) Then select all again (CTRL+A), and ungroup (G) and regroup (G). This locks your guys into your new and improved formation. Then you can move them across the map however you like. If you select all, you can click and drag the formation at its destination to face the way you want. You can even use waypoints, and they will not break formation.

Note that if you do not first use one of the pre-set formations, it seems to give screwy results. You will click and drag and, instead of spinning your fixed formation around, it will change the unit widths and depths. As long as you put your men into one of the formations, and adjust from there, everything should work fine.

Credit for Itwass for providing this answer!

edited March 2011
    21. Can you destroy a building in your city and build something else?

The Encyclopedia covers this: only Ports, Roads, Castles and Province Specialty Buildings cannot be demolished. All other structures may be destroyed to free up a slot.

edited March 2011
    22. It takes forever to master Arts! Is there any way to make it faster?

A: Yes! Buildings, Generals' traits, Dilemma and other events' effects can cumulatively provide bonuses to the rate that Arts are mastered.
    There are two branches of Arts: Bushido (Military) and Chi (Civic). Some structures and traits improve only one of each, and a few improve the rates of both. There are no structures that negatively affect the rate of mastery.
    The following structures gives mastery rate bonuses:
    ALL ARTS-The Intellectual Chain structures provide a small bonus; choosing to build the Library Confucian Academy stream gives a max bonus of 33%. Building the Magistrate Law Stream gives a smaller bonus of 10%, though it offers various other effects for your province.
    CHI ONLY-The Temple Chain structures (Buddhist), among other benefits gives 3%, 5%, 10% then 15%, according to the respective structure tier.
    CHI ONLY-The Mission Chain structures (Christian) gives a higher rate bonus of 5%, 10%, 15%, then 25%.
    BUSHIDO ONLY-Starting with the Stronghold (2nd tier) of the Castle Chain, gives a 1%, 2%, 4%, then 10%.

Traits and retinue of Generals, Dilemma and other events can also give additional rate bonuses. Generals can gain experience traits that give slight mastery rates depending on which branch the bonus is focused on. These are cumulative and can give a very large total bonus.

Additionally, Agents provide bonuses to mastery rate if you attain the skills. Dogthinker writes:
    A level 6 monk can provide a total of +18% research to Chi. A mere level 2 monk can already provide +6%. Given you can have 5 monks, and they cost no upkeep, this is a very significant boost.

2011031900005.png

2011031900006.png

In the images provided above by a contributor, the player's bonus to mastery rate for Bushido is 146%, and the bonus rate for Chi is 93%, reducing the number of turns to research the highest (and longest) Bushido and Chi arts from 18 turns to 9 and 12 turns respectively.

***At the moment it seems that each structure's bonus to mastery rates stack, due to the vary large bonus rate in the images provided and the relatively low number of higher-tiered upgrades in the player's campaign.

edited March 2011
    23. What is Realm Divide?

A: Realm Divide is the point in the Grand Campaign where, after you take Kyoto and become the new rising shogunate, OR after conquering the number of provinces that increases your Fame to Legendary (the max level), many or even all of the other clans not already at war with you will break ties and declare war. Even allied or vassal clans may and eventually will lose relations and become hostile.

Edit: Kurkistan writes that Fame does indeed seem associated with Realm Divide:

Edit: Allies and Vassals made before Realm Divide have been reported to remain friendly and fight your enemies, so long as they remain so.

Edit: There is ongoing debate on what exactly increases Fame. The most common indicator are number of provinces, however difficulty level may also affect how many regions you control before you reach Legendary Fame. Additionally cosntructing Legendary buildings and numbers and types of victories may also affect Fame increase. However no hard evidence can point to whether these factors contribute to Fame.
    Kurkistan wrote: »
    I can confirm that reaching Legendary Fame instigates Realm Divide. I'm not even near Kyoto on my Hard/Hard Takeda campaign and I triggered it.

(b) I really hate Realm Divide (RD). How can I get rid of it?

A: TWCenter has a minor mod that either reduces Realm Divide's effects or eliminates it altogether! Here's the link.

edited March 2011
    24. What are the major special abilities and how to use them effectively?

A: There are several unit abilities that are extremely powerful when used properly.
    -General's Rally: Boosts the morale of all units within the general's command auro for a few seconds. This boost can be upgraded when the general gets promoted. This ability is best used when your see a unit wavering (the unit flag starts flashing white). Triggering the ability then will prevent the unit from routing and causing a chain route.
    -General's Stand and Fight: One of the most powerful abilities in the game. Boosts morale, attack and defence of units within the general's command auro for as long as the mode is enabled. This ability results in the general dismounting (if already on horseback) and then forming a square. The general will also get a huge boost to defence (square formation bonus).
    -General's Inspire: Boosts the fighting abilities of a single targeted unit for a few seconds. This ability is best used on an experienced or special units to increase its damage output. It is particularly powerful on heroes.
    Specific bonuses to Inspire include:
    • +10 bonus to morale
    • +15bonus to accuracy
    • +20 bonus to reload +20
    • +3 bonus to melee attack

-Monk's Warcry: Demoralize up to four units within a certain radius, while reducing their defence and slowing them down. This ability is best used when an enemy unit is wavering (flashing flag) to cause a chain route. Using this ability on steady troops is not advisable as the effect wears off quickly.
    -Archer's Fire Arrows: Reduces the morale of targeted unit. This ability is best used when the targeted enemy unit is wavering (flashing flag) to cause a chain route. Using this ability on steady troops is not advisable as the effect wears off quickly. The fire arrows have increased damage compared to regular ammo.
    -Archer's Whistling Arrows: Reduces the morale of all units under the trajectory of the arrows including friendly units. This ability is best used against wavering units (flashing flag) to cause a chain route. Using this ability on steady troops is not advisable as the effect wears off quickly. The fire Whistling Arrows don't have increased damage.
    -Yari's Spear Wall: Increases frontal attack and defence and creates a tight slow formation. This ability is intended for frontal attack only and is vulnerable to flanking and ranged weapons.
    -Banzai: Increases the speed, charge and attack of sword infantry while rendering the unit unbreakable. This is best use when charging a strong point in the enemy's defence to benefit from the increased charge and attack.

Thanks to Dark Side for providing this answer!

edited March 2011
    25. What is the end date for the game?

A: The end date for Long and Domination Campaigns is 1600. The end date for the short campaign is 1580 for the Shimazu and Date clans, and 1575 for the remaining clans. Even if the end date is reached you can keep playing the game indefinitely, but in order to get the Victory video you need to accomplish all of the campaign's objective by the end date.

edited March 2011
    26. It seems that some structures require certain materials before constructing. Where can I get those?

Those materials are rare and spread across Japan. Below is a link to a thread that displays the campaign map with indications of where to find, among other things, certain materials you may require for construction.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430337

In addition to accessing high-tier buildings, these resources also aid your income.

edited March 2011
    27. How do I get Warrior Monks/Heroes/Guards/Geisha?

A: Monks require that your clan's official religion is Shinto/Buddhism. Then you have to build a monastary in the intended region and either an archery dojo (Bow Monks) or a naginata dojo (Naginata Monks). Monks have better morale than Samurai but little armor. Bow Monks have better accuracy than Bow Samurai. Naginata Monks have better attack and defense than Naginata Samurai but have access to Warcry, a demoralizing active ability.

Heroes/Guards are accessed through the last Dojo in each tree (Archery, Katana, Spear, Stables, Monastery). You can have a maximum of one hero unit of each type.

Geisha is an specialized assassin that can be accessed after building the last building in the Ninja tree.

edited March 2011
    28. Can Total War: Shogun 2 run on Apple's Mac computers?

A: According to this thread,: YES! YOu only requrie the following:
    -An Apple Macintosh computer with Windows Bootcamp loaded
    -VALVe's Steam
    -Total War: Shogun 2
    ***The Mac, as usual, requires technical specifications that can meet the minimum requirements to play the game.

edited March 2011
    29. What are the minimum system requirements for Total War: Shogun 2?

A: Taken from Steam's page on the game:
    Minimum:
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor , or AMD equivalent (with SSE2)
    Memory: 1GB RAM (XP), 2GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
    Graphics: 256 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card (shader model 3)
    DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 20GB free hard disk space
    Screen Resolution: 1024x768
    Recommended:
    Processor: 2nd Generation Intel⪚ Core™i5 processor (or greater), or AMD equivalent
    Memory: 2GB RAM (XP), 4GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series graphics cards or equivalent DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
    Hard Drive: 20GB free hard disk space
    Screen Resolution: 1280x1024

edited March 2011
    30. How do I become Shogun?

A: To become Shogun, you must take over Kyoto, the seat of the Shogunate. This province is held by the Ashikaga, the current reigning shogunate. Once you've taken Kyoto and held the city for four turns, you will be declared Shogun.

Spraetter in this post states the following as the specific clan benefits for becoming Shogun:
    +2% clan-wide tax bonus
    +1 morale for all units
    +1 honour for your Daimyo
    The ability to recruit the Great Guard cavalry unit (you get one for free)
    The ability to build the Nihon Maru flagship naval unit (you get one for free)

There are no other requirements to becoming Shogun, however the smaller your domain, the more problematic the ensuing wars will become. Do not rush to power!

Note that becoming Shogun will almost certainly cause immediate animosity from other clans, especially allies of the Ashikaga, neutral clans and hostile/ enemy clans. Be prepared for a continuous fight to secure your other victory objectives from then on!

edited March 2011
    31. What are Naginata Samurai's uses?

A: The Naginata are meant to be a more versatile, if less specialized, compromise between Yari and Katana Samurai; whereas the Yari excel against cavalry but weak against sword units, and Katana are excellent against infantry but weak against cavalry, the Naginata serve to be effective against both, though possess the higher unit-specific bonuses of each. Below is a table comparing the three units:

Stat differences between Naginata Samurai, (Yari Samurai), and [Katana Samurai]
    Cost: 750 (700) [750]
    Upkeep: 150 (150) [150]
    Melee Attack: 9 (6) [12]
    Charge Bonus: 12 (15) [15]
    Bonus vs. Cavalry: 15 (25) [0]
    Melee Defence: 6 (8) [4]
    Armour: 9 (5) [5]
    Morale: All three have 10
    Speed: All three have 4
    Turns to produce without bonuses: All three require 2 turns
    Prerequisites: Naginata Dojo* (Yari Drill Yard) [Sword School]
    *The Naginata Dojo is the next upgrade from the Yari Drill Yard

From comparing statistics, the Naginata Samurai possess a well-balanced set compared to the Yari and Katana Samurai. Their superior stats are their higher Armour;
    They favour equally or in-between in terms of Melee Attack, Morale, Speed, Melee Defence, Bonus vs. Cavalry;
    Their drawbacks are less Charge Bonus than both, expensive upkeep cost as Katana Samurai, and the requirement to upgrade a Yari Drill Yard to produce them.

In summary, the Naginata are most useful for their superior Armour, which may make up for their lower stats. They are therefore more resilient in battle, especially against units like Ashigaru and Cavalry and engaged Missile units. The Naginata are the ideal units for a heavy infantry role. Due to their high armour, they are resilient to Bow Ashigaru's missile attacks, and are most suited for leading the charge into castles.

edited March 2011
    32. What are the uses of No-Dachi Samurai?

A: Short answer, the No-Dachi Samurai serve to be the opposite of the Naginata Samurai; whereas the Naginata are effective for "tanking", absorbing attacking with their higher armour, the Do-Dachi Samurai are high in attack and poor in defence.

Long answer: below is a table comparison between the base stats of Naginata Samurai, (No-Dachi Samurai) [Katana Samurai]

Cost: 750 (800) [750]
    Upkeep: 150 (150) [150]
    Melee Attack: 9 (14) [12]
    Charge Bonus: 12 (28) [15]
    Bonus vs. Cavalry: 15 (0) [0]
    Melee Defence: 6 (1) [4]
    Armour: 9 (2) [5]
    Morale: All three have 10
    Speed: All three have 4
    Turns to produce without bonuses: All three require 2 turns
    Prerequisites: Naginata Dojo (Yari Drill Yard) [No-Dachi Dojo]*
    *The No-Dachi Dojo is the next upgrade to the Sword School

So from looking at the base stats alone, the No-Dachi are shock troops with very high damage but very low armour. This makes them the perfect unit to charge into an already-engaged enemy during a flanking or rear attack. Alongside their very low armour, they also favour poorly against cavalry.

Uses of the No-Dachi Samurai, then, are charging into melee, especially from the sides and rear. Never use them against cavalry or for a direct charge against missile units.

edited March 2011
    33. There are so many units, how do I know which one's good for which?

A: Below is a comparison between the Samurai melee unit types:

Defensive: Naginata> Yari> Katana> No-Dachi
    Attack: No-Dachi> Sword> Naginata> Yari
    Cavalry: Yari> Naginata> Katana> No-Dachi
    Charge: No-Dachi> Yari= Katana> Naginata
    Yari Samurai, Yari Ashigaru and Naginata Samurai are ideal for defensive roles as well as against cavalry;
    Katana and No-Dachi Samurai are great for attacking infantry.

Yari and Bow Ashigaru are suitable for Cavalry/Defence and Missile roles respectively, but favour very poorly against infantry in melee. Their stats in general are inferior to Samurai equivalents, and so should best be used in their specialized roles lest they get easily killed. This is compensated by their short training time and larger numbers per unit. Remember however that numbers don't always win battles, though in the right circumstances you may just need larger numbers of troops, however inferior they are to the enemy.

edited March 2011
    34. What are Samurai Retainers and Onna Bushi?

A: These units are spawned castle defences: whenever your castle is under siege, any existing castle defences would be supplemented with these units, depending on what level your Castle has been upgraded to.

The Samurai Retainers are simply improved Katana Samurai: they are superior in Melee Defence and Attack, and identical stats in all others. However their unit size is smaller in numbers: the same as Hero units. Use these units the same as Katana Samurai.

Onna Bushi are units spawned if the besieged Castle has been upgrade to the second last to last tier of the Chain: The Fort, Stronghold and Fortress do not spawn Onna Bushi. These units not only fill the spawned defensive role of the Naginata Samurai, but they possess superior stats in many areas even compared with most other units. The Onna Bushi are superior in Melee Attack (even better than No-Dachi!) Second only to the No-Dachi in Charge Bonus, good Melee Defence and Amour. Like the Naginata Samurai they also possess some bonus against Cavalry, though Yari units are preferable in this role.

edited March 2011
    35. Which Cavalry units are faster/ lighter and suitable for chasing down routing units?

Light and Yari Cavalry have Speed rating of 12, whereas all other Cavalry units have 10.

edited March 2011
    36. I've suffered losses to my fleet. How do I replenish?

A: Replenishment of fleets require them to be in port- any port- and the funds necessary for the cost of repairs. When the fleet is in port, select the fleet and the Repair button to the left side of the unit cards, under Scupper (disband), can be found. Regardless of the cost and size of the fleet, repairs take one turn.