Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Official Shogun2, RotS, and FotS FAQ Thread

Comments

• KurkistanKurkistan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 293
    edited March 2011
    daelin4 wrote: »
    23. What is Realm Divide?

A: Realm Divide is the phenomenon where, after you take Kyoto and become the new rising shogunate, many or even all of the other clans not already at war with you will break ties and declare war. Even allied or vassal clans may and eventually will lose relations and become hostile. Realm Divide is also associated with your clan's Fame, with some speculation that maximum Fame also instigates Realm Divide.

I can confirm that reaching Legendary Fame instigates Realm Divide. I'm not even near Kyoto on my Hard/Hard Takeda campaign and I triggered it.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,447
    edited March 2011
    37. I noticed some icons at the top left corner of a unit card in Recruitment Tab. What are they?

A: These are upgrades the units possess when they are recruited. There are three levels: Improved (Bronze), Superior (Silver) and Exceptional (Gold). There are Five upgrades:
    -Accuracy (Missile units only)
    -Charge
    -Armour
    -Melee Attack
    -Morale
    Unlike previous TW titles, there are multiple levels of bonuses, thus Improved Accuracy can mean between 1-2 additional points.
    Refer to the Encyclopedia for what structures give these bonuses. Higher-tiered training facilities also give some upgrades as well, along with other benefits such as reduced turn times.

Note: the bonus icons on unit cards only show one, not multiple; that is, they won't show other bonuses you may have with those units. You can have and Armoury (+2 armour), Master Weaponsmith (+4 Melee attack) and Legendary Cavalry Dojo (+5 Charge) and train a Yari Cavalry with bonuses to all three areas, but you will only see one icon. This does not imply that they did not gain the benefits: hover your cursor over the unit you and the black detail panel will appeal; the green bars show all the bonuses in total.

2011032000010.jpg

In the image above, the Bow Samurai unit shows improved statistics in nearly all fields, yet only shows the Accuracy icon (Exceptional; Gold). The icon reflects the highest statistic that has been improved, and thus des not represent all improvements.

Edit: A bonus of up to +5 gives the Improved (Bronze) icon; +15 gives the superior (Silver) icon.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited March 2011
    38. What's the difference between the Armour and Defence Skill stats?

A: Jack Lusted of CA has stated that Armour affects both melee as well as missile defence, but did not elaborate on Defence Skill. Presumably, Defence Skill deals only with melee attacks, while Armour deals with both missile and melee.

The cited post is fond here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=437418

edited March 2011
    39. My agents keeping failing their missions. How can I make them level up?

A: They actually still gain experience when they fail missions. The experience very likely differ between success and failure, but it is possible for agents to still gain experience even when they fail to, say, subvert an army.

2011032300008.jpg

In the above screenshot, this ninja has just gained the highest level, complete with face mask. His last mission, subverting an army, was a failure, as shown by the events log.

edited March 2011
    40. How do I get Imported Matchlock Ashigaru, how do I get Matchlock Ashigaru and Matchlock Samurai?

A: You can only train Imported Matchlocks from provinces with the Nanban Trade Post, and they are quite expensive (Base cost of 900), and also take four turns to recruit. However most factions get Nanban offers very early in the game, allowing the faction to deploy a powerful addition to the battlefield. Moreover, Imported Matchlock Ashigaru do NOT require conversion to Christianity, though by accepting a Nanban Trade Port the respective province will start converting the population.

(Regular) Matchlock Ashigaru are cheaper (cost is 300), take only one turn, and like most Ashigaru units, require only the Castle for training. However, two important things to note: Matchlock Ashigaru have slightly poorer Accuracy and Reload Skill stats than their Imported counterparts, and also require the following Arts to be mastered before they can be unlocked, including their base turn time:
    Bushido- 2 turns
    Strategy of Defence- 3 turns
    Heaven and Earth- 7 turns
    The Five Elements- 12 turns
    Attack by Fire- 8 turns
    Gun Master- 18 turns

Giving a total of 50 turns, barring mastery bonuses and the need to master other arts. In such case it is important to consider the need to expend the time just to unlock the ability to train a great number of cheaper Matchlock infantry quickly. Remember that many other important things, such as farms and other unlocks, require mastery as well.

(b) What about Matchlock Samurai?

A: Like the Yari and Bow counterparts, Matchlock Samurai are statistically superior to Matchlock Ashigaru and comparatively more resilient in the undesired event of a melee engagement. In addition to the requirement for Gun Mastery, you need to construct a Gunsmith, the second upgrade of the Siege Engineer's Workshop. In addition to Fire By Rank, the Matchlock Samurai also have the ability to temporarily increase their rate of fire, and deploy bamboo walls for protection from enemy missiles and impedes enemy charges.

(c) So should I go for Matchlock Ashigaru and Samurai?

A: That entirely depends on your play style, what faction you are and what arts you need mastered. First off, consider whether you'd use them with enough frequency to justify the enormous time to research the unlocks, and whether you'd have the appropriate accompanying forces to protect them and the facilities. A player who heavily relies on Matchlock Ashigaru will find the time well spent, since one can train them in any province.

(d) Do Matchlock Samurai and Warrior Monks have better range?

A: No. Unlike their Bow counterparts, all Matchlock Infantry units have Range statistic of 100. This puts them at a disadvantage against all Bow units who have a range of 150; Warrior Monk archers have 175, and the Bow Hero unit have a range of 200.

edited March 2011
    41. My units seem to be "losing" experience, what's going on?

A: It seems that Shogun2's replenishment feature reduces experience due to replacements. The only real way to preserve chevrons, then, are to commit your troops to battles where they suffer very little casualties, such as auto-resolving against very small armies. It is still very possible to preserve your units' chevrons, though the conditions are largely limited to fighting severely disadvantaged enemies.

edited March 2011
    42. What are Retainers?

A: These are people and items that exist alongside Traits and provide similar bonuses to generals and agents. Every other level that your general gains will present two retainers to choose that give particular bonuses- some are situational, such as pirate-associated retainers when a general has won a naval battle. Retainers are often the source of unique and peculiar bonuses to your forces, such as additional honour and increase to effectiveness/range of abilities, to additional attack or defense to certain unit types.

Historically retinue were people that accompanied (were "retained" by) a particular person, such as a king or important noble, including Jesters, friends, bodyguards, and significant persons as part of an entourage. Handmaidens and knights (and thus samurai) were very often retainers to their lord or lady.

Also to note: Retinue is different from the game's Retainers, who are essentially associates of a clan without any blood relations. Thus, Generals are retainers to the clan.

A partially constructed list by chronobomb can be found here:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/12420-Chronobomb-s-Guide-to-Retainers

edited March 2011
    43. What are the benefits of arranging a marriage between your own and another clan?

A: For starters, the Arrange Marriage option in Diplomacy requires unmarried adult daughters; choosing the Arrange Marriage option then asks you to either offer a daughter to marry (provided the other party has unmarried sons) or vice versa where you demand a daughter for your son's marriage. One party that lacks an unmarried son or daughter greys out the option. If your diplomacy is successful the daughter of whichever clan then leaves her respective family and becomes the wife and eventually mother of the other clan's members.
    The diplomatic benefits are: a bonus 100 relations with the respective clan in the event that you succeed in gaining a marriage between you own or their daughter. However, note that other clans that happen to be hostile with the clan you married into/from will suffer 40 points in relations with you. So bear in mind who you marry with, lest other clans look down on you for consorting with their enemies.

(b) eaglekelly84 asks: Will marriage prevent the clan from turning against you after realm divide?

A: Directly, no; marriage with that clan does not magically make them less inclined to hating you. Indirectly, however, yes since the marriage gives you a considerable bonus in diplomacy, it is thus possible to negate the drop in relations due to realm divide.

edited March 2011
    44. What penalties would I gain if I broke alliance with a clan that asked for my help?

A: Your daimyo loses honour by 1 point each time an alliance is broken, and thus each time the clan loses relations points by 25 with other clans. By extension this may also affect your generals' loyalty and happiness among your provinces.

(b) What about if two allies attacked eachother?

A: You won't lose honour, but the respective clan will apply the same penalty to your in diplomatic relations, whislt the others will gain a boost in honouring treaties.

edited March 2011
    45. The enemy has a fleet in their port. How do I attack it?

A: You can't. There currently is no way you can force an enemy fleet out of their port.

(b) Holy.Death asks: Will seizing the province with said port and fleet force them to withdraw from there and leave the enemy fleet vulnerable to attack?

A: Yes, When you take over a province, the enemy fleet stationed in that port will leave and thus can be attacked. I have personally encountered this.

edited March 2011
    46. How do I upgrade my existing units?

A: You cannot retrain units you've already recruited. Only effects from generals, arts mastery and clan events and so forth can affect existing units.

edited March 2011
    47. How do characters' experience work?

A: The following shows how experience is attained for AGENTS:

-If an agent "critically" succeeds in a mission (Assassinates/Sabotages/Subverts for Ninjas, Executes for Metsuke or Converts/Demoralize/Incites Riots for Monks/Missionaries, and Assassinates for Geishas), they get 15 points (on Normal Difficulty).
    -If an agent "partially" succeeds (A Ninja only Wounds, the Metsuke only Apprehends, and Monks/Missionaries only perplex target agents) they still receive 15 experience points.
    -"Failed" missions (Failed Sabotage, Subversion, or Convert attempts) Gives 3 points. Detection for Ninjas is also highly likely, if not already detected prior to taking agent actions.
    -Agents assigned to armies or towns ("passive" missions) gain one point per turn. Agents must remain in towns in order to accrue points per turn: scouting the field or converting provinces by hanging out in the countryside do not count.
    -Agents that get caught and executed get zero experience, on account of being killed.

Note: The % difficulty of the mission is not dependent on the amount of experience gained: any successful mission will always give 15 points, whether or not the mission's success chance or its target is high/low. In other words, successfully sabotaging a building with 95% success rate gives just as much experience points as killing a Daimyo with 11% success rate. Bearing such in mind, reserve the more difficult missions for your more higher-levelled agents as they will have a better chance of succeeding. Relegate the most easiest missions for the lowest-level agents, as it's a waste to use a highly skilled agent to perform the task of subverting a target.

edited March 2011
    48. What does Character Conversion actually do?

A: The Missionary or Monk's Character Conversion is essentially the same as the Metuke's Apprehend and the Ninja's Assassination. Partial success means they are temporarily taken out of the game and will respawn in the respective faction's stronghold (normally this is the home province). Complete success means the targets are "dead" in the game. In other words, Character Conversion are just another way of "killing" targets without Ninjas. Conversion is not converting the agent to your faction, so you will never gain any agents, only that the enemy clan loses one until they train another.

edited April 2011
    49. Where are the Naginata Warrior Monk Cavalry?

A: With the release of the Ikko Ikki DLC, the Naginata Warrior Monk Cavalry are trainable if the player is the Ikko Ikki faction, and there is a settlement with both a Stables and Naginata Dojo constructed.

edited April 2011
    50. Do my vassal clans made after Realm Divide suffer the same effects as those made before?

A: Personal experience indicates NO at least on Easy difficulty. All vassal clans I have made after Realm Divide remained loyal, and even become quite large as they fought enemies. No relations drop occurred. Vassals made before the divide also seem to remain loyal throughout; however in one instance I broke off relations with a vassal after I denied helping them; they in turn declared war on me the next instant. This seems to indicate that vassalage prevents Real Divide from applying to that clan. Allies however remain affected by Realm Divide and are liable to betraying you.

edited April 2011
    51. My ships take whole turns just to embark/disembark armies and agents! Is there way to do this faster?

A: In order to pull off multiple actions for a fleet, they need to be in a port. Armies and agents, depending on circumstances, may or may not move after disembarking: they seem to require some movement points for the process. Doing this outside a port takes an entire turn for a single action. It seems this gives landing armies a strategic dimension.

Credit goes to Holy.Death for this information!

edited April 2011
    52. How does the arts mastery rate bonus work?

A: There has been some calculation attempts with reports stating that 100% reduces turns by one half, whereas others have reported that the effect is as little as 1 turn per 100%. The "base" mastery rate actually starts off with a bonus of 25% at the start of a campaign, and with this, the latest arts level like Shih and Epic Architecture require 18 turns. It seems that the way arts bonus works is through certain "thresholds" where reaching a certain percentage, the number of turns is reduced; the more turns however require increasingly more rate bonus. After doing some detective work, it seems this is the case.

The following are the "default" (25%) turns required for completion, according to "tier".
    Bushido 2
    Strategy of Attack and Defence: 3
    Way of Spear, Bow, Sword 6; Way of Sea 4
    Form and Heaven & Earth: 7
    Spear/Bow/Sword Expertise and Attack by Fire 8; Naval Expertise 7
    Five Elements, Horse Mastery 12
    Sojutsu, Gunpowder Kyujutsu and Kenjutsu Mastery 18; Mastery of the Waves 11
    Shih 18

Way of Chi 2
    Zen, Todofuken 3
    Essence of Spirit, Noh, Secret Police, Equal Fields 6; School of Shinobi 4
    Tea Ceremony, Tax Reform 7
    Scholarship, Sumo Tournament, Chonindo 15; Ninjutsu Mastery 16
    Calligraphy, Traditional Building 12
    Neo Confucianism, Kinza Mint 20; Sword Hunt 16
    Epic Architecture 18

Looking back on some old savegames, the changes to Epic Architecture's 18 turns is changed to
    11 with a bonus rate of 117%
    9 with 170%
    6 with 313%
    5 with 351%.

After some math calculation it seems, at least with an 18 turn arts, the turns are reduced to 1 every +12.5%. When the turn number reaches down to 12 however, the percentage needed to reduce a turn doubles up to 25%, until it reaches 8 turns, where it doubles again to every 50%. So at least with Epic Architecture (and presumably all arts with base number of 18 turns), the threshold of mastery bonus rate is 12.5% until it reaches 100%, where the next threshold is 25 until it reaches 200, which changes to 50. Here's the calculation I came up with:
    18 remains at 18 with +25%
    18 is 17 with +37.5%
    16 with +50%
    15 with +62.5%
    14 with +75%
    13 with +87.5%
    12 with +100%
    11 with +125%
    10 with +150%
    9 with +175%
    8 with +200%
    7 with +250%
    6 with +300%
    5 with +350%

This seems to change according to the number of default turns. For example, let's do Ninjutsu Mastery's rate- It is 16 turns by default (25%) but changes to 5 if its 351%. Applying a similar formula, we can surmise that:
    16 remains 16 with 25%
    15 with 37.5
    14 with 50
    13 with 75
    12 with 100
    11 with 125
    10 with 150
    9 with 175
    8 with 200
    7 with 250
    6 with 300
    5 with 400

This seems to correspond with the old savegames' changed turn requirement by the bonus rates accumulated. So from here we can theorize that mastery rate bonuses will reduce turns within specific thresholds, depending on how high the default turn number is. These threshold seem to be in intervals of 12.5, 25, 37.5, 50, 75, 100, then 200%. For an arts that requires 18 turns, reaching 175% reduces it by half. With a 16 turn default however, the threshold of bonus rate to reduce it by half is increased 200%- in other words, 18 turns reduced to 9 if you have 175% bonus, and 16 reduced to 8 if you have 200%. With this formula we can hypothesize that the lower the default turns, the more bonus you need to reduce turns.

edited April 2011
    53. I found a website that emulates the Encyclopedia. Why does it contradict some of the contents here?

A: First off, this particular website, whose name and address is irrelevant, is a breach of copyright, and thus violate the forum rules and will be deleted on sight. Secondly, this leaked version of the encyclopedia is also outdated and the information is both incomplete as well as incorrect, so it is not a reliable source anyways. Please report any sightings of a online website that emulates the Encyclopedia; it is copyright infringement and contains invalid information. Any Shogun2 player can access the REAL in-game Encyclopedia offline through FAQ #2.

edited April 2011
    54. I keep getting this "Dishonouring Treaties" trait. What is that?

A: This trait occurs if either the player or the other clan has violated an agreement made beforehand. This includes declaring war on an enemy after said agreements were formally broken within a certain period of time. So even though you may have cancelled treaties before you declared war, you still may get the penalty due to not waiting for this unspecified time to expire. Note that this trait ONLY affects diplomatic relations between yourself and the respective clan, and thus does not affect your Daimyo's honour.

Enigma has made a thread about this here.

edited April 2011
    55. What are the yellow stars beside the characters and what do they represent?

A: Unlike previous TW games stars serve two purposes, depending on their colour: "Base" rank, marked as yellow stars, confer the agents' base stats, meaning that the levelling up of agents naturally makes them more proficient at missions. "Level" rank, marked as green stars, are those bonus to the respective abilities reflected in your choice of retainers and skilltree points used. Thus, a Level 6 (maxed level) Ninja that has selected ONLY the Assassination traits will only show Assassination bonuses, since no other bonuses were chosen. The "base" stats, in this case being 6, remains the same with all other abilities, reflecting the Ninja's proficiency at other abilities on top of his assassination specialization.

The specific details regarding Generals' command stars and their effects remain debatable. Only one concrete information provided by CA reveals that command stars grant morale bonuses, both by the general being alive and the general being in proximity to units.

56. Does a Metsuke still counterspy/detect enemy agents in the region if he is in the regions settlement?

A: No, these are "passive missions" and they lose their effect once the agent leaves the settlement. However passive abilities that are inherent to agents, like Metsuke repression and Monk/Missionary conversion and Ninja's Spy Network, still remain when they are in the province.

57. What is a Spy network and what does it do?

A: This is the Ninja's passive mission for settlements, and basically extends visual sight range of the settlement the agent works in. According to the Encyclopedia this also gives a repression bonus as well as additional protection against enemy agent actions. Like other passive missions the Ninja in question gains 1 experience point per turn.

58. Is it possible to change what retainers are available? Are we limited to the 2 options we are given? Do they randomize the next turn if we dont pick one? is it possible to switch them to another character?

A: Short answer No. The available retinue do not change over the turns nor when you gain another level, and you cannot exchange them between characters.

Thanks to Siven80 for asking these questions!

edited April 2011
    59. What are some basic tips for diplomacy?

A: Holy.Death has a thread dedicated to a guide on diplomacy, and has given a summarized version of it here:

Being a vassal:
    - You cannot declare wars on anyone you want to.
    - You can declare war only against enemies of your masters.
    - You'll lose money as tribute to your lord's clan.

Making peace:
    - Offer money (single payment if enough or as tribute).
    - Try giving hostages to compensate for lack of money. Not that premature ending to any agreements mean the hostages will die.
    - Marriages between clans give a great boost to relations.
    - Military alliance gives you huge boost to relations as well as give you a the option to ask them for aid when you declare war on another clan. Note that this also means your ally may call upon you to assist them, where declining will incur a penalty to relations.

Tips for declaring war:
    - Avoid attacking in the first place (defender can call out his allies for help and they'll listen).
    - Let yourself be attacked (you can even request help from your allies if needed).
    - Try to attack those who have no allies to assist them, lest they draw unexpected additional enemies.

When to stop:
    - Cease fighting when having wars on multiple fronts (either finish off one enemy or sign peace treaty if impossible and then go to next war or defend yourself against another threat).

Tips on maintaining relations:
    - Detected agents that perform actions against a clan will incur diplomatic penalties
    - Seizing multiple provinces too fast gives you the Territorial Expansion penalty
    - Looting captured settlements damages your Daimyo's honour, which in turn penalizes diplomatic relations. Conversely, maintaining high honour gives a global diplomacy bonus.
    - Clan religion affects relations, and so clans with a different region have an inherent diplomatic penalty.
    - Declare war on the enemies of your allies.
    -Gifting gold gives the "Gift Appreciated" bonus which can be as high as 100 additional points, excellent for offsetting any penalties that exist.

There is also a guide on Diplomatic Effects by Dribbs that can be found here.

edited April 2011
    60. Do agents' effects in towns and armies stack?

A: Yes. Placing multiple Metsuke in a single settlement, for example, increases the repression as well as the income bonus.

edited April 2011
    61. What are Events, Clan Effects and Dilemmas?

A: Events are a broad category that includes Clan Effects and Dilemmas; all Dilemmas and Clan Effects come from Events. Events can also include Tsunamis and Earthquakes, notifications such as introduction of Christianity from building certain structures, Missions Issued, Expired/Success/Failed, and births in your clan's bloodline.

Clan Effects are global bonuses applied to your clan, such as recruitment discounts, construction discounts, bonus experience points to any recruited units and so forth. They can also be penalties such as public order or trade/tax income.

Dilemmas are essentially Events where you may choose between two options of Clan Effects. This can include accepting/refusing offers of help for a price, to ordering an unworthy general to commit seppuku (ritual suicide) or spare his life. Take care to read carefully what the options are, as they can last several turns. Some Dilemma Events give immediate Effects based on your choice, but may also carry a chance to inflicting further effects in the next immediate turns as a reaction, so consider the future consequences for decisions.

The following post is a compiled list of Events, Effects and Dilemmas.

edited April 2011
    Here is an in-progress list of Events

The Black Ship: A Black Ship Galleon spawns on the western side of the map near North or South Kyushu; it is a single Galleon armed with cannons and gunners and is a powerful asset to any clan that manages to capture it. This ship does not attack any fleets, but will be listed At War.
    Legendary Accomplishments: A notification that tells you have finished constriction of a top-tiered structure; this gives the appropriate clan-wide bonus effect as well, which is exclusive to your clan.
    Winter Attrition: any time you have armies left in enemy territory over the Winter season.
    Imperial Recognition: When your Fame level has increased to Noted
    National Renown: When your Fame level has increased to Prominent
    Shogun's Ire: When your Fame level has increased to Acclaimed
    Realm Divide: When your Fame level has reached Legendary. Effect Realm Divide
    Christianity: This appears when you finish your first Nanban Trade Port; this building will begin converting your province to Christianity, which may cause some religion problems.
    Mission Issued: United We Stand: Complete this to achieve the War Fervour effect
    Mission Issued: Daimyo /General /Agent Assassin: Assassinate respective character to achieve Clandestine Practices
    Mission Issued: Insurgency: Crush rebellion in respective province in 3 turns: Effect Iron Fist
    Mission Issued: Break Blockade to specified port in 8 turns: Effect Rule of the Waves
    Mission Issued: Balance of Strength: Recruit Ashigaru unit under 10 turns: Effect Superior Ashigaru AND free Yari Ashigaru
    Clan Adopts Christianity: Whenever any certain clan adopts a religion.
    Season events: Videos of respective season, accompanied with poem.
    Samurai Master: Effect Exceptional Samurai
    Unrest/Rebellion: Whenever a province's happiness has dipped into red over one turn; Unrest is a warning, while Rebellion spawns either a clan rebel army or a non-denominational rebel army. There can also be Ikko Ikki Revolt events.
    Nanban Quarter: this notifies that you have unlocked the ability to build the Nanban Quarter, after converting to Christianity.
    Efforts of Others: Another clan has began construction of a unique structure, including Legendary dojos. Sabotage their structures to stall them!
    Missed Opportunity: Another clan has manged to constructed a legendary building before you, losing the opportunity to gain a clan-wide bonus.
    Tsunami: Effect following penalties: -2 happiness in affected province; -50% wealth in province capital; +50% ship recruit costs; -50% growth from ports: 2 turns

edited April 2011
    List of Dilemmas:

Imperial New Year: Send tribute (-2000 money; Effect Old Ways)) OR Refuse Tribute (No Effects)
    Urban Migration: Encourage Migration (Effect Prosperity) OR Prevent Migration (Effect Agrarian Toil)* This may give an income penalty based on which you choose
    Hachiman's Flock: Warrior's Blessing (Effect War Fervour) OR Fisherman's Blessing (Effect Abundant Catch)
    Ambitious Traders: Foreign Priority (Effect Foreign Prosperity) OR Domestic Priority (Effect Thriving Markets)
    The Wako Thread: Deal with Pirates ( -2000 money, Effect Foreign Prosperity) OR Ignore (No Effects)
    Fit For Command: Enlist/Promote General/Captain (-1000 money, gain new general) OR Ignore (No Effects)
    Auxiliary Supplies: Effect Invest Supplies (-2000 money, Effect recruit discount) OR Ignore (No Effects)* This may also give the Call to Arms effect as well.
    Disgruntled Vassal: Acknowledge Him (-1000 money) OR Execute! (general dies or rebels)
    Bountiful Harvest: Effect Grateful Populace OR Stockpile: Effect Plenty
    Jizamurai: Effect Agrarian Toil OR Call to Arms
    Rumours of Treason: Order Seppuku (+1 Daimyo honour, lose general) OR Chance for Redemption (general lives, Effect Peer Contempt)
    Heralding the Spring: Reward their Efforts (Effect Inspired Endeavours) OR Push them Harder (Effect Taskmaster)
    Nanban Firearms Expert: Accept (Effect Crack Gunmen, -2500 money) OR Refuse (No Effects)
    The Misfortune of Others: Distribute Aid (Daimyo honour +1, -2500 money) OR Refuse (No Effects)

edited April 2011
    Here is an in-progress list of the actual Effects:

Foreign Prosperity: 25% goods from trade ports and +50% town growth from ports: 8 turns
    Thriving Markets
    War Fervour: +2 Morale for all units, 4 turns
    Abundant Catch: +50% growth from ports, 4 turns
    Old Ways: Clan-Wide happiness and income bonus: 4 turns
    Prosperity: +10 per turn growth across all provinces: 4 turns
    Master Horse Breeders: -25% discount to cavalry recruiting: 8 turns
    Plenty: +25% wealth generated by all farms, provides 5 food: 8 turns
    Call to Arms: +1 Recruitment slots across all provinces: 8 turns
    Peer Contempt: -50 diplomatic relations: 8 turns
    Merchant Class Discontent: -15% trade income (tariffs only) penalty: 4 turns
    Exceptional Samurai: +2 experience to all samurai recruits: 8 turns
    Master Shipwrights: 25% discount cost to all ships: 8 turns
    Inspired Endeavours: clan-wide +25% wealth generated by all buildings : 4 turns
    Vigilance: Unspecified military bonus: 6 turns
    Aggressive Ardour: +2 Melee attack for all units: 4 turns
    Able Sailors: +2 experience for all ships built: 8 turns
    Dreaded Force: Morale penalty on enemy units: 4 turns
    Abundant Catch (province): Specific province gains 100% per turn growth from ports: 4 turns
    Invest Supplies (-2000, clan-wide -25% recruitment cost of all land units
    Clandestine Practices: +10% success chance for ninja actions: 8 turns
    Taskmaster: clan-wide -25% construction time: 6 turns
    Master Builders: clan-wide -25% construction discount
    Iron Fist: clan-wide +4 repression: 8 turns
    Significant Advances: +50% Arts mastery rate: 8 turns
    Rule the Waves: +2 Morale to all ships: 6 turns
    Superior Ashigaru: +2 experience for ashigaru recruits: 6 turns
    Expert Horsemanship: +2 experience for cavalry recruits: 10 turns
    Crack Gunmen: +2 experience for matchlock units: 10 turns

edited April 2011
    62. How can I stop routing enemy ships?

A: The best way is simple to board with with any unit, even bow kobaya, because when the enemy ship is fleeing (white bar over its banner) any boarding action from any kind of ship will automatically force an enemy ship to surrender.

Credit for Holy.Death for providing this information!

edited April 2011
    63. What is Loyalty/Honour and how do I raise it?

A: Loyalty is a rating for your Generals, and can be influenced by numerous game features. Loyalty's effects are:
    -the likelihood of a general being bribed by enemy Metsuke; the higher loyalty, the lower chance
    -likelihood of defecting to an enemy clan when you order him to attackl this occurs only on low (one rank) loyalty, and seems to be random chance when activated

Loyalty can be raised through a large number of ways:
    -Winning battles
    -Arts, generals' traits and retinue bonuses
    -Daimyo's honour
    -Presence of Metsuke in the town/army the general is stationed in
    -Assigned commissions or marriage within the clan

There are also penalties to loyalty as well:
    -Low Daimyo honour does not give an actual penalty, but it leaves your generals with very low base lvel of loyalty; bonuses from elsewhere would be needed to maintain sufficient loyalty
    -Delusions of Grandeur, which occurs if the general has won a very large number of battles
    -Being stripped of commission, as well as the commission in question being given to subordinates (stripping a commission from a general with two or more stars and giving said commission to a general less stars)
    -Becoming disinherited if the general was the designated heir

(b) What about Honour?

A: Honour is basically the Daimyo equivalent to Loyalty; if a general becomes Daimyo, his respective loyalty translates to honour points. Hence, an heir with high loyalty would transfer high honour once he becomes Daimyo. Like loyalty honour can be gained by the Daimyo through battles, peacefully occupying settlements rather than looting, and honouring diplomatic agreements.

(c) What happens when generals reach low loyalty?

A: There will evetnaully be a Clan Dilemma where you must choose between sparing the respective general's life (and gaining an honour penalty), or ordering the respective general to take his own life (which may or may not succeed and said general has a chance to rebel). Treason may also occur when you order the general in question to attack an enemy: prior to the Battle Panel the general may defect to the other side, potentially taking with him some of your units. This may also occur when you order said general to commit seppuku by selecting his portrait and order him to disband. The general may instead opt defect rather than kill himself.

edited April 2011
    64. Does the Artisan building chain benefit matchlock units?

A: Yes, despite the impression that they benefit only archer units, they do add a total possible bonus of +25 to accuracy to matchlock units. Only the Bow Expertise and Legendary Kyudo School benefit archer units' accuracy only.

edited April 2011
    65. How do Generals gain experience?

A: The following describes how Generals achieve experience:

-Achieving any victory in battle, whether auto-resolve or in battle mode, the leading general gains 10 points; additional generals in the same army gain only 1 point (though they can gain regular battle experience just like any other unit in battle mode). Commanding generals of reinforcing armies also gain 10 points: see next question
    -Achieving a Heroic Victory, a rarer variant, grants 15 points; again, only commanding generals gain experience.
    -Losing a battle and the commanding general survives, yields 5 points
    -Generals that are killed yield zero points, since they die.

(b) What about other generals in the army/reinforcements?

A: The leading generals of all armies reinforcing gain 10 experience. Again, Generals accompanying any army but not in command gain only 1 point aside from battle experience yielding chevrons for their bodyguards.

Note that enemy withdrawal when you try to attack them does not give any experience points. You must actually fight and win a battle.

Bearing this in mind, it is possible to have all generals achieve experience points when they act as reinforcements. In a typical battle situation, simply have all participating generals separated from each other yet close enough to join as reinforcements. The maximum possible number of reinforcing armies are three, allowing up to four generals to gain 10 experience points for a single battle.