Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Milan spamming pavise crossbowmen

Celt1114Celt1114 MemberRegistered Users Posts: 53
edited August 2010 in Medieval II: Total War
I was doing a campaign as Portugal and was doing pretty good, considering it was early in the game.
I had taken most of Spain and pushed the Moors completely onto the North African coast, when out of the blue, my "supposed" ally Milan, attacks Zaragova with two full stacks of almost all pavise crossbowmen, and catapults.

I'd say that each stack had at least 1200-1400 pavise crossbowmen in them and they completely wiped out Zaragova and the full stack of various troop types I had there protecting the city.
It was frustrating enough that I quit the campaign and deleted the save game.
I realize playing as Portugal on H/H is very difficult, but found it rediculous to attacked by a few thousand pavise crossbowmen, with little else.
Anyone ever have a problem with this, and if so how do you defend against it?
Post edited by Celt1114 on

Comments

• IBlewAFuseIBlewAFuse Senior Member CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 1,398
    edited August 2010
    I've had this issue before and what I like to do is get alot of really fast light lancer cavalry and put them on the flanks while moving forward some skirmishing units (some archers, some javelin's). Use the skirmishers to hold the crossbowman's fire and the cavalry to do lots of charge and withdrawal's. It's lots of casualties, but that's going to happen no matter what against those guys.
  • Knight TemplarKnight Templar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 498
    edited August 2010
    It has been a problem like forever in the vanilla version of the game.

I agree with what IBlewaFuse said - you need fast units to take them down asap.
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 969
    edited August 2010
    IBlewAFuse wrote: »
    I've had this issue before and what I like to do is get alot of really fast light lancer cavalry and put them on the flanks while moving forward some skirmishing units (some archers, some javelin's). Use the skirmishers to hold the crossbowman's fire and the cavalry to do lots of charge and withdrawal's. It's lots of casualties, but that's going to happen no matter what against those guys.

I agree with both you and Templar. When I played the HRE and had to go down there, I would just get lots of Mailed Knights and Mercanaries and just try to bulldoze them in one Foul Swoop.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • Stukaboy2Stukaboy2 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 364
    edited August 2010
    i was lucky enough to catch their only full stck of pavise on a ship coming back from corsica ^^
    [PORTABLE-ID]stukaboy2[/PORTABLE-ID]

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
  • Celt1114Celt1114 Member Registered Users Posts: 53
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the help guys.
    I've started a campaign as the HRE and will take Colfax and others advice with the mailed knights and mercs when dealing with lowly Milan the backstabbers.
    Nice luck catching them onboard a ship Stukaboy2, that must have been very satisfying indeed! :)
  • kelman221ToWarkelman221ToWar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited August 2010
    I wish i had that luck in these games haha. But just another eason why i sohuld take having some naval power more seriuosly.
  • kelman221ToWarkelman221ToWar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited August 2010
    What i did use Mercenary spearman to soak up all the damage and charge them at the bowmen while my cavalry charge in from the flanks, cutting off their escape. It sometimes pays off to use a ****py spear unit to run around in front of them before doing a hail mary charge to draw their fire.
  • Celt1114Celt1114 Member Registered Users Posts: 53
    edited August 2010
    That sounds good to kelman, thanks:)
  • Stukaboy2Stukaboy2 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 364
    edited August 2010
    Celt1114 wrote: »
    Nice luck catching them onboard a ship Stukaboy2, that must have been very satisfying indeed! :)

It was VERY satisifying, of course, 5 nations got angry at me for it and they all declared war on me . :cool:
    [PORTABLE-ID]stukaboy2[/PORTABLE-ID]

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
  • MontaigneMontaigne Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Advance with cavalry and melee units. As soon as Cav hit their lines they will stand and fight rather than try and skirmish out of range. All you need is one cavalry unit to keep them in one place then charge in with melee to butcher them all.
  • CliffCliff Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 226
    edited August 2010
    Montaigne wrote: »
    Advance with cavalry and melee units. As soon as Cav hit their lines they will stand and fight rather than try and skirmish out of range. All you need is one cavalry unit to keep them in one place then charge in with melee to butcher them all.

Yeah, but the melee stats for the pavisse crossbowmen are pretty impressive. I've had three full cavalry regiments routed by one pavisse fighting in melee.
  • secret spysecret spy Banned Banned Users Posts: 786
    edited August 2010
    Cliff wrote: »
    Yeah, but the melee stats for the pavisse crossbowmen are pretty impressive. I've had three full cavalry regiments routed by one pavisse fighting in melee.

cavalry has unreal charge in medeval 2.charge retreat charge retreat has proven to be undefeatable for me.
  • CheChe Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 804
    edited August 2010
    Stukaboy2 wrote: »
    It was VERY satisifying, of course, 5 nations got angry at me for it and they all declared war on me . :cool:

Heheheh! :D
    "You can learn more about a man in one hour of play, than in an entire year of conversation" - Plato

"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you" - Pericles, 430BC

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine" - Ernesto "Che" Guevara