Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Are we the most loyal customers out there!

whimsicalwhimsical Senior MemberPosts: 330Registered Users
edited October 2013 in Off Topic General
It struck me that we must be! We all come on here and complain (some more than others) about the state of the game. There is no end of posts suggesting how we would like to change or improve it. Many of us have played TW since the first installments.
So in essence, even when it is "bad" (and presumably not worth our time to play) we still come back! Any other game that we buy that is not up to expectations gets completely forgotten about (well mine do).
I wonder if CA see it that way? Given the amount of info we are receiving, and the dialogue being encouraged, I think not!

Just a thought
Man is always separated from what he is by all the breadth of the being which he is not.
Post edited by whimsical on

Comments

• SamuraiStevoSamuraiStevo Senior Member Posts: 577Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    One word: Trolls

A lot of people on the internet in general just like to **** people off and troll, some of those who have hated on the game have admitted to not being fans of the series, etc.

I think some people have themselves to blame: Over hyping the game to themselves.
    Total War games are like Hanzo swords, you compare them to any other game but another Total War game.
  • TornadiumTornadium Senior Member Posts: 318Registered Users
    edited October 2013

A lot of people on the internet in general just like to **** people off and troll, some of those who have hated on the game have admitted to not being fans of the series, etc.

I think some people have themselves to blame: Over hyping the game to themselves.

Oh yeah a falsely advertised broken buggy mess with cut features is totally our fault for overhyping.
  • SamuraiStevoSamuraiStevo Senior Member Posts: 577Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    There wasn't any false advertising, which is illegal under uk consumer law.

If you think there was a case, then why don't all you false advertising fellas, get together and sue CA.
    Total War games are like Hanzo swords, you compare them to any other game but another Total War game.
  • dorpendorpen Senior Member Posts: 501Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    There wasn't any false advertising, which is illegal under uk consumer law.

If you think there was a case, then why don't all you false advertising fellas, get together and sue CA.

Thankfully you don't have to go that far in most EU countries. Since refunds are much easier/require less effort.
  • MarijanMarijan Senior Member Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    dorpen wrote: »
    Thankfully you don't have to go that far in most EU countries. Since refunds are much easier/require less effort.

Exactly, even Steam considers the advertisement apparently as false enough to offer refunds.
  • greycatgreycat Senior Member Posts: 2,358Registered Users
    edited October 2013

I have to disagree. Most of us want the game to be better. If we wanted to "Troll" we would go to a religious or political board.

I think **** people off could mean something else also... :o

Troll
    One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
  • Sulieman the MagnficentSulieman the Magnficent Senior Member Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    A lot of them are taking their complaints way too deliberate now.

Have a look, these '' trolls'' wouldn't dare visit this.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/104136-Do-you-not-find-these-soundtracks-epic
    Dwarf Battle cry: " For the High King and the glory of the dwarfs "
    Team Dwarves
    "
  • gnuffi-c-gnomegnuffi-c-gnome Senior Member Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    There wasn't any false advertising,

are you freaking kidding me? by the beard of Zeus!

i dare you to look at the pre-release features, pictures, movies, basically anything or everything, and there will be no comparison to the degraded stuff we received after release
    for dang sake just look at the simple Carthage battle pic pre-release, it gave me a *****, and then please do go and fight a Carthage battle historical or campaign, and see it will be nothing like that

that 1 thing alone will constitute as false advertisement, and thats without all the other stuff, Wonders, graphics(no1 has graphics as promised even with ultra rigs with best possible hardware, all has to downgrade something or has a graphic issue one way or another), any 1 of those things will then be false advertisement,
    and the thing that makes this mess really bad is thats it not just 1 thing, its almost everything CA showed and told us that are not actually there, basically pre-release rome 2 and post release rome 2 are 2 completely different things = false advertisement
    ´´My name is Legion, for We are many``
    (but "only" 2%)

´´War is the father of us all, King of all. Some it makes gods, some it makes men, some it makes slaves, some free``
    -Herachlitus of Ephesus

天下 - "all under heaven"

Proud owner of all Total War games, incl. Spartan Total Warrior
  • greycatgreycat Senior Member Posts: 2,358Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    A lot of them are taking their complaints way too deliberate now.

Have a look, these '' trolls'' wouldn't dare visit this.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/104136-Do-you-not-find-these-soundtracks-epic

Some people go too far over their hatred for artistic elements of the game. I don't really care about "missing elements" either. There are real issues to complain about. :)
  • NisemonoNisemono Senior Member Posts: 928Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    whimsical wrote: »
    It struck me that we must be! We all come on here and complain (some more than others) about the state of the game. There is no end of posts suggesting how we would like to change or improve it. Many of us have played TW since the first installments.
    So in essence, even when it is "bad" (and presumably not worth our time to play) we still come back! Any other game that we buy that is not up to expectations gets completely forgotten about (well mine do).
    I wonder if CA see it that way? Given the amount of info we are receiving, and the dialogue being encouraged, I think not!

Just a thought

Loyal or not, there is a disgusting lack of maturity in the way the community behaves.

The internet turns any otherwise normal human into a raving/ranting lunatic due to the shield of anonymity. The earlier in life that the human gets conditioned by this shield, the worse the behaviour gets as age increases. Hopefully this stops when the said human realizes that there are more important things in life than wasting hours on activist (read posting hate messages) on the internet.
  • AohLegendAohLegend Senior Member Posts: 2,257Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I've seen plenty of people say that they loved every total war game except for Rome 2. Then they said they would never buy another total war game because CA screwed up once. I wouldn't call that loyalty.
  • Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Posts: 4,606Moderators
    edited October 2013
    I watched the movie '300', and only counted 37 Spartans...rip off...
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...
  • Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior Member Posts: 2,123Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    "Are we the most loyal customers out there!"

I don't know. Are we? ;) If you're looking for loyal customers, check out the fanbase for the adventure games written and published by Sierra On-Line (later Sierra Entertainment) from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s: King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight and, of course, Quest for Glory. It's been 13 years since the last game was published, and people are still talking about them, and writing fan-fiction, song parodies, top ten lists etc. The support for these games has never died and, with the advent of KickStarter, people are putting their money where their mouth is and willing to help sponsor new adventure games by such giants as Al Lowe, Jane Jensen, Lori and Corey Cole, and the Two Guys from Andromeda.

The Sierra Quest games are far from dead... they're just resting. :)
    "There is nothing wrong with nepotism, provided you keep it all in the family."
    --Winston Churchill
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    You can't just throw 14 years of an amazing series away because of a bad game. I think any real Total War fan owes it to the series to give CA another chance. Did we forget how brilliant RTW and M2TW had been? Why would one bad game over-ride the good games that are far more numerous?

~Facepalms~ Think what you want, doesn't change the reality that you seem to be in denial.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • IstvanIstvan Senior Member London, CanadaPosts: 1,233Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I think Rome II is CA's third-strike.

Empire: Total War could have been the best in the series, and it still gravitates me to it because of its immense scope, but even with mods it's still just unfinished and disappointing. Judging by Napoleon, they could have fixed it, but they didn't. That's a strike against CA. It's clear that they have no intention of properly finishing games, even though they have the talent to do so.

Shogun 2's gameplay was atrocious as far as I'm concerned- I couldn't get through the game even once without using Darthmod. And that has nothing to do with the period, as the original Shogun is still my favourite after Medieval 2. That's a second strike against CA in my books. Perhaps the game might have been stable, but anyone who played older Total Wars must have felt that the game's battles were arcade messes that were over within minutes.

I fortunately haven't suffered directly from this Rome II debacle, because I haven't bought the game, but as far as I'm concerned this game is the third strike against CA.

The series has simply taken an irreversible turn down a path that I don't think I can easily tolerate. I'll just go cry in the corner and play the original Shogun: Total War, and think back on a time when using your units properly actually meant something, because good tactics and efficient use of inferior units could overcome poorly used superior units, in contrast to now, where the rock-paper-scissor system ensures that hard-counters are the only things that matter.

That said, I'm not a baseball fan, so three strikes doesn't mean I've given up all interest in the series, but I've been forced to accept that the gameplay of the pre-Warscape Total Wars is never coming back.
    Battle not with Canadians, lest ye become a Canadian, and if ye gaze into the maple syrup, the maple syrup gazes also into you.
  • Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Posts: 4,606Moderators
    edited October 2013
    Game development and development houses in general, needs to be dynamic...and sometimes mistakes or problems develop, that's the nature of the beast.

Little side story...I started up a little group over on Beth's boards offering a 'play test and validation' service for mods and modders for Skyrim. Copped a bit of flak for it from some of the traditionalists, but more than a few modders actually asked us to test their stuff before release - because for many of those folk they either see modding as a step up into the industry, or they actually take pride in their work and want to release a solid product. The feedback that we got from the people who used us was very positive, and they were quite keen on seeing us do it again for the next rpg release from Beth - the traditionalists still saw us in a negative light though. Point being, you can't make everyone happy.

I'm content that with mistakes being made, things get fixed...and people learn from it. As Devo used to sing - Work now for the future.
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...