Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Latest update from Mike Simpson and CA (17.10.2013)

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,144Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
edited December 2013 in Total War: ROME II
Hi guys, we have a message below from Total War Creative Director Mike Simpson that we'd like to pass along to keep you up to date with what's going on here at the studio.

---

Hi everyone,

Thank you for playing our patches and reporting issues you find on the forum. Without that help we wouldn’t be able to turn around the patches as fast as we have been doing. We’re achieving in weeks what, on previous projects, took months.

Over the next few weeks there’s going to be a shift from dealing with stability and config to working on gameplay and features, while performance and AI remain high priorities. I expect the pace of patching to slow a little as gameplay and deeper AI changes need longer to test and tune. It’ll still be weeks rather than months between patches though, and we're going to continue to patch the game regularly for the foreseeable future.

Gameplay and AI fixes take a long time to test, and we have to play a lot of 200+ turn games to be sure a change has worked as intended. To make the regular patches possible we have to overlap them, so while patch 5 will go live tomorrow, we've already started work on patch 7. This does mean it takes a while for your feedback to manifest as changes in the game, so please don’t be too disappointed if your top issue isn’t fixed in the latest patch. We are listening to you, and we will get there.

Our long-term plan from here is to get as fast as possible to a point where everyone is broadly happy with the state of the gameplay and AI. After that we’ll shift modes again to long-term support – something which is new for TW and was very much our plan for the title all along. Our games already have a long lifetime, but by releasing occasional DLC packs and free content updates we keep working on them for much longer. This means upgrades in a number of areas which help the game evolve, and stop it becoming obsolete.

I’m not going make any detailed claims about what we’re going to do in the short term. The best way – the only really credible way - we can let you know what we’re doing is by delivering it in the game. But rest assured that we’re constantly reading the TW forums and a variety of others, and the feedback you’re giving helps us to prioritise the issues we deal with, as well as getting a sense of which features work well, which are not liked, and which features from previous Total War games which weren’t designed into Rome II are missed. This is an interesting topic actually, as a lot of people think that we’ve ‘cut’ features to make Rome II and it isn’t as simplistic as that assumption.

A lot of the game is designed from the ground up. We develop many features in parallel, some of which work differently to how they did in previous games: we aim to create a different experience every time, and that’s very important to us. New features are added, and certain features from previous games are therefore not included as they must naturally make way for different features. What’s been interesting – and very useful for us – is listening to you telling us about which features you like and don’t like, and what you miss from previous titles. We take your views seriously, and we’ll take them with us in the future.

For now, we’re about to roll out our largest patch yet, which contains a number of key fixes and changes. The next update will also bring you new, free game content which we’ve been talking about for a while… we hope you like it. Alongside this, you’ll see our next major step towards mod support for ROME II.

Enjoy the update, enjoy the game, and thanks again for your ongoing feedback.

Mike Simpson
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• StormblizzardStormblizzard Member Posts: 48Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    yay i guess?
  • AquiloAquilo Senior Member Posts: 780Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    very good news, and very nice to hear from you again :) thanks for the update
    What would you have me do, Caesar?
  • riverboyriverboy Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited October 2013
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,082Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited October 2013
    Awesome :)
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • TheCrazyHeadGamerTheCrazyHeadGamer Senior Member Posts: 1,036Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Awesome, really looking forward to this !
    TheCrazyHeadGamer have spoken !

My Youtube Channel
  • barabbarab Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Great to hear. I hope we'll all be playing Rome 2 for years to come.

I hope that you guys are looking at what Firaxis did with Civ5. It was a rough launch for that game too but they have been constantly supporting it. The expansions improved and added upon gameplay (introducing new mechanics into the core game) and now it is a truly epic game. I'd like to see the same type of lifecycle for Rome 2.
  • Crusader76Crusader76 Senior Member Posts: 862Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Good to hear you're still listening. There's a great game in here CA, but it's currently buried extremely deep - and the fact that the game feels soulless doesn't help.
    SonOfCrusader76 - the Son has become The Father. :D

CA, Open Betas are absolutely imperative for the future of this once great series. That is Open Betas - not ones that are only open to those who pre order!

Stop asking why people are angry! We don't like paying full price for a beta product - that's why we're angry!

It had to be Rome 2, didn't it CA? Had to be Rome 2 where you finally dropped the ball. :(
  • NippergeddanNippergeddan Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thanks Good Communication of futrue plan !
  • TheCrazyHeadGamerTheCrazyHeadGamer Senior Member Posts: 1,036Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    if the game gets really better, i'll start a giveaway !
    TheCrazyHeadGamer have spoken !

My Youtube Channel
  • vonPauluSvonPauluS Senior Member Posts: 278Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thank you Mike and CA! Continue working and supporting this game. Im pleased to see how CA communicate and listen to the community with the release of Rome 2, even if this game at release was buggy and not completely polished!

1 question! You have told that patch 5 will go live tomorrow, will it be beta or complete Patch 5?
  • KaufcraftIIKaufcraftII Junior Member Posts: 18Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    It could be wise to also put this thread into the rome 2 forum where the other statements are as well
  • SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Posts: 757Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Well said, Mike Simpson. This is exactly what I think we wanted to hear. Performance optimisation and AI are always what people want fixed first, with the gameplay issues a close second.

Personally I'm most looking forward to improvements in optimisation, I want the game to look as pretty (if not prettier) than Shogun 2 graphically. Either way, each patch so far has been a giant leap in improvement over the original game. Thanks for the updates.
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Forum Historical 'Knowledge': Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Clever Strategy Gamers: +25% Research Rate
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 4,086Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Hope you bring back those historical battles!
    CA, plz dont forget to improve UNIT VARIETY & DIVERSITY!

PONTUS Additional PONTIC LEGIONARY.
    ARMENIA *Additional unique and native melee infantry.
    *Diversity of ELITE CATAPHRACT.
    http://peopleofar.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/armenian-and-parthian-cataphracts.jpg
    ARDIAEI Additional ELITE SICA unit.
    NAVAL BATTLE SHIPS Improve diversity to ships.
  • ESPILFIREESPILFIRE Member Posts: 55Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thanks so much! I hope to see Rome II like the best total war game, I hope this!!
    AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz 955 Black Edition 64bits
    ASUS ENGTS250 1GB DDR3
    8GB DDR3 1600
    Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H rev 2.2
    Wester Digital 1T Caviar Black 64MB 7500RPM
    Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member Posts: 15,460Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    CraigTW wrote: »
    For now, we’re about to roll out our largest patch yet, which contains a number of key fixes and changes. The next update will also bring you new, free game content which we’ve been talking about for a while… we hope you like it. Alongside this, you’ll see our next major step towards mod support for ROME II.

Sweet, thanks, I look forward to it. :)
    Over the next few weeks there’s going to be a shift from dealing with stability and config to working on gameplay and features, while performance and AI remain high priorities. I expect the pace of patching to slow a little as gameplay and deeper AI changes need longer to test and tune. It’ll still be weeks rather than months between patches though, and we're going to continue to patch the game regularly for the foreseeable future.

Sounds fair, will be interesting what you guys come up with. :)
    Gameplay and AI fixes take a long time to test, and we have to play a lot of 200+ turn games to be sure a change has worked as intended.

...poor you. ;)
  • HuntingDogHuntingDog Senior Member Posts: 1,236Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Let's see what patch 5 does. If it's any good, thank you, otherwise it's more empty words.
    2xGTX970 / 2x7970, 4770K@4.2Ghz, 32GB RAM, Win7-64
  • SashimigSashimig Senior Member Posts: 2,834Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Great news. So Seleucids for tomorrow?
    "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head"

Euripides
  • jpinardjpinard Senior Member Posts: 570Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thank you! You hit on all the things we've been hoping to hear.

I made an offer weeks ago to use my system as a testbed for the game to sim results with different AI changes. Sounds like you actually are cpu contrained by total number of units and their power. Give us a shout as some of us would be happy to just run as mamy games as possible if it helps you fix the campiagn AI faster and with better quality.
  • RealWarfareRealWarfare Senior Member Posts: 2,036Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited October 2013
    Thanks a lot for the post, it really means a lot, for a lot of people here. I hope you'll seek to post updates like this more regularly so we can know if there's anything new going on. :)
    The best is yet to come
  • Anubis666Anubis666 Member Posts: 93Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing your plans, much appreciated!
    It does not need to make sense...
  • helmersenhelmersen Senior Member Oslo, NorwayPosts: 159Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Sounds great! I hope everything works out well :)
  • 123bountyhunter123bountyhunter Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Woohoo I like surprises and patch 5. Keep it up CA
  • LugerLuger Member Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Thanks. The changes are becoming more and more noticeable with each patch, but there is still more work to do. Keep us up to date on your progress and plans, and we will continue backing you. You guys have shown a determination and willingness to repair the damage done by this release, and I commend you for it. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to patch 5.
    Rome is mother to us all!
  • triggs89triggs89 Member Posts: 73Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    indeed waiting for patch 5 to comment properly. Will pretty much define whether or not this game is going to get any better, if they cant get the game release ready over a month....after release, then its pretty much a lost cause.
    Mobo:asus z68 gen 3
    RAM:16GB ddr3 dual channel (1866mhz)
    CPU:Intel® Core™ i7 2700k@ 4.8ghz 1.45v (watercooled)
    GFX card: GTX 780 @ 1340 mhz core boost, memory 7000mhz ( modded bios/watercooled)
    PSU:ZM850-HP
    HDD: Primary: SSD, corsair force 3 120GB, Storage:750GB Seagate ( 7,2000 rpm 32mb cache)
    Case:Corsair 800d
  • MiraklumMiraklum Senior Member Posts: 404Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Glad to see you are reading the forums. Lets hope you are really listening. Because people waited years for rome 2...
  • djxputdjxput Senior Member Posts: 407Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Good news!

Thanks for keeping us updated - With 376 hours played so far Im happy to test patches if it makes the game better. And it has - Im also glad you will be concentrating on gameplay and AI a bit more ... because I still do not have a challenge yet.

Cant wait for some of these changes - including modding.
  • ocramocram Member Posts: 55Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I'll be waiting for those improvements then :)
  • WaterSquirrelWaterSquirrel Senior Member Posts: 196Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Please, CA, communication like this needs to be more frequent. This post has done a lot, I think, to alleviate concerns that CA isn't paying attention, and while it's light on details, it's heavy on optimism. I look forward to tomorrow's patch and what you have in store for the future. I for one have been happy with my Rome II experience on the whole, so at least from my perspective it can only get better.
    let them hate, so long as they fear
    i5-3570k, GTX660 Ti , 8GB DDR3/1600MHz, Win7 64x
  • NormandyNormandy Member Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Sounds great, keep on fixing.

I'm smelling a blood pack coming up . . . soon
  • leiviciusleivicius Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    What do they mean when they say they are making a step towards mod support ? Finally workshop will be available and we can mod it as we want like others TW's ?