Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

My solution to the stupid graphic card setup hard coding...(and unlimited vram option

TheCrazyHeadGamerTheCrazyHeadGamer Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,036
edited March 2015 in Total War Eras Support
Here's my quick fix for the unavailable "unlimited memory usage" and the fact that some of us can't select the higher level of details in the graphic options. These issues appeared in patch 5.

Seems to work fine, but if you have any unusual crash or graphic glitch, don't hesitate to go back to the original .pack file ;)

If this doesn't work, it might be because your GPU is not listed in the file. If so, please provide a screenshot of your option menu where the graphic card name is showing as well as a screen shot of your hardware manager in windows showing your GPU list

Now the game work like any other games, meaning that you can choose whathever graphic option you like...even in the first stage of the graphic options, where you can find the shortcut for the different level of details and the resolution (those can be disabled if you GPU is not listed right on their file...)

If you don't have those problems, you do not need this file, it won't change anything.

here's the data file (Save your original file before changing it). This is the patch 8.1 beta files :

boot.zip
boot direct ressource access.zip

You need to replace the one that is in the "data" subfolder of your Rome 2 installation folder

I noticed on my PC that the Rome 2 splash screen (before the Sega logo) doesn't appear anymore after this fix, don't worry if you don't see it ;)

If you have a crash, it might be because you set an amount of available vram manually on your pref file. Some people reported that puting it back to its normal value fix the crash problem.

Note that this will certainly be erased in the next update, and that the boot.pack would be different

Enjoy !

[EDIT by Matthias CA] An official statement has been made here regarding the unlimited video being greyed out. Don't forget to vote in the poll to help us find a possible fix for this issue.[/EDIT]
TheCrazyHeadGamer have spoken !

My Youtube Channel
Post edited by TheCrazyHeadGamer on

Comments

• DRAGONAUTDRAGONAUT Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited October 2013
    Excellent work - can you tell me how to open the boot.pack? Thanks!
  • TheCrazyHeadGamerTheCrazyHeadGamer Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    edited October 2013
    there : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618353

but you can download my data file here : boot.zip

My Youtube Channel
  • DRAGONAUTDRAGONAUT Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited October 2013
    You sir, are a legend. Thank you so much for this. I can set everything to ultra and have the UVM tick box functioning again. Most excellent work.
  • TheCrazyHeadGamerTheCrazyHeadGamer Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    edited October 2013
    DRAGONAUT wrote: »
    You sir, are a legend. Thank you so much for this. I can set everything to ultra and have the UVM tick box functioning again. Most excellent work.

Happy it worked for you as well :D
    hopefully it will for everybody

My Youtube Channel
  • gnuffi-c-gnomegnuffi-c-gnome Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    edited October 2013
    thx for the fix

still cant check "Unlimited Video Memory" options tho, but stil thx alot for this
    ´´My name is Legion, for We are many``
    (but "only" 2%)

´´War is the father of us all, King of all. Some it makes gods, some it makes men, some it makes slaves, some free``
    -Herachlitus of Ephesus

天下 - "all under heaven"

Proud owner of all Total War games, incl. Spartan Total Warrior
    edited October 2013
    thx for the fix

still cant check "Unlimited Video Memory" options tho, but stil thx alot for this

oh that's weird

what's you gpu ?

My Youtube Channel
  • heinzheinz Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 447
    edited October 2013
    OK if this works, you are an effing genius TCHG. Do you recommend people delete their preferences file before activating the boot.pak? So the game runs a "fresh" scan of the system's hardware?

I want people to test this and i want to test this myself, but i have a 8970M, i'm thinking its not going to be applicable to me? Even if its not, i am really hoping it helps guys with 7000 series cards.

I'm really glad you are looking at this and looking for workarounds. Bravo to you and bravo to Woollymammoth for bringing the possibility of this fix to our attentions.
    edited October 2013
    oh that's weird

what's you gpu ?
    geforce 8800gt 1gb
    (but "only" 2%)

´´War is the father of us all, King of all. Some it makes gods, some it makes men, some it makes slaves, some free``
    -Herachlitus of Ephesus

天下 - "all under heaven"

edited October 2013
    wait a minute, i'm going to build a new file with your cards

My Youtube Channel
  • BennyMendtBennyMendt Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 297
    edited October 2013
    OK if this works, you are an effing genius TCHG.
    Well, I can set everything to extreme.ZERO Lag. Amazing! It´s hard to believe.
  • heinzheinz Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 447
    edited October 2013
    WAIT! Dont forget the Nvidia guys. guys with 780Ms, 770Ms, i'm sure there are others. I have a 8970M but, if you have time, please try to add guys with the newer Nvidia cards both mobile and desktop. You are doing great things man.
    edited October 2013
    heinz wrote: »
    WAIT! Dont forget the Nvidia guys. guys with 780Ms, 770Ms, i'm sure there are others. I have a 8970M but, if you have time, please try to add guys with the newer Nvidia cards both mobile and desktop. You are doing great things man.

good idea ;)

My Youtube Channel
  • NormandyNormandy Member Registered Users Posts: 39
    edited October 2013
    Wow a great thanks for this !

Went from High to Ultra . . . i'm speechless

Specs:
    i7 2600 (3.4Ghz)
    GTX 570
    16GB ram
    edited October 2013
    file's updated with the 8970M and 8800 GT

My Youtube Channel
    edited October 2013
    i love this fix man,

i can put settings on ultra now

even tho i still cant use the "unlimited Video Memory option" which means i cant put my textures on more than medium, (know i wont ever get it on ultra with my gpu lol , but with unlimited memory i could get it on high)
    but now,
    noooooow!
    omg omg!
    i have never been this exited about grass!
    comn! i got grass and trees and stuff on ultra, how the freakin hell beautiful does this game look even with my sh*ty rig!!

thx alot man, this looks way better than before

how are you not on CA's payroll when you are able to improve on their mess, which they havent in 1½ month post release?

Hats of to your sir!
    (but "only" 2%)

-Herachlitus of Ephesus

天下 - "all under heaven"

edited October 2013
    i love this fix man,

even tho i still cant use the "unlimited Video Memory option" which means i cant put my textures on more than medium, (know i wont ever get it on ultra with my gpu lol , but with unlimited memory i could get it on high)
    but now,
    noooooow!
    omg omg!
    comn! i got grass and trees and stuff on ultra, how the freakin hell beautiful does this game look even with my sh*ty rig!!

how are you not on CA's payroll when you are able to improve on their mess, which they havent in 1½ month post release?

Hats of to your sir!

Happy that it works for you :)

weird for the unlimited video ! how much vram does it show you in the option menu ?

What's the exact name of you GPU in your control pannel ?

I did nothing really great here, just editing a text file ^^

My Youtube Channel
  • SthennoSthenno Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited October 2013
    Woah nice one TCHG!
    Would you advise me on how to get this up and running for an AMD Radeon HD 8870m? You just add a line of text somewhere?

A solution would be outstanding, at the moment I'd get better graphics performance if I drew the battles on an etch-a-sketch.
    edited October 2013
    Sthenno wrote: »
    Woah nice one TCHG!
    Would you advise me on how to get this up and running for an AMD Radeon HD 8870m? You just add a line of text somewhere?

A solution would be outstanding, at the moment I'd get better graphics performance if I drew the battles on an etch-a-sketch.

forgot this one ahah !
    hold on

My Youtube Channel
    edited October 2013
    here it is with the 8870M, download it from the link on the first post

My Youtube Channel
  • SthennoSthenno Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited October 2013
    Sincerest thanks, you're an absolute gentleman.
    All my options are back up. You're a genius.

Edit - thanks too to Heinz, you've been all over these pages since patch 5. First class job lads!
  • Chris-919Chris-919 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 366
    edited October 2013
    Made a real difference for me using this after I deleted my exisiting preferences.txt and let it create a new one. Everything is far smoother now. Even the iffy benchmark actually works now and makes some bloody sense. :D

Many thanks for this. :)
    "Theatricality and deception are powerful agents."

"Gentlemen, it is time to spread the word. And the word is... panic!"
    edited October 2013
    i love this fix man,

but now,
    noooooow!
    omg omg!

Hats of to your sir!

Can you give me the name of the card that appears in your option menu as well ?

My Youtube Channel
    edited October 2013
    Chris-919 wrote: »
    Made a real difference for me using this after I deleted my exisiting preferences.txt and let it create a new one. Everything is far smoother now. Even the iffy benchmark actually works now and makes some bloody sense. :D

Many thanks for this. :)

Good to hear :)

My Youtube Channel
    edited October 2013
    Can you give me the name of the card that appears in your option menu as well ?

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Video Memory (mb) 997mb
    (which btw i find strange since its a 1gb card, dono maybe the last 27 mb got lost due to it being 6years old??)

im not expecting any miracles here,
    me not being able to check the unlimited video option anymore happened in patch 4(or 5) i think, and might be a totally unrelated issue that need more done than editing the boot.pack(no idea im not that tech/code savy)

but so far, for the improvement you have made on my graphics options
    i still soundly say you deserve a cheer and thx
    (but "only" 2%)

-Herachlitus of Ephesus

天下 - "all under heaven"

• MarwynnMarwynn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    Hey, thanks a lot for this man. I got the Unlimited checkbox checkable again. It still says it's an Intel HD 4000 instead of my Radeon 7670M, but it shows 1gb available.

Thanks, this is the smoothest it's ever been.
  • AlyssaFadenAlyssaFaden Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 654
    edited October 2013
    Totally crashes my game on start up. going back to the original file fixes that.
    edited October 2013
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Video Memory (mb) 997mb
    (which btw i find strange since its a 1gb card, dono maybe the last 27 mb got lost due to it being 6years old??)

im not expecting any miracles here,
    me not being able to check the unlimited video option anymore happened in patch 4(or 5) i think, and might be a totally unrelated issue that need more done than editing the boot.pack(no idea im not that tech/code savy)

but so far, for the improvement you have made on my graphics options
    i still soundly say you deserve a cheer and thx

in your preference script file (C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts) edit this line :
    gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #
    change it for :
    gfx_video_memory -1; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

try again and see if the checkbox is now available

My Youtube Channel
    edited October 2013
    Totally crashes my game on start up. going back to the original file fixes that.

Can you try to remove your preference script file and try again (save it before you delete it) ?

My Youtube Channel
    edited October 2013
    in your preference script file (C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts) edit this line :
    gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #
    change it for :
    gfx_video_memory -1; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

try again and see if the checkbox is now available

nope, checkbox still greyed out only change is the game is now tricked to think my card is with 4gb lol which it doesnt have ofc ;)

thx tho,

im still glad for being able to set my options on Ultra now tho :) so thx again for that
    (but "only" 2%)

-Herachlitus of Ephesus

天下 - "all under heaven"