Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where’s Patch 6 and where’s Patch 7?

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,141Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
edited November 2013 in Total War: ROME II
Hi all,

There’s been a bit of confusion over the various updates to ROME II recently and what’s coming next, so here’s a quick summary.

First a bit of technical detail on what happens when we update a TW game, because that will hopefully help with the explanation.

When we release a patch or DLC for our games, we are of course making a changes to the game. Broadly speaking, there are two kinds of changes; code changes (changes to the games executable file, i.e. Rome2.exe) and content changes (changes to the assets that the game uses, including models, audio, text, the database etc. that come in the form of .pack files in the game’s data folder).

Code changes need to go to all players, to keep the version and experience of the game the same for everybody. This also ensures that everybody’s version of the game is compatible with new content. This is especially important for multiplayer, so that all players are playing the same version of the game. This means that sometimes when we release DLC everyone downloads the data in a patch even if they don’t buy the DLC so that their version of the game is current and they can see the new units or factions when they play against someone using them in multiplayer.

Content changes can be made without code changes. Different players can also own different content of course. For example, one player may own the Total War: ROME II Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack DLC, and another may not. However, in this case, both players will still need to have the same version of the game, and so the same code changes. All players will have received an update when Total War: ROME II Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack DLC was released, which included fixes and code to make the game aware of the new content, and some of the graphics/data to ensure that the new units show up in multiplayer correctly even if that player hasn’t purchased that DLC (or picked it up for free in the giveaway week).

Most of the time, when we release a patch or DLC, we release both code changes and content changes at the same time, so all players will experience an update, whether they get new content changes or not. If a player gains ownership of new content (by buying DLC for example), and already has the latest version of the game (latest code changes to Rome2.exe), only the extra data pack(s) of content changes will be downloaded, and not any code changes (changes to the games executable file Rome2.exe). Depending on the DLC and how much of it has already been downloaded as part of the update for the above reasons, the size of this download on purchase can vary greatly.

Patch 6
As explained in posts before, not all patches are equal in size, when we name them they are just given the next ascending number so we can track them internally as they are built and published. Patch 6 was effectively the update that allowed the game to recognise the Blood & Gore DLC yesterday, so that when you buy the DLC it works correctly with the game and, even if you choose not to buy it, we have made sure that everyone has the very latest version, so that when we patch in the future we are sure that everyone’s is at the same point.

It did also include some very minor fixes (correction for black terrain and issues running in non-administrator mode in windows for some people, namely), and we will update the patch notes page on the wiki to reflect this.

Patch 7
The core team’s main focus since patch 5 has been patch 7, which is currently being prepared for open beta. So expect to see some news on this soon.

As we’ve mentioned before, the TW team work on multiple different patches and new game content in parallel at the same time, it’s not always required that the whole team work on one specific tech issue at the same time.

Please note that we won’t specify dates on when patches will enter open beta or go live as we may decide that they need further work or content added at the last moment and we don’t want to cause disappointment.

Patch 7 certainly won’t be the last update we make to the game, as we announced before ROME II launched we have an extensive plan for post-release updates including free additional content and features: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/74026-Post-launch-support-plans-and-even-more-free-content-for-Total-War-ROME-II!

But as Mike Simpson mentioned recently, the interval between updates will increase as deeper gameplay and AI changes take longer to test. It would be fair to say though that the frequency of updates will be higher than any TW game to date for the foreseeable future.
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• BloodSpillerBloodSpiller Senior Member Posts: 489Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I see now,
    Hope that Patch 7 will fix some of the AI and the mosh pit problem.
  • DodoDodo Banned Posts: 488Banned Users
    edited November 2013
    Still no 3$ for you untill you fix FPS.
    Team 2%
    "rume 2 iz de bast gem in histury lael"
  • The Black DouglasThe Black Douglas Senior Member Posts: 601Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Many thanks!!!!
  • AlexanderOfMacedonAlexanderOfMacedon Senior Member Posts: 246Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    cheers craig
  • Fabiano1979Fabiano1979 Senior Member Posts: 139Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I know is hard to give precise dates, but this "soon" for patch 7 means what? Next few days? I ask this because every patch demand that we start a new campaing, and people probably just started one with the Blood and Gore.
  • AdoringFanAdoringFan Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    makes sense, thanks for adding clarity here
  • RealWarfareRealWarfare Senior Member Posts: 2,036Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for keeping us updated
    The best is yet to come
  • ErstusErstus Senior Member Posts: 1,528Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Yes, finally some word on this

Thanks CA
    Total War Top 5 List - Revised
    1) Rome 1 - Total Realism Mod
    2) Attila - Grand Campaign 2.0 Mod
    3) Shogun 2
    4) Medieval 2 - Stainless Steel Mod
    5) Medieval 1
  • DeathJesterDeathJester Member Posts: 83Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Will there be some updates to the Blood and Gore DLC? I mean most of it looks nice but horses and elephants not getting any blood stains looks... weird and out of place.

Also perhaps an option that lets us keep a low res blood pool on the ground, so we can see true carnage after a battle?

Would be mighty awesome of you if you could go ask a dev (in case you're not sure yourself) :)
  • rjacko10rjacko10 Senior Member Posts: 288Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for the clarification and it's good to know the patches will continue and become ever "deeper". Looking forward to seeing what you guys have been working on.
  • Triarii101Triarii101 Senior Member Posts: 314Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    At last, some communication... Hoping to see performance fixes in patch 7, but after 6 patches I suppose it's not very likely. Still can't play the game currently with acceptable fps
  • AlainYncaanAlainYncaan Senior Member Augsburg, Bavaria, GermanyPosts: 238Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Looking forward to patch 7 beta :)
    Keep the work going :)
    VIVA
    AUGUSTA VINDELICORUM (AUGSBURG)!
    Finally, it's in the game.

Rome + Metalmusic: Ex Deo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAERweN9Sjo

Babylon + Metalmusic: Melechesh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeIa9gGMJg8&list=PLACA3FB41A5DCCF88

Gaul + Metalmusic: Eluveitie
    http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnqoM9PUg_fQ2Qo_RSc5Ake7oYf5ONx8U

Mainboard
    Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
    CPU
    I5-4690 (3,5-3,9 Ghz)
    GPU
    Palit Jetstream GTX 970 OC
    RAM
    Crucial Ballistic Sports 8GB DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9
  • postembr2postembr2 Senior Member Posts: 349Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    So when patch 5 was released, and 2 more patches were promissed by MIKE, it was actually one, because this one is a "patch" to add paid content... let me ask one thing... i know you cant deny or confirm anything, but the "patch 7" will be also some DLC or any actual bug fix? And by bug fixing i mean not the "fixed some tooltip colors"?
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member Posts: 15,233Registered Users
    edited November 2013
  • TimRiceSETimRiceSE Senior Member Posts: 303Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    postembr2 wrote: »
    So when patch 5 was released, and 2 more patches were promissed by MIKE, it was actually one, because this one is a "patch" to add paid content... let me ask one thing... i know you cant deny or confirm anything, but the "patch 7" will be also some DLC or any actual bug fix? And by bug fixing i mean not the "fixed some tooltip colors"?

No one promised anything.

Because people like you misinterpret everything and then rage when you dont get what you think youve been promised.
  • BenMSBenMS Senior Member Posts: 139Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Well, at least an answer in general regarding patch 6 too... Thanks for the heads-up.
    Veni, Vedi, Vici!
    Carpe Noctum.

You reap what you sow.
  • wildmugatowildmugato Senior Member Posts: 436Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    CraigTW wrote: »
    Patch 7 certainly won’t be the last update we make to the game, as we announced before ROME II launched we have an extensive plan for post-release updates including free additional content and features: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l-War-ROME-II!

OMG, free additional content..Say it ain't so. I guess the complainers will find something wrong with that.
    As I have said before with these patches. PATIENCE and they will come. See you peeps will get more stuff for FREE. Put down the burning torches to burn the monster with and return to your homes. :D

This is good news and I thank Craig and the team for the updates.
    ========================================== The Wild Mugato ==========================================
    Total War: WARHAMMER / Attila: Total War / Age of Charlemagne Pack /
    Blood & Burning / Celts C Pack / Viking FC Pack / Longbeards CP / Rome II : Total War / WoS Pack / B&G Pack BoW Pack / CIGEC Pack / HATG Pack / Rome I : Total War | Rome: Total War - Alexander / Empire: Total War / Napoleon : Total War / Shogun : Total War / Shogun II : Total War / Medieval : Total War /

====================================================================================
    edited November 2013
    TimRiceSE wrote: »
    no one promised anything.

Because people like you misinterpret everything and then rage when you dont get what you think youve been promised.

read
    hi guys, we have a message below from total war creative director mike simpson that we'd like to pass along to keep you up to date with what's going on here at the studio.

gameplay and ai fixes take a long time to test, and we have to play a lot of 200+ turn games to be sure a change has worked as intended. To make the regular patches possible we have to overlap them, so while patch 5 will go live tomorrow, we've already started work on patch 7. This does mean it takes a while for your feedback to manifest as changes in the game, so please don’t be too disappointed if your top issue isn’t fixed in the latest patch. We are listening to you, and we will get there.

Which is a blantant lie, as "patch 6" didnt fix anything relevant; it is, and was from the beginning know from inside it was just DLC being release. No patches are being overlap.
  • TimRiceSETimRiceSE Senior Member Posts: 303Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    read

Which is a blantant lie, as "patch 6" didnt fix anything relevant; it is, and was from the beginning know from inside it was just DLC being release. No patches are being overlap.

And not one single mention of promises was found. Especially not of two patches. Nowhere is it written that patch 6 will fix all your problems magically.

Please point to the lie.
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,827Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Very nice. Thanks for keeping us informed.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
    edited November 2013
    wildmugato wrote: »
    OMG, free additional content..Say it ain't so. I guess the complainers will find something wrong with that.
    As I have said before with these patches. PATIENCE and they will come. See you peeps will get more stuff for FREE. Put down the burning torches to burn the monster with and return to your homes. :D

This is good news and I thank Craig and the team for the updates.

I dont want anything free. Im glad to pay for content in a game that works. That is why i brought FOTS and all DLC yesterday. Im willing to pay, but, instead of fixing the game, looks like they want to milk the cash to end.
  • KarixKarix Senior Member Posts: 231Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    thanks and good to know that patch 7 isn't the last one
  • TMOS ZealotTMOS Zealot Senior Member Posts: 180Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    thanks for the heads-up. I really want to buy the new Dlc, but as the game stands, its not worth it. This is because of the moshpit issue. Fix this, and make this the most beautifull TW game to date to watch up close, because the animations are simply awesome!
    Run for the Hills!
  • XanderleoXanderleo Senior Member Posts: 889Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for clarifying Craig. I would ask though, if you do this sort of thing again to give people a heads up before it downloads because it makes changes to people's game even if they didn't buy the Blood and Gore DLC. :)
  • Le_SwedeLe_Swede Senior Member Posts: 324Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Nice to hear a bit more about what you guys at CA are working with at the moment. I always appreciate an update. :)

It would be swell however if you could fix the problem some people, including myself, have which makes the game unable to launch due to it being stuck/crashes at the first loading screen. It's kinda sad when you buy one of your dlc:s only to get "punished" by not being able to test it out. After all, my legions do demand bloodshed. ^^
  • wildmugatowildmugato Senior Member Posts: 436Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I dont want anything free. Im glad to pay for content in a game that works. That is why i brought FOTS and all DLC yesterday. Im willing to pay, but, instead of fixing the game, looks like they want to milk the cash to end.

lol, All games now days "Milk you" for DLC's or whatever extras. If you want the extras, then you have to pay. You want that gun,ship that can do cart wheels or can blast thru a planet, then you will buy.

Been playing STO (Star Trek Online) for close to 4 years now, and every new ship or toy is a "price" via their store ingame or on there site.

Its the way of the game world now days.. It is the norm for me to invest to make my game play enjoyable.
    ========================================== The Wild Mugato ==========================================
    Total War: WARHAMMER / Attila: Total War / Age of Charlemagne Pack /
    Blood & Burning / Celts C Pack / Viking FC Pack / Longbeards CP / Rome II : Total War / WoS Pack / B&G Pack BoW Pack / CIGEC Pack / HATG Pack / Rome I : Total War | Rome: Total War - Alexander / Empire: Total War / Napoleon : Total War / Shogun : Total War / Shogun II : Total War / Medieval : Total War /

====================================================================================
  • XanderleoXanderleo Senior Member Posts: 889Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    wildmugato wrote: »
    Been playing STO (Star Trek Online) for close to 4 years now, and every new ship or toy is a "price" via their store ingame or on there site.

Its the way of the game world now days.. It is the norm for me to invest to make my game play enjoyable.

Apples and oranges. STO is free to play so the only way the company makes money is to charge you for everything above and beyond the small free core game. If you pay 60$ for the core game, few would want to go on to a free to play model afterwards where you pay for every tiny little thing in the game.

Anyhow this is way off topic in this thread.
  • Der PhönixDer Phönix Senior Member Posts: 234Registered Users
    edited November 2013

Patch 7 certainly won’t be the last update we make to the game, as we announced before ROME II launched we have an extensive plan for post-release updates including free additional content and features: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/74026-Post-launch-support-plans-and-even-more-free-content-for-Total-War-ROME-II!

The fact that he says this makes me think that we will not have many more patches after patch 7. Maybe one or two...
  • StrategeStratege Senior Member Posts: 647Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for the explanation.

I only hope the wrong Roman flagship type with veteran legionaries at the beginning of the campaign will be changed in patch 7 finally. Somehow this prevents me from beginning a campaign.
  • golangolan Senior Member Posts: 1,392Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    And again another proof of miscommunication. Just by providing lots of info doesn't compensate for the lack of proper information. Note that you failed to communicate the answer to a pretty basic question even with a wall of text.

The question is "when?" Requires a short and fixed answer, but not an immutable one.

Now, we all know there might be issues that require the dev team to push a release, BUT, that doesn't change the fact that you're failing to communicate the simplest of things.

My recommendation: make a calendar of releases, announce patch X for week 50 (or maybe give an interval of "most likely" delivery). As the date approaches, feel free to announce if you're going to push back the patch's release and communicate the issues that get in the way.

Its just that simple, then when somebody asks, just give them the wiki or the forum link where this calendar is being kept. All in all, its not an unreasonable demand.

Have a good one.
    Remember! Rome Wasn't Patched In a Day... Uhm, that's the way the saying goes, right?

TW Track:
    • SP/MP ratio = 95/5.
    • Preferred campaign difficulty: Normal/Hard (Very Hard in Rome2).
    • Preferred vanilla battle difficulty: Very Hard (Normal in Shogun2).
    • Vanilla/Mods ratio = 40/60 (Rome2 track = 90% mods).
    • Mods: EB, RTR, R1DM, SSteel, M2DM, DME, S2DM, Radious R2, DeI, Constantine