Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Feel like you had to spend 79.99 to buy the game and 12.99,7.99 & 2.99 for the rest?

totalwargam3rtotalwargam3r Junior MemberPosts: 11Registered Users
edited November 2013 in The Graveyard
So with this new release of the free for a week DLC (yes I missed it) and the 2.99 blood and gore pack I asked myself the question: Well hell I payed $80 of my hard earned money for this game why isn't it free forever? why a DLC and not just a patch? I mean anyone who buys the game now can get it for around $50 if you know where to look so they could have a better copy of the game then me for 73.97 (that's the $50 of the game plus the $12.99,$7.99 & $2.99 for all the DLC's currently available) and I'm the one who backed it from the start the one who loved it so much I couldn't wait. But Oh No!!! I was disappointed enough (remember the "dnt worry this is just alpha gameplay" line) too play something else for a few weeks and miss the free DLC period.... so whats my punishment $7.99. it just leaves me feeling ripped off and leaves a VERY stale taste in my mouth. Not to mention then asking me to pay $2.99 for what appears to be basically a visual upgrade

so I thought I'd make a thread and see if anyone else feels the same

some clarity:
I'm not here to put the game down or try and start some gamer backlash on the forums but I genuinely feel like this is something that has the potential to push away a huge number of people who don't love the total war series quite as much as some of us do
Post edited by totalwargam3r on

Comments

• MorgothicMorgothic Senior Member Posts: 2,166Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    You cannot blame SEGA or CA for the current DLC trend.

You point one finger at them, but the other three are going the opposite direction...
    Fast like the wind,
    Silent like a forest,
    Intrusive like the fire,
    Immobile like a mountain,
    Under heaven and earth, I alone am feared.
    -Takeda Shingen
    My Movie and Music review blog
  • totalwargam3rtotalwargam3r Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I'm not "blaming" anyone or pointing any fingers. I just feel like having spent $80 on what felt at the time like a sub par game it feels a bit rich to be asked for an extra $23.97
  • MorgothicMorgothic Senior Member Posts: 2,166Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I'm not "blaming" anyone or pointing any fingers. I just feel like having spent $80 on what felt at the time like a sub par game it feels a bit rich to be asked for an extra $23.97

Well, for myself (and many others) the only DLC we have 'had' to pay for is the Blood and Gore, and there are reasons for that beyond it being a mere visual DLC at a negligible price.

At the end of the day they are a business, and I'd say their 'free DLC' week made a notable dent in their possible profits from that DLC, although I'm only guessing.
    Fast like the wind,
    Silent like a forest,
    Intrusive like the fire,
    Immobile like a mountain,
    Under heaven and earth, I alone am feared.
    -Takeda Shingen
    My Movie and Music review blog
  • CaliberCaliber Senior Member Posts: 932Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Well here's the thing...

If you stuck with the devs and pre-ordered, played since launch you would have only had to have paid $3.00 US to have all the DLC.

Greek DLC - Free with pre-order.
    Nomads - Free if you have been playing and/or paying attention to the game.
    Blood - Yes $3.00 but guess what, there are good reasons for it, primarily countries like Germany and Australia wouldn't even sell Rome 2 if it had been released with the game. Why $3.00 and not free? Well your average 14-15 year old doesn't have a job or cash on hand at all times so it helps with the Maturity Rating Enforcement. I mean really.. $3.00 ain't a big deal.
    "Isn't it a lovely thing to live with great courage, and to die living an ever lasting failing. Come Macedonians, why do you retreat, do you want to live forever!? In the name of Zeus, attack!!!"
    - Alexander the Great

Battle of Hydaspes in the far Indus, when his Center was being routed by massed Elephants he rushed in un-supported on his horse Bucephalus.
    edited November 2013
    I really don't understand why people don't use Logic when it comes to DLC.....

DLC is very simple, developers offer additional content after release for price.

What it enables is game developers to add more to games then they would normally be able to, all projects have deadlines and only so much can be done before said deadlines.

It is a win, win.

Developers can make more profit on games that they have already place much time and effort into and we as fans and players can get more content added to our favorite games.

Don't want to pay for it? Don't.

People who complain about DLC are the same people who love to get everything for free.
    "Isn't it a lovely thing to live with great courage, and to die living an ever lasting failing. Come Macedonians, why do you retreat, do you want to live forever!? In the name of Zeus, attack!!!"
    - Alexander the Great

Battle of Hydaspes in the far Indus, when his Center was being routed by massed Elephants he rushed in un-supported on his horse Bucephalus.
    edited November 2013
    Morgothic wrote: »
    Well, for myself (and many others) the only DLC we have 'had' to pay for is the Blood and Gore, and there are reasons for that beyond it being a mere visual DLC at a negligible price.

At the end of the day they are a business, and I'd say their 'free DLC' week made a notable dent in their possible profits from that DLC, although I'm only guessing.

Well I still feel like I'm being punished for not playing a game that didn't feel like it was finished, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As I said I'm not here to say oh this is ****, that is **** do better SEGA or do better CA. However I do feel like this is something that could push a lot of people away from total war and should be discussed somewhere. Originally I tried to find some sort or complaints service but couldn't, so here I am
    edited November 2013
    Well to be honest in a way you are being punished. You jumped on the this game sucks and isn't finished Band Wagon and didn't pay attention to it/boycotted it.

If you had followed the game you would have gotten your content for free. It was a thank you to active players. You weren't active, move on.
    - Alexander the Great

• IceblizzardIceblizzard Senior Member Posts: 159Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Ive spent 63$ dollars for all of the game. Including all dlcs
  • HildorHildor Senior Member The MidlandsPosts: 3,283Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    How did you have to pay $80? Amazon were offering pre-orders for £25
    There'd be something witty here if I could think of it
    edited November 2013
    Caliber wrote: »
    Well here's the thing...

If you stuck with the devs and pre-ordered, played since launch you would have only had to have paid $3.00 US to have all the DLC.

Blood - Yes $3.00 but guess what, there are good reasons for it, primarily countries like Germany and Australia wouldn't even sell Rome 2 if it had been released with the game. Why $3.00 and not free? Well your average 14-15 year old doesn't have a job or cash on hand at all times so it helps with the Maturity Rating Enforcement. I mean really.. $3.00 ain't a big deal.

not true at least on the Australian front they now allow R ratings I know because I live there. All the same you shouldn't have to pay for something just because one or even two country's have some stupid outdated law based on presumptions about gamers age.

As for this idea that releasing (for the player) factions that already exist in the game is somehow extra content. I think its laughable what extra work do you think is involved with that? I'm willing to bet the only reason you cant play them already is so that they could release these DLC's and charge us even more for a game we've already bought
    Hildor wrote: »
    How did you have to pay $80? Amazon were offering pre-orders for £25

$79.99 on steam in Australia... still is

company's seem to love charging us extra this is another problem but one that doesn't really need to be discussed here
  • hedonisthedonist Member Posts: 65Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I don't mind DLC as long as I can afford them. But right now I have $1.52 and need to get my wallet up or discount for the blood hahaha!
  • GelstonGelston Senior Member Posts: 1,357Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    You aren't being punished. The nomad DLC had been, since first spoken of, as a pay DLC. You missed out on the deal, but such is life. There were posts about it not only here, but on the Steam page, and on some other gaming websites. If you missed it, you missed it.
    edited November 2013
    Well to be honest in a way you are being punished. You jumped on the this game sucks and isn't finished Band Wagon and didn't pay attention to it/boycotted it.

If you had followed the game you would have gotten your content for free. It was a thank you to active players. You weren't active, move on.

well im sorry but i think that BS!

Just because the dev's imo released the game to early, and I decided to get back into Empire total war for a bit and give Rome II a chance to catch up to where it should be (which by the way its still not in terms of the AI)

I get slapped with a fee! again, for something I really should already have access to
    Gelston wrote: »
    You aren't being punished. The nomad DLC had been, since first spoken of, as a pay DLC. You missed out on the deal, but such is life. There were posts about it not only here, but on the Steam page, and on some other gaming websites. If you missed it, you missed it.

but the point I'm trying to make is why should we have to pay for it in the first place?
    edited November 2013
    but the point I'm trying to make is why should we have to pay for it in the first place?

Because that is the nature of gaming these days. They create a little bit of new content, charge for it, and prolong the life of the game (as well as keeping a staff paid to work on patches, tweaks, and further new content.)
    edited November 2013
    Because that is the nature of gaming these days. They create a little bit of new content, charge for it, and prolong the life of the game (as well as keeping a staff paid to work on patches, tweaks, and further new content.)

well this just go's back to my previous post.
    As for this idea that releasing (for the player) factions that already exist in the game is somehow extra content. I think its laughable what extra work do you think is involved with that? I'm willing to bet the only reason you cant play them already is so that they could release these DLC's and charge us even more for a game we've already bought

If it is actually new content Ie: a completely new faction not currently in the game, new units, extra parts of the global map, then I have no problem with paying I'd even be quite happy to pay more then what they are asking for these DLC's, but its just not new content it is an advertising and money making gimmick and it feels like a rip off
    edited November 2013
    well this just go's back to my previous post.

It is extra content. The factions existed in the game, sure, but it adds a few unique units. This topic is discussed quite often.

If you just want to play the factions without the extra units added via the paid DLC, there are mods that unlock factions.
  • SnakeplisskenSnakeplissken Senior Member Posts: 132Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    If CA actually completed the game first this wouldent be a big thing. Rome 2 is a beta game at best.
    edited November 2013
    If CA actually completed the game first this wouldent be a big thing. Rome 2 is a beta game at best.

Well, it is up to the consumer to decide whether or not they feel the paid DLC (and the base game, for that matter) is worth their money. I know, a lot of people have said they feel they were lied to and the game was released in a horrible state... But I imagine everyone knows the amount of enjoyment, whether lots or none, that they get from the game is by now... So buy DLC accordingly.
    edited November 2013

my point exactly!!
    Well, it is up to the consumer to decide whether or not they feel the paid DLC (and the base game, for that matter) is worth their money. I know, a lot of people have said they feel they were lied to and the game was released in a horrible state... But I imagine everyone knows the amount of enjoyment, whether lots or none, that they get from the game is by now... So buy DLC accordingly.

so just give up on the game? don't even try and start a discussion about it (you know genuine debate?) "well that's it, that game will never be good lets just leave it as something most people will hate instead of actively trying to fix it"

......... seems legit
  • jkjktotalwarjkjktotalwar Senior Member Posts: 509Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Well here's the thing...

This. I agree with this.. I would have posted it but you beat me to it.
    edited November 2013
    so just give up on the game? don't even try and start a discussion about it (you know genuine debate?) "well that's it, that game will never be good lets just leave it as something most people will hate instead of actively trying to fix it"

......... seems legit

I never said give up on the game. I am saying if you feel the game is in bad shape and you feel the DLC is overpriced, don't purchase it. You can get mods to unlock any faction in the game, you just will not have the units they release with the paid DLCs. I don't know what sort of discussion you want, because I don't see how one exists that hasn't been beaten to death on this forum(and pretty much any other forum for a game that has paid DLC). They are patching the game, and those patches are free.
  • MatmannenMatmannen Senior Member Posts: 1,235Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    To be honest you are not being punished for not playing the game. I all truthfullness; you get what was planned from the start, as in people paying for the nomadic faction pack.

The one week free give away was more of a gift to the loyal fans who went out of their way of playing (beta testing) Rome 2. So you are not being punished, you just wasn't active enaugh to be rewarded for your loyalty, there is a big diffrence.
    edited November 2013
    I never said give up on the game. I am saying if you feel the game is in bad shape and you feel the DLC is overpriced, don't purchase it. You can get mods to unlock any faction in the game, you just will not have the units they release with the paid DLCs. I don't know what sort of discussion you want, because I don't see how one exists that hasn't been beaten to death on this forum(and pretty much any other forum for a game that has paid DLC). They are patching the game, and those patches are free.

No but that seems to be what you were suggesting

don't buy/play the game/DLC's if you don't like what you got on day one when they released the game before they should have. Which in itself isn't a very good argument seeing as I've already bought the game in order to play it and then find out it really should still be in beta

This is maybe forgivable from a smaller development company (like Uber for example with PA which is getting dangerously close to release and still feels like it has a bit to go) who might just not have the resources needed to finish a project with out going to the market, and end up releasing with their fingers crossed hoping gamers can see the potential, and will back them till the game is ready (by buying the game not DLC's for an unfinished game). But with resources as big as SEGA and CA combined I doubt this was the case and again it ends up feeling like a shameless cash grab
    Matmannen wrote: »
    To be honest you are not being punished for not playing the game. I all truthfullness; you get what was planned from the start, as in people paying for the nomadic faction pack.

The one week free give away was more of a gift to the loyal fans who went out of their way of playing (beta testing) Rome 2. So you are not being punished, you just wasn't active enaugh to be rewarded for your loyalty, there is a big diffrence.

If this was beta then release it as beta (again like Uber with Planetary Annihilation who are currently selling Beta access for $60 on steam) don't sell me a beta for $80 by telling me its a finished game (and I have been as you put it going out of my way to play the beta, just not for the last 2 weeks yet I nor anyone else who has had other things to do for the last 2 weeks is still not given this so called reward)
  • MatmannenMatmannen Senior Member Posts: 1,235Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    If this was beta then release it as beta (again like Uber with Planetary Annihilation who are currently selling Beta access for $60 on steam) don't sell me a beta for $80 by telling me its a finished game (and I have been as you put it going out of my way to play the beta, just not for the last 2 weeks yet I nor anyone else who has had other things to do for the last 2 weeks is still not given this so called reward)

Calm down; the beta part was only irony, it was a little joke about the state of the game...

I think you should really tell people what currency you are talking about, $ usually means USD, but I thought that in the US Rome 2 cost about 60$, I preorderd my copy for 54€ for example. Anyways, if you decided not to play the game, then consequently you missed out on the oppertunity to get your free copy. CA didn't keep it a secret you know, it was all over youtube, steam, twitter, facebook.

The give away was focused on the loyal fans. The ones who cared enaugh to take part of news, and perticipate in the forum to help with the game patching. You are obviously not part of that group; better luck next time... :rolleyes:
  • easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Posts: 2,358Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I really don't understand why people don't use Logic when it comes to DLC.....

DLC is very simple, developers offer additional content after release for price.

What it enables is game developers to add more to games then they would normally be able to, all projects have deadlines and only so much can be done before said deadlines.

It is a win, win.

Developers can make more profit on games that they have already place much time and effort into and we as fans and players can get more content added to our favorite games.

Don't want to pay for it? Don't.

People who complain about DLC are the same people who love to get everything for free.

the reason this is so hard for you to comprehend is because you're so egocentric in your thinking you can't conceive of the possibility anyone views this any differently than you
    This space intentionally left blank.
    edited November 2013
    Matmannen wrote: »
    Calm down; the beta part was only irony, it was a little joke about the state of the game...

I think you should really tell people what currency you are talking about, $ usually means USD, but I thought that in the US Rome 2 cost about 60$, I preorderd my copy for 54€ for example. Anyways, if you decided not to play the game, then consequently you missed out on the oppertunity to get your free copy. CA didn't keep it a secret you know, it was all over youtube, steam, twitter, facebook.

The give away was focused on the loyal fans. The ones who cared enaugh to take part of news, and perticipate in the forum to help with the game patching. You are obviously not part of that group; better luck next time... :rolleyes:

I am talking about AUD$ (Australian) but seeing as the exchange rate for the AU Dollar is currently 0.95 US Dollar and it seems every few weeks it moves up to parody then back down again I don't feel it really makes that much difference to me

and quite frankly I think the fact that I've been willing to sit here for the past 2 hours at 3AM doing nothing but defend my position against a whole host of random fanboys with the view of hopefully generating some change and ultimately improving the game proves that I am as you put it a "Loyal Fan"

I think the problem is most the people on this forum have already decided they are happy to blindly give as much of their time and money as SEGA and CA ask (despite being "lied to") just to get a finished game

Which in all fairness I should have seen coming

Anyone who reads this thread and feels the same please find a way to contact CA/SEGA (or any other dev's that have made you feel like this) I know I will. Maybe it will make a difference
  • easytargeteasytarget Senior Member Posts: 2,358Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    If there's any change you hope to affect regarding CA/Sega I'd certainly suggest you follow your last line of advice.

These forums exist so fan boys and haters can go at each other making a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • MrKaupoMrKaupo Senior Member Posts: 237Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    $79.99 on steam in Australia... still is

company's seem to love charging us extra this is another problem but one that doesn't really need to be discussed here
    well thank you for 30$extra , hope you enjoy kangaroos and weed.
  • Crusader76Crusader76 Senior Member Posts: 862Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    If the base game was as good as it should've been, I would've had no problem giving CA another £2 for the Blood pack. No problem at all.
    SonOfCrusader76 - the Son has become The Father. :D

CA, Open Betas are absolutely imperative for the future of this once great series. That is Open Betas - not ones that are only open to those who pre order!

Stop asking why people are angry! We don't like paying full price for a beta product - that's why we're angry!

It had to be Rome 2, didn't it CA? Had to be Rome 2 where you finally dropped the ball. :(
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 7,305Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    ...People who complain about DLC are the same people who love to get everything for free.

Uh ...no. They're the ones who live off others; one way or another.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
This discussion has been closed.