Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Radeon R9 290x and Rome 2

Comments

• cgriffith90cgriffith90 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 20
    edited November 2013
    Oh and my name is Geezus, I have the one that owns like so many games lol. Clay is my name, United States Clarksville .
  • XerumXerum Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 21
    edited November 2013
    How do you do UBR mode?

There is a really small switch on your graphic card.
    Picture of the switch
  • alQamaralQamar Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,904
    edited November 2013
    Hi there anyone with a 290(x) will be lucky to install the latest drivers from AMD found here (german page but drivers are multilanguage anyway

http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/treiber/grafik/amd-catalyst-komplettpaket/

The lastest driver modifies the GPU cooler control and allow noticeable higher performance.
    edited November 2013
    This fix has nothing to do with the described problem.
  • Lord_Maximus77#3771Lord_Maximus77#3771 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLRegistered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights Posts: 3,380
    edited November 2013
    Hi guys. AMD released a new beta driver yesterday (13.11 beta 9.2).

Although it does not mention anything specific for Rome II it might be worth checking out.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=383295
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited November 2013
    Xerum wrote: »
    This fix has nothing to do with the described problem.

it will likely raise your fps on any game but unlikely solve the main issue described.
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys I wanted to let ya know would having Intel Core 5 be the reason behind the low frame rates? Like is ROME 2 using the INTEL 5 as graphic? And should I just wait to buy another radeon r9 290x?
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys I wanted to let ya know would having Intel Core 5 be the reason behind the low frame rates?
    Like is ROME 2 using the INTEL 5 as graphic? And should I just wait to buy another radeon r9 290x?

To answer your question whether the game is using the in CPU iGPU HD Graphics or the dedicated GPU I would ask you to run a benchmark with any preset (e.g. extreme / ultra) and post the min avg and max fps and also your GPU and CPU model.
  • HuntingDogHuntingDog Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,470
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys I wanted to let ya know would having Intel Core 5 be the reason behind the low frame rates? Like is ROME 2 using the INTEL 5 as graphic? And should I just wait to buy another radeon r9 290x?

Most likely not, or do u actually have a monitor cable attached to your iGPU on the motherboard?
  • wintermute1984wintermute1984 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    I'm glad to find this thread because I was incredibly angry/upset when I installed my new shiny R290 (with new 13.11 v9.2 beta drivers) only to find out that zoomed in it gave me worse performance (8-10 fps max) than my "old" geforce 670GTX. I read every post in this forum and used every trick I could but no dice. I'm incredibly depressed and I'm not even sure CA is looking into this problem given this is such a new card. I really don't know what else to do but post this (I don't do the forum generally) and hope for this issue to get resolved by AMD or CA.

PS. I have 4570 i5 3.2 GHz Cpu and I know that this is not a CPU bottleneck issue, since my old GPU gave me a higher performance at the same settings.
    edited November 2013
    @wintermute1984

Did u try the GPU-Z rendertest trick? It seems that the 290 cards are trying to be 'too intelligent'. When u zoom in, the GPU utilization drops to about 50%. The AMD driver detects that and clocks the card lower which makes the framerate go down even further.

If u run some GPU test program in the background u eliminate the lack of GPU utilization. U can try to run the GPU-Z render test with lowest process priority (can be set in Windows - Taskmanager):
    290X core gpu clock is based on the workload of the GPU. In windows it is 300 MHz, in BF4 1000 MHz and in Rome 2 it depends. On campaign map utilization is 99% - 1000 MHz and in battles 20-50% - 300-700 MHz.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the reply HuntingDog, yeah I tried that solution as well, it doesn't solve the problem though. I tested the Battle of Raphia and as soon as I zoom in and hover over my army the frame rate drops like a rock. Again this was a non-issue with my old graphics card. I guess I'll bring this up in AMD forums as well since all the replies in this forum indicate this might be a card/driver related issue.
    edited November 2013
    @wintermute1984

Does your graphics card downclock during that drop? If not then it might be a setting that the AMD card doesn't like. For example vegetation transparency and high DOF run very bad on AMD cards.

In the meantime u could try to reduce CPU utilization when zooming in. For this, set shadows to medium (or even low) and unit detail to very high or high. And in the worst case unit size to large or medium.

Ah, another thing. Since patch 5, I have really bad performance even with just a single (because patch 5 also broke crossfire support) 7970, especially when zoomed in. When I use my patch 4 Rome 2 backup, performance is back to normal. So it could also be related to patch 5 changes affecting some AMD configurations.
    edited November 2013
    HuntingDog wrote: »
    Most likely not, or do u actually have a monitor cable attached to your iGPU on the motherboard?

No but when I do switch the HDMI to the Motherboard graphics the game actually runs okay. Weird as hell. Then I switch to graphics and get issues even in low settings.
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the reply HuntingDog, yeah I tried that solution as well, it doesn't solve the problem though. I tested the Battle of Raphia and as soon as I zoom in and hover over my army the frame rate drops like a rock. Again this was a non-issue with my old graphics card. I guess I'll bring this up in AMD forums as well since all the replies in this forum indicate this might be a card/driver related issue.

I am right there with you wintermute, I am not sure what the problems is. I guess we need to bring it to amd forums, have you made a thread about it yet? When I had my 660 gtx ti I had no issues running this game but now it is just terrible.
    edited November 2013
    I just created a thread on amd driver forums. I did a fair share of programming myself and I understand software development can be tricky, but not being able torun a software well beyond the recommended specs on the box three months after its release date is frustrating to say the least.
    edited November 2013
    @wintermute1984

Could you log the sensor values of your graphic card to a file while you are playing a battle and upload it somewhere ? GPUZ has such a option. I would like to compare it with my card. I do not understand, why my trick is not working for you.
    Without any extra software my fps break in to under 10, when in zoom in and have many units on the screen (no battle) or when many units start to fight, there it is unimportant if i zoom in or not. With software i get it at least to over 20 fps in big battles.

My settings in Rome2:
    Borderless window mode @1920x1080
    FXAA: on
    Texture Quality: ultra
    Texture filter: 16x af
    Shadows: medium
    Water: Extreme
    Sky: Extreme
    Shader model: 5.0
    particle effects: extreme
    vegetation alpha: off
    unit size: large
    building details: extreme
    unit details: extreme
    trees: extreme
    gras: extreme
    ground: extreme
    depth of field: high
    vsynv: off
    ssao: off
    blood: on
    distortion effects: on
    Vignette: off
    Unlimited Video Memory: on
    edited November 2013
    @wintermute1984

Could you log the sensor values of your graphic card to a file while you are playing a battle and upload it somewhere ? GPUZ has such a option. I would like to compare it with my card. I do not understand, why my trick is not working for you.
    Without any extra software my fps break in to under 10, when in zoom in and have many units on the screen (no battle) or when many units start to fight, there it is unimportant if i zoom in or not. With software i get it at least to over 20 fps in big battles.

My settings in Rome2:
    Borderless window mode @1920x1080
    FXAA: on
    Texture Quality: ultra
    Texture filter: 16x af
    Shadows: medium
    Water: Extreme
    Sky: Extreme
    Shader model: 5.0
    particle effects: extreme
    vegetation alpha: off
    unit size: large
    building details: extreme
    unit details: extreme
    trees: extreme
    gras: extreme
    ground: extreme
    depth of field: high
    vsynv: off
    ssao: off
    blood: on
    distortion effects: on
    Vignette: off
    Unlimited Video Memory: on

@Xerum

The zip folder I attached contains two text files, they are GPU-Z sensor logs throughout the battle of Raphia with the exact same settings you posted. In one file, the PCI-E rendering test is on and in the other it's off. Essentially, I started the logging, alt tabbed to Rome 2 and directly started the battle of Raphia, played the whole battle, and after the battle alt tabbed out and stopped logging.

You're correct that leaving rendering test on increases the framerate but it still really gets choppy when zoomed in especially when the armies clash. Let me know if the test/files are up to snuff, if not I'll run the test again with different parameters/procedure.
    edited November 2013
    Interesting logs. Was the Render Test really on ?
    When i switch it on, then my gpu usage is at 99% all the time in Rome 2. When i look at your log file i see much downclocking.
    You run rome 2 in fullscreen mode ?
    If so, maybe the test halts/pauses when it is not in foreground. I run Rome 2 in borderless windowed mode.
    edited November 2013
    Oh yeah it was in fullscreen, to tell you the truth I don't know how to put it in borderless windowed mode, (i'm assuming you don't mean just the windowed mode checkbox in the game), would you mind explaining how to do that?

PS.: I'm going to try the solution mentioned in this website, is it something along these lines?
    edited November 2013
    It is one way. I prefer Gamers Window Relocator, alternative ShiftWindow.
    For testing, the standard windowed mode should work too.
    edited November 2013
    UPDATE: I just changed my settings to LOW and for some odd reason the FPS is around 40 but 10 fps when zoomed in, is this suppose to happen?

Does having two soundscard affect it any?
    edited November 2013
    have you posted your DXdiag yet?
    edited November 2013
    Just tested the new beta patch 7. High fps (with high gpu usage) when zoomed out and no big fighting going on, but terrible low fps (4-8 fps) when fighting and zoomed in with ~10% gpu usage resulting in 300 - 400 MHz gpu clock.
    Activating GPU Render Test in Background raises fps to a "playable" rate, but costs performance. So, no improvements noticeable.

Edit:
    Just found the right way to force max clock on AMD GPUs. Tried MSI Afterburner before, but did not set the UnofficialOverclockingMode to: without powerplay support.
    Right way to force max clock:
    1. Change the UnofficialOverclockingMode to without powerplay support
    2. Raise GPU Core Clock and RAM Clock by 1 MHz
    3. Apply settings.
    It is not official supported and you are doing it at your own risk. Card should be in Ubermode or Fan speed should match clock rates. For 290X it is 55% in Ubermode.
    edited November 2013
    Holy ****, Xerum, you're a friggin genius! It works, I have no idea how you even came up with this solution, thanks so much. From this though this looks like it's a driver problem on AMD's end.
    edited November 2013
    Just tested the new beta patch 7. High fps (with high gpu usage) when zoomed out and no big fighting going on, but terrible low fps (4-8 fps) when fighting and zoomed in with ~10% gpu usage resulting in 300 - 400 MHz gpu clock.
    Activating GPU Render Test in Background raises fps to a "playable" rate, but costs performance. So, no improvements noticeable.

Edit:
    Just found the right way to force max clock on AMD GPUs. Tried MSI Afterburner before, but did not set the UnofficialOverclockingMode to: without powerplay support.
    3. Apply settings.
    It is not official supported and you are doing it at your own risk. Card should be in Ubermode or Fan speed should match clock rates. For 290X it is 55% in Ubermode.

How much do you gain this way on extreme settings in the benchmark?
    edited November 2013
    No difference in fps when benchmarking on extreme with forcing max clock and without. FPS decrease only when many units on the screen are fighting (with many i mean 10 vs 10) or in a special zoom level where cpu is under heavy load.

@wintermute1984
    I am still thinking, that it is a rome 2 related problem. The best graphic card with the best driver cannot render frames when the cpu is limiting. When nothing is happening, like you just move your troops in a far zoom level, then cpu load is a bit lower and gpu usage at 99%. But when something is happening gpu usage drops to 10%.

At least i could help and play rome 2 with solid fps instead of slide show.
    edited November 2013
    thank you Xerum
    edited November 2013

Edit:
    3. Apply settings.

DUDE YOU JUST FIXED IT FOR ME! I am getting 60 FPS with EVERYTING ON MAX INCLUDING BATTLE SCENES. AWEOSOME!!! I AM SO HAPPY NOW. Must be a driver issue? Regardless, no lag what so ever even on EXTREME and vegetation alpha on, and everything set to 5080 x 1080. Dude you are my hero, let everyone know about this fix man!
  • Northern_IllyrianNorthern_Illyrian Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 341
    edited November 2013
    First time I'm in this thread because I'm about to upgrade to two 290's, but I gotta ask seems that most of you guys in here didn't seem to know the issues the 290 cards have with their inconsistencies as far as clock speeds which results in bad performance at times. Even the pros on all the blogs and websites who have been benchmarking and testing this card for a while now, it's all they could talk about. Due to partially driver issues, and also their really bad plastic coolers they use

anyway, now that Xerum mentioned it you guys are aware of this now which is good

me personally I have two Arctic Cooling Hybrid coolers I will be putting on my 290's because you guys should know they run at 90c's + on full 100% load, and that's not cool.... if you have enough money for a 290x, another $100 shouldn't be an issue, definitely check these out

4850_37_arctic_accelero_hybrid_aio_video_card_cooler_review.jpg