Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Radeon R9 290x and Rome 2

13»

Comments

• nick-rorschachnick-rorschach Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited December 2013
    I have the same problems with the 290x. Is the only fix locking clocks at 100%? Because that is not a fix as far as i'm concerned.

This is insane.
  • aquilineaquiline Member Registered Users Posts: 86
    edited December 2013
    ok so i just purchased a radeon r9 290, to replace my hd7850,,, with my 7850 with ultra settings at 1080p my fps is at avg40fps-min25fps,,and as i put my 290 it rise up to avg75fps-min40fps,,but here all of it started, when i zoom in at my 290, specially when it clashed it seems that im lagging pretty badly and the sound effects too,,which i didn't experience in my 7850, any advice or experience about it??

cpu-i7 2600k
    ram-8gb
    gpu-r9 290
    "If you want to hurt someone, do it with confidence! dont insult him with your half-hearted sympathies..."
  • XerumXerum Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 21
    edited December 2013
    aquiline wrote: »
    ok so i just purchased a radeon r9 290, to replace my hd7850,,, with my 7850 with ultra settings at 1080p my fps is at avg40fps-min25fps,,and as i put my 290 it rise up to avg75fps-min40fps,,but here all of it started, when i zoom in at my 290, specially when it clashed it seems that im lagging pretty badly and the sound effects too,,which i didn't experience in my 7850, any advice or experience about it??

cpu-i7 2600k
    ram-8gb
    gpu-r9 290

At the moment you can only force your gpu to run at max clock to avoid this stuttering.
    Xerum wrote: »
    Just tested the new beta patch 7. High fps (with high gpu usage) when zoomed out and no big fighting going on, but terrible low fps (4-8 fps) when fighting and zoomed in with ~10% gpu usage resulting in 300 - 400 MHz gpu clock.
    Activating GPU Render Test in Background raises fps to a "playable" rate, but costs performance. So, no improvements noticeable.

Edit:
    Just found the right way to force max clock on AMD GPUs. Tried MSI Afterburner before, but did not set the UnofficialOverclockingMode to: without powerplay support.
    Right way to force max clock:
    1. Change the UnofficialOverclockingMode to without powerplay support
    2. Raise GPU Core Clock and RAM Clock by 1 MHz
    3. Apply settings.
    It is not official supported and you are doing it at your own risk. Card should be in Ubermode or Fan speed should match clock rates. For 290X it is 55% in Ubermode.
    edited December 2013
    Xerum wrote: »
    At the moment you can only force your gpu to run at max clock to avoid this stuttering.

thanks it fixed the problem as of now, will be waiting for an official fix though whether its from ca or amd :)
    "If you want to hurt someone, do it with confidence! dont insult him with your half-hearted sympathies..."
    edited December 2013
    just saw a gameplay of rome 2 on youtube with r9 290, he's running the game smoothly without a problem,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKzzw65lWg
  • FaberoneFaberone Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited December 2013
    aquiline wrote: »
    just saw a gameplay of rome 2 on youtube with r9 290, he's running the game smoothly without a problem,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKzzw65lWg

I have the same problem
    I have an in 4770k, 16 Gb ram And the "famous" asus amd r9 290
    But I can't play because of very low frame rate. Only at medium-high graphic settings I have a decent frame rate
    Which is the problem?
    edited January 2014
    i hope CA doesn't think of this as a permanent solution to the R9 290/290x fps drop issues
  • RakwardRakward Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2015
    Is this card working properly now? I'm having doubts about buying a new videocard because I was recommended a R9 290 (being best for my budget) but I've seen a lot of topics about that card not working well for this game. Don't like the fact that the only way to run the game properly is a weird workaround. I'd rather have official support
  • cgriffith90cgriffith90 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 20
    edited July 2015
    Rakward wrote: »
    Is this card working properly now? I'm having doubts about buying a new videocard because I was recommended a R9 290 (being best for my budget) but I've seen a lot of topics about that card not working well for this game. Don't like the fact that the only way to run the game properly is a weird workaround. I'd rather have official support

They have done a lot of bug fixes and optimization since this post, and since I posted this a while ago, I have since upgraded to a r9 295x2. And let me tell you, I get better fps with a r290x than I did with the r9 295x2. But the r9 290x is great, but if I could suggest something, buy the r9 390x instead.
  • Ironside12Ironside12 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,127
    edited July 2015
    They have done a lot of bug fixes and optimization since this post, and since I posted this a while ago, I have since upgraded to a r9 295x2. And let me tell you, I get better fps with a r290x than I did with the r9 295x2. But the r9 290x is great, but if I could suggest something, buy the r9 390x instead.

Disable the Crossfire and just tell it to use one GPU.
    Sjiriki wrote: »
    Balancing is a far more intricate thing than looking at who wins a 1v1 fight.

My Build:
    CPU- i7-4790k Devils Canyon @4.6Ghz
    Cooler: Corsair H110i GT
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    PSU- Corsair 1200i 1200W
    GPU-R9 290X Sapphire Tri-X
    Boot Drive: Intel 530 series 240GB SSD
    Game Drive: Intel 730 series 480GB SSD
    Storage Drive: WD Black 2TB HDD