Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Where we are with Patches, an update from CA (6th Nov)

Jack Lusted CAJack Lusted CA Creative AssemblyPosts: 848CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
edited January 2014 in Total War: ROME II
Hello everyone,

This post is an update of where we are with the patches and updates for Rome II and where we are going. We know there has been a lot of talk and rumours about Patch 7 being the last patch and we just wanted to state again that Patch 7 is not the last patch. We are going to support Rome II for a long, long time with regular patches, updates, free content and DLC as well, as we already talked about here.

Patch 7
This is going to be a substantial patch and you will be hearing more about this soon. We’ve not talked about specific fixes yet just because we want to make sure that everything we want is making it into the patch. There will be a public beta soon, though not this week, and we cannot confirm dates.

Performance
We are aware of the issues with performance that some of you are having including high-end rigs and SLI/Xfire support and are working to address them. They remain the single biggest priority for our graphics team and while your specific issue may not all be fixed in a single patch, rest assured we know this is a problem for our users and we are certainly not ignoring it.

We are still seeing a lot of people with issues that are unrelated to game performance (such as outdated mods) and problems that have been fixed already – please visit the support forums as your first port of call.

Siege Battles & AI
Another hot topic that has been talked about, you will see some fixes and improvements in Patch 7 and more in subsequent patches. We are doing a lot of work on this area.

Future patches
Going forward we will continue to improve all areas of the game, from AI to performance and balancing on the campaign map and in battles. We will go into more detail on this in the future, as and when we have information for you. We want to make sure that what we tell you will happen, so no concrete dates for now I’m afraid.

Modding
We have not forgotten about modding either. There will be a modding summit before the end of the year and more news on that soon.

I hope this post reassures you all that we are committed to improving and supporting Rome II for a long time to come, but of course we know we can only prove that to you with game updates.
Post edited by Jack Lusted CA on
New Content Team Director

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Comments

• SukulakuSukulaku Senior Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I was joking about returning to the game at patch 9. I guess that's not too funny anymore :P Oh well, better late than never.
  • Private VassalloPrivate Vassallo Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited November 2013
  • blitzsnakeblitzsnake Senior Member Posts: 374Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Can you shed more details on why Rome 2's performance is so terrible? Why are people having so many fps issues with it? It would be nice to have some sort of dev blog like Planetside 2 has. But I guess that's too much to ask for.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsliQUw2Wxc

That's what I'm talking about.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the comms.
  • VitoTWVitoTW Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    News are always appreciated.
    Faber est suae quisque fortunae
    Appius Claudius Caecus
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 3,842Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Hi Jack!

Are going to put in the vanilla game the suggestions and information you will gather in the modding summit?
    CA, plz dont forget to improve UNIT VARIETY & DIVERSITY!

PONTUS Additional PONTIC LEGIONARY.
    ARMENIA *Additional unique and native melee infantry.
    *Diversity of ELITE CATAPHRACT.
    http://peopleofar.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/armenian-and-parthian-cataphracts.jpg
    ARDIAEI Additional ELITE SICA unit.
    NAVAL BATTLE SHIPS Improve diversity to ships.
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,311Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the update.
    Despite the problems at release I find this to be a brilliantly designed simulation. Great job.
    I know many want balance and fantasy elements but I think this game is far superior to previous ones in this regard, as I dislike ahistorical balance and fantasy units. Again, great job IMO.

Glad to hear it will be fine-tuned. Looking forward to the patches.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • Jack Lusted CAJack Lusted CA Creative Assembly Posts: 848CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited November 2013
    jamreal18 wrote: »
    Hi Jack!

Are going to put in the vanilla game the suggestions and information you will gather in the modding summit?

The modding summit will be an poortunity for us to meet modders and talk about how we will be supporting the modding community, the same as the Shogun 2 mod summit we held.
    New Content Team Director

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • OlekOlek Senior Member Posts: 1,676Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    That all looks and sounds great until you get to the bottom of the post and read this :p
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Darius rage quit at the battle of Gaugamela because Alexanders Phalanx were OP.
  • lesith006lesith006 Senior Member Posts: 141Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thank you no patch this week at least I won't spend this week checking this forum every day hoping for the patch.

I m not being sarcastic I really appreciate the feedback seems promising for the future.

See you next week back to our shogun 2 mpc vs campaign !

Kepp up the good work
  • postembr2postembr2 Senior Member Posts: 349Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    "soon" means,
    - this month?
    - this year?

Unticked this week, i didnt read the post thoroughly.
    While im sad no patch, at least it feels better to have at least some positive info saying not this week. Its better than the generic "we cant deny or confirm anything".
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 6,971Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited November 2013
    postembr2 wrote: »
    "soon" means,
    - this week?
    - this month?
    - this year?

It's done when it's done. Quite simple.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • AohLegendAohLegend Senior Member Posts: 2,257Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    postembr2 wrote: »
    "soon" means,
    - this week?
    - this month?
    - this year?
    Well he said it won't be coming this week. I think it'll be next week or the week after.
  • iceniiicenii Senior Member The PhilippinesPosts: 1,033Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Hi Jack any idea atm of how big the next patch will be, each patch has been bigger than the previous in regards to the # of fixes and the size in Mb. And are you working only on patch 7 atm or is there a team working on later patches as well.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
  • VastatorVastator Senior Member Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I bet that almost nothing will be done about performance.
    Disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Also because i don't work for The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Creator of "Vastator Unit Style" for Shogun 2: Here or here
  • mnachaatmnachaat Junior Member Posts: 25Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    So I will keep on playing Battlefield 4 & Assassin Creed 4 till at least patch 9 is released, will not waste my time on a non complete game...
  • postembr2postembr2 Senior Member Posts: 349Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    GrudgeNL wrote: »
    It's done when it's done. Quite simple.

This is not an answer at all. If you contract a programmer to do a job you need, you pay he 100% on start, and when he deliver a half baked code, you would accept such excuse "its done when its done"?
    When you go to a mechanist to fix your car and ask "when it will be fixed" would you accept "Its done when its done"?
  • AquizarAquizar Member Posts: 62Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Awsome. but I am going to just mention an immediate problem with campaign building AI not yet perfectly managing like demolishing or switching builds to something more aprop. same goes for high tier unit stacks. not happening..till player deposes off their weak stacks...Just to keep it under radar.
    thanks
  • BonhommeBonhomme Senior Member Posts: 252Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I hope this post reassures you all that we are committed to improving and supporting Rome II for a long time to come
    No.
    but of course we know we can only prove that to you with game updates.
    Yes.

You talked about fixing issues (performance, AI, ...) and balance.
    Nothing about improvements, about adding/removing/modifying features and dealing with problems that lie elsewhere than in a bug between code lines.
  • HuntingDogHuntingDog Senior Member Posts: 1,120Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    We are aware of the issues with SLI/Xfire support and are working to address them. They remain the single biggest priority for our graphics team

The funny thing is that Xfire worked perfectly in patch 4 and was broken in patch 5, lol. Still waiting for an acknowledgement of that though.
    2xGTX970 / 2x7970, 4770K@4.2Ghz, 32GB RAM, Win7-64
  • rjacko10rjacko10 Senior Member Posts: 288Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Jack for stepping up and running the gauntlet.
  • StrangorthStrangorth Senior Member Posts: 120Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Well I was reluctant to get excited about patch 7 as I mistakenly thought CA hyped patch 6. This thread shows actual hype for 7 so let's hope we see some substantial AI and performance fixes rather than just a few tweaks.
  • DiavolosDiavolos Senior Member Posts: 208Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Can't wait for patch 7 and future patches, also i want to see what will come out of the modding summit.
  • KizeKize Senior Member Posts: 123Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I am, in all honesty, just hoping they reverse 90% of what they said on the Q&A thread that lead to 90pages of ranting (myself included) on the choices they are making over at CA.

Just do that and your game might recover... although the other night I did see 28,000 people online and that was well over double average during that time frame. But very sad this game is so low on players each day and it is brand new.

1.) DOTA - 200k+ easily each day during my game time
    2.) Team Fortress 2 - 50k+ easily each day during my game time.
    15 or 20.) Rome 2 - lucky to hit 14k a day and much much newer than anything above it.
    Relations with CA Faction:
    Campaign Map +120
    Sound: +130
    Fight animations: +50
    Released DLC: +70
    Previous Total War releases: +450
    Patch 1-12: +80

Alliance with Sega: -300
    Treaties with Steam: -20
    AI: - 150
    No Family or Skill Tree: - 50
    Civil War/Political System: -100
    No Road/Defense Improvements: -80
    Glitches/Bugs/Desynch Issues: -150
    Balancing Issues: -40
    Lack Intro/Agent Videos: -40
    CA Q&A Thread: -50

This Week: :mad: Hostile -80 :mad:
  • StoerdoenStoerdoen Senior Member Posts: 329Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    ah another anger management intervention which means playing S2 and NTW a few weeks longer before installing this game again. At least i wont have to log in to the forum for the next week, and my boss wil be happy to see me doing some work again instead of lingering on the forum
    Rome Total war 2 reflects the Roman politics:
    Minimum effort for maximum profit and a lot of political talk to cover it up.
  • cedyranocedyrano Member Posts: 46Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the update ! make me think patch 7 will be a good one and ... next week is my birthday :0)
  • [G-Shock][G-Shock] Senior Member Posts: 275Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    When they talk with us, it's reassuring and brings us to encourage them.
    When they don't talk... their silence casts a shadow over the good progress made by patches so far.

My attention fell onto his sig: if he is a Senior Designed and his words don't express Sega's or CA's views or opinions what should we do with his personal statement? Fry it? :P
  • Trish CATrish CA Guest Posts: 635Unregistered / Not Logged In
    edited November 2013
    Vastator wrote: »
    I bet that almost nothing will be done about performance.
    Patch 7 will primarily focus on performance and A.I. issues being fixed. Amongst other things.
  • friendlydogfriendlydog Senior Member Posts: 435Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    so no major fixes in patch 7. fair enough.
  • mcoffmmcoffm Senior Member Posts: 660Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Trish for tellin us.