Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

DirectX Error in Windows 8: Crash to Desktop

tailwindstailwinds Junior MemberPosts: 3Registered Users
edited November 2013 in SHOGUN: Total War
I have probably investigated this problem beyond the realm of reasonableness but I feel as though I am getting close to identifying the problem.

My specs

I am running a 32-bit version of Windows 8.1 Pro (Directx 11) on a Compaq Presario c700 with an Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz processor, 2GB Ram, and a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) display adapter with an up to date 8.15.10.2697 driver from Intel.

Here's the problem...

Shogun Total War originally worked on this machine without any hiccups a couple years ago. I believe it ran fine on Windows 7 but I can't be sure if I was using 7 or Vista at the time. I have since upgraded to Windows 8 and upon starting the application, the game flashes between different resolutions and black screens about 4-5 times and then loads the first two videos before the front end/main menu screen. As soon as it is about to load the main menu, it crashes to the desktop with the error "Shog_CPP.exe has stopped working." I checked the error log file and it reports

C:\Shogun\Main3d_1.cpp(3787) : DirectX call : E_NOTIMPL (UNSUPPORTED)
Errors for session started: Tue Nov 05 19:19:09 2013

Before recognizing that it has to be some incompatibility with DirectX 11, I deleted my K-Lite and Combined Community Codec packs after hoping it was some issue with a sound file. I also tested the game by disabling my sound driver and it still would not run successfully. I've reinstalled this game many times and that did not help. I cannot run the game in software mode because I can't get to the main menu to do so. I've tried just about every possible solution I've read buried in all sorts of CA related forums and none of them have worked. I have tried researching what this DirectX call error is and can only surmise that my version of DirectX is incompatible and (UNSUPPORTED), preventing the game from running. I've tried setting the application target file to run previous versions of directx but am not sure that the method actually works. I tried adding -dxlevel 7 and -directxlevel 7 and a few other like combinations that only brought up line errors before launching the game as usual. I've been fruitless in my efforts to figure out if there is a 3rd party or previous driver I could install to allow the game to run properly. Every windows compatibility option fails. If you have any ideas or leads, I would greatly appreciate them. This is my favorite game of all time and I feel like I'm getting close to the answer!

-tailwinds
Post edited by tailwinds on

Comments

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,597Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    I have run Shogun on Win7 64 bit (and DX11 but no 11.1 since it is not available for W7), with the only issue of crashing to desktop when pressing escape at the campaign map to return the main menu, which I solved by using the WinXP mode. Note that this was executed using either a HD 6870 (dead) or a HD 3870, not Nvidia or Intel graphics. (I never bothered to solve the flashing menu background problem since the XP days.)

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=913803

Considering the date, I don't think it is a DX issue. Rather, it is a driver issue. Note that Intel's graphic drivers are more badly slammed when compared to AMD/ATI and Nvidia. Both green and red's drivers regularly get complaints (depending on which camp you speak to), but not as badly as Intel's. Circa 5-8 years ago, Intel graphic users had little luck getting Shogun and Medieval to run; Nvidia users joined the camp a couple of years ago.

With regards to codec packs, I'm not sure if there is a reason to have both Klite and CCCP installed at the same time. I only use CCCP, even though ffdShow is slow.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • tailwindstailwinds Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Thank you Maeda for replying. I'm a little inexperienced with updating drivers and know that I should uninstall my current driver, boot into safe mode and use a program like Driver Cleaner to purge the old driver, but I'm struggling to figure out which driver I would need to install to get the game up and running without causing problems in other applications. Any recommendations? Everything I've found on the forums is usually in regard to ATI/AMD drivers without mention of integrated intel chipsets.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,597Registered Users
    edited November 2013
    Can you remember the version of the driver that you used with your earlier copy of Windows?. The sad thing is that sometimes, new drivers break old games, and it can be a bad thing since you might need new drivers for new programs...

Sorry, but I think you might have to play around with different driver versions to figure it out. I don't have Win 8 (and am resisting), so I can't figure out the issues faced by Win 8 users are due to Win 8 itself, and how (or if) they are different from driver issues.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!