Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Movie Discussion & Recommendations

Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior MemberToronto, CanadaPosts: 5,918Registered Users
edited November 2015 in Off Topic General
Got any new trailers you want to share? Want to post a review of a movie? Any old classics you'd like to mention? Any and all theatrical type movies are welcome here!

First up I thought I'd share this pretty awesome looking Sci-Fi mech/Groundhog Day movie.
My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
Post edited by Ace_Blazer on

Comments

• Half_Life_ExpertHalf_Life_Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,686Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    that looks like an epicly awesome sci fi.

When I saw all those transports flying over Dover, I thought "Future re-run of D-Day?"

and when it was clear that things were going badly I thought "and they made the mistake of hitting Pas de Calais? Don't these guys read the history books?"

LOL

EDIT: and I just found out it's being released on June 6 2014, the 70th anniversary of D-Day. Interesting.
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Senior Member Posts: 2,429Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    So who's going to go see The Desolation of Smaug? My girlfriend got us tickets to the 18th for 3D HFR. I was really impressed by the first Hobbit movie in HFR, it felt like watching a play happening on a stage right in front of you. Took my eyes a while to get used to it though.

220px-The_Hobbit_-_The_Desolation_of_Smaug_theatrical_poster.jpg
    "I just traded Finland's military to Kenya for 50 lions"

The awesome World War 1 Thread
  • ShinoGHShinoGH Senior Member Posts: 856Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    So who's going to go see The Desolation of Smaug? My girlfriend got us tickets to the 18th for 3D HFR. I was really impressed by the first Hobbit movie in HFR, it felt like watching a play happening on a stage right in front of you. Took my eyes a while to get used to it though.

I plan to, but I don't think I'll be seeing it just yet. I'll probably wait till the theaters empty out a bit so that I can watch the movie without being hemmed in from all sides lol.
    "Bacon."
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,755Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2013

I'll probably wait for the DVD to be released. Same money, popcorn is cheaper and I can see it again as many times as I want without paying more.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • HildorHildor Senior Member The MidlandsPosts: 3,283Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    On the OP's trailer, why would you have heavily armored mech suits without helmets? Bit of a design flaw?
    There'd be something witty here if I could think of it
    edited December 2013
    dge1 wrote: »
    I'll probably wait for the DVD to be released. Same money, popcorn is cheaper and I can see it again as many times as I want without paying more.
    Blasphemy! DVD isn't 1080p HD quality, nor 3D, nor the new high frame rate (HFR). It just isn't the same experience watching it at home on DVD.
    Hildor wrote: »
    On the OP's trailer, why would you have heavily armored mech suits without helmets? Bit of a design flaw?

That irritates me so much, and it's really common in scfi. The Gears of War games comes to mind..dude wears a bad *** armored suit but no helmet...just a bandanna? :confused:

• IstvanIstvan Senior Member London, CanadaPosts: 1,233Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I notice 2004's Alexander is available for $7 on Amazon. Why did everyone hate that movie? Is it worth the money?
    Battle not with Canadians, lest ye become a Canadian, and if ye gaze into the maple syrup, the maple syrup gazes also into you.
  • CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,170Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    it was too boring for what it was. too long and just dull
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
    edited December 2013
    I checked out some clips from YouTube. The scene in which Alexander suicidally charges a war elephant looks stunning. Ptolemy's cynical rumblings about the tragedy of Alexander's dream - namely that dreamers need to die before they kill everyone else - was also thought provoking. If the rest of the movie is anything like those scenes I wouldn't mind spending $7 on it.
    Battle not with Canadians, lest ye become a Canadian, and if ye gaze into the maple syrup, the maple syrup gazes also into you.
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,918Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I personally loved Alexander. The battle scenes are absolutely superb, and one of the most impressive recreations in modern media. In fact I'd say the Battle of Gaugamela scenes IS my favourite battle scene ever. I'm surprised Hollywood execs green lighted this picture at all.

People were mostly put off by the display of his love life which happened to be very homosexual. Hollywood focuses a lot more on character portraits than military campaigns these days. Here's what some reviewers had to say:
    Oliver Stone's Alexander is at best an honorable failure, an intelligent and ambitious picture that crucially lacks dramatic flair and emotional involvement. Dry and academic where Troy (2004) was vulgar and willfully ahistorical
    We welcome the scenes of battle, pomp and circumstance because at least for a time we are free of sociopolitical concepts and the endless narration of Ptolemy the historian.
    Hey sounds like the perfect movie for me!

See if the DVD is the Director's Cut. This is one of those movies where the Directors Cut was very popular compared to the theatrical release.

There are A LOT of cringe worthy parts of course (Angelina Jolie...wat?), but for me the battles over turn them all. I guess I'm blood thirsty or something.
    Hildor wrote: »
    I see helmets all over the place in the trailer. I even see a scene where there's a full face mask, and another scene where a clear visor is being lowered over the eyes. Obviously for the purposes of idenifying people in the movie they have to take some kind of license though.
    HNNGGGG GOTTA GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
  • CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,170Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    the rest of the movie is not just like those scenes. those are rare moments of life , but go check it out for yourself.
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The Director's Cut is $5, the Revisted Final Cut edition is $7. I was leaning towards the latter, because it seems to include the most running time and typically I prefer extended editions. With Kingdom of Heaven it really brought a mediocre and confusing movie to life and made it a proper epic, even if it still has flaws. Though, I am wary that in Alexander's case it might be too long. What's your opinion on the Final Cut vs Director's Cut?
    Hey sounds like the perfect movie for me!

That's exactly what the review left me thinking. Ptolemy lecturing on sociopolitical concepts? Sounds like the dry sort of stuff that is right up my alley.
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,918Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    According to Wikipedia (don't go there, spoilers!), the Director's Cut is the 2nd edition, and the Final Cut is the 3rd edition that Oliver Stone did years after the DVD release. I haven't actually seen it and it is freaking long with an intermission and everything. Depends how much faith you have in Oliver Stone as a director. Can't find the Ultimate Cut? That's the final edition where he ended up cutting some stuff out of the Final Cut.
    edited December 2013
    I would recommend Desolation of Smaug to everyone - although long it is better than the first hobbit and probably on a par with the two towers (my least beloved LOTR film)
    edited December 2013
    The 'Ultimate Cut' doesn't seem to be available on Amazon yet. I've ended up ordering the 'Final - Revisited Edition.' All reviews seem to agree that it is the best, even though many reviewers still dislike the movie. The positive reviews stated that it is the best because the added time is needed to really explore the complicated characters as well as the distant and expansive time period. Furthermore, as it returns to Oliver Stone's original chronological flow, all-in-all it really helps improve clarity and add weight where needed. Inevitably, the hammy acting and lame scenes are still part of the package, though.
  • BackoBacko Senior Member Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I haven't bothered to see the first instalment of the Hobbit as I didn't enjoy the LOTR trilogy on film. However, I went to see the second Hunger Games movie and the trailer for the second Hobbit played. It has piqued my interest and I think I'll go back and watch the first one. Or perhaps see if Kindle has the book at a reasonable price.

Edit: That trailer for Edge of Tomorrow looks epic. Is Bill Murray in it?
    Never promise crazy a baby
    edited December 2013
    May as well put this in here as well, even though I made a thread for it. Godzilla is back after a 10 year hiatus. Supposedly the director is going to be a lot more faithful to the source material.
    edited December 2013
    Backo wrote: »
    I haven't bothered to see the first instalment of the Hobbit as I didn't enjoy the LOTR trilogy on film. However, I went to see the second Hunger Games movie and the trailer for the second Hobbit played. It has piqued my interest and I think I'll go back and watch the first one. Or perhaps see if Kindle has the book at a reasonable price.

I haven't seen the second, but if it's anything like the original then I think it depends on how big of a Tolkien fan you are. I went into the first one expecting to see The Hobbit. I came out wondering why the movie is called The Hobbit when about 2 hours of the movie are spent dealing with events not in the book, namely the rivalry between the lead dwarf and some ugly white ork. They also had about 5 minutes devoted solely to mountains fighting one another. Yes, you heard that right - probably the only scene where the 3D was actually apparent was a scene where big chunks of rocks fought one another, doing absolutely nothing for the plot at all. I am sure that fans of Tolkien who have read all of his works will appreciate the additions that originate from Silmarillion (I hope it doesn't actually have mountains fighting in it), but at the end of the day it's really not The Hobbit anymore. It really should be renamed The Good Dwarf, the Bad White Ork and the Ugly Little Hobbit.

Based on positive reviews, I imagine the second might be better and so I might not be fair with this, but my suspicion is that it really should be renamed:

The Desolation of the Eternal Conflict Between White Ork and Main Dwarf and There is a Dragon Too
    edited December 2013
    It really is The Hobbit + Unfinished Tales + focused prequel to LoTR, which I find unfortunate as I was hoping for something more focused on just The Hobbit. Watching the live play was my first exposure to Tolkien's world. Granville Island Theatre on a school trip, sitting beside one of my old crushes. Ah life was simpler.

Don't get me wrong, the fight between Azog & the Line of Durin is probably one of the most epic wars of Middle Earth, but I never wished for it to be a part of The Hobbit.

Fans will point out that Tolkien would later comment on the book saying that he initially only wrote The Hobbit on a whim, and had now wished that it was more of a prequel to the LoTR series. This is one of those areas where I'd disagree with the author. Too much of the original charm would be lost, and sometimes the "cameo's" just become scenes to cringe at.
  • BackoBacko Senior Member Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Having read Istvan's and Ace's posts I will just grab a copy of the book. Those are exactly the fears that led me to avoiding Hobbit part 1 in the first place.

Hobbit 2 will have to pass me by (and does the title sound like a Daniel Craig James Bond movie to anyone else?).
    Never promise crazy a baby
    edited December 2013
    I guess it's good sometimes not to read the book first. I've never read the Hobbit nor had I heard much about it before I saw the movie, unlike the Lord of the Rings trilogy that I had read before(only the somewhat shorter version). Hadn't really thought about if The Hobbit was true to the book or not. Would it, without any additional flair be a good movie? I mean would it work on screen? The thing that I knew about the original book is that it's an acquired taste, being written almost like a children's book. Is there any truth to that?

As somebody that loved all of the Lord of the Rings books as well as the movies I really enjoyed the Hobbit, but I saw it without any expectations.

• nigesybarnigesybar Senior Member Posts: 1,065Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    I loved the Hobbit from when I was a teenager and read the LOTR trilogy after seeing the first movie. Loved it plus subsequent films.

I was quite keen to see the Hobbit movie but couldn't get past the first scene of dwarves making a mess and then tidying up like some CGI Snow White remake. I know humour is part of these stories but this just seemed naff to me.

Just my opinion of course.
    edited December 2013
    Would it, without any additional flair be a good movie? I mean would it work on screen? The thing that I knew about the original book is that it's an acquired taste, being written almost like a children's book. Is there any truth to that?

On the whole the movie did follow the original narrative, as the majority of the scenes are from the book. With that in mind, I believe it would work without any additional flair. If you remove Azog and some other unnecessary cameos (Saruman, for example) then you are still left with essentially the same plot intact, which is enjoyable. Azog's presence might improve the trilogy as a whole, but just speaking about the first movie, he could be removed and nothing would be missed.

As for it being a children's book: Yes, there is truth in that, but it is still consumable by adults. There is also a significant difference in Tolkien's writing style between The Hobbit and LoTR. In The Hobbit his descriptions are brief and concise, leading to a relatively short, but quick paced and exciting book of about 350 pages. In LoTR Tolkien falls in love with his fantasy world and spends an incredible number of pages describing it in detail. If someone is an admirer of his fantasy world then that's not a problem, but I have never been able to finish LoTR because frankly I don't want to read two pages about how green some grass is and then spend two more pages reading about how misty some mist is.
    (and does the title sound like a Daniel Craig James Bond movie to anyone else?).

You might be onto something there...
    edited December 2013
    Istvan wrote: »
    If you remove Azog and some other unnecessary cameos (Saruman, for example) then you are still left with essentially the same plot intact, which is enjoyable. Azog's presence might improve the trilogy as a whole, but just speaking about the first movie, he could be removed and nothing would be missed.

Excuse me..? When is a mean albino Orc or an evil wizard ever unnecessary? :confused:

No, but I get what you are saying, they are not in the book. :)

Is anything in the Hobbit movies totally new, I mean that isn't based on Tolkien's written material?

edited December 2013
    No everything there, even the story, is based Tolkiens works. The story in the movie is probably how Tolkien would have written the Hobbit had he known what LoTR was going to turn out to be. Indeed a whole chapter dedicated to Thorin's past in the book Unfinishes Tales was meant to do just that. You'll just have to excuse my grumpy nostalgia. The movie is definitely still good imo, its just not what I was expecting.

However in the 2nd movie based just on the trailers I'm pretty sure there's no Legolas/Orlando Bloom love story cameo. ;)
    edited December 2013
    Excuse me..? When is a mean albino Orc or an evil wizard ever unnecessary?

I must concede that you have a fair point there.
    No everything there, even the story, is based Tolkiens works. The story in the movie is probably how Tolkien would have written the Hobbit had he known what LoTR was going to turn out to be.

Even the mountains fighting?
    edited December 2013
    Istvan wrote: »

Even the mountains fighting?

Tolkien described the fighting between the giant, the films just took artistic licence with the way the giants looked
    edited December 2013
    I distinctly remember them being mentioned in the book. Let me do a little Googling...

Ahhh,
    When he peeped out in the lightning-flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out and were hurling rocks at one another for a. game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang...They could hear the giants guffawing and shouting all over the mountainsides.
    "This won't do at all!" said Thorin. "If we don't get blown off or drowned, or struck by lightning, we shall be picked up by some giant and kicked sky-high for a football."
    "Well, if you know of anywhere better, take us there!" said Gandalf, who was feeling very grumpy, and was far from happy about the giants himself.'

I personally always interpreted it literally, as that's how it was portrayed in the stage play I saw. Others seem to think it's a metaphor for the lightning and rock slides.
  • EndovellicusEndovellicus Senior Member Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    edited December 2013

220px-The_Hobbit_-_The_Desolation_of_Smaug_theatrical_poster.jpg

I saw it the 13th! :)

If you know the story, you already know what is going to happen. And the fact that there is another movie for the next year doesn't help, because you know the movie will remain unfinished for now.

But despite of that, it is a great movie. Good landscapes and stuff. The voice of Smaug is also cool (I've seen it in Spanish, but I guess it would be similar in other versions).

And you are going to enjoy a lot the 3D. I felt the same you are saying. There is an scene with a couple of bees coming to you, and everybody in the theater was trying to hit them instinctively :D.

And if that is not enough... Evangeline Lilly. :cool:

Hobbit_WPS_1280tauriel1.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Tolkien described the fighting between the giant, the films just took artistic licence with the way the giants looked

I clearly haven't read the book in far too long then! Something about dwarves being used as footballs in the quotation does ring a bell, though...

I just watched the Desolation of Smaug. As a fantasy action it exceeded my expectations in terms of visual flair. The choreography of the some of the action scenes was incredible, and Smaug looked (and sounded) excellent. It was certainly a treat for the eyes.

Once again, even though it is entitled The Hobbit it simply is not The Hobbit. Not only are there two hours worth of fight scenes added that did not exist in the book, but some of the defining parts of the adventure have been removed, or turned into very short segments so that more time can be spent on fighting.

Unfortunately, there are also issues with it that make me question how enjoyable the movie is beyond its well-choreographed action. The movie is in a sense brain-dead stupid with absolutely no logic behind character actions.

Why it's dumb:

1) I don't know who wrote the script, but they aren't very good at it. The characters were constantly making decisions that were simply illogical and made no sense. It really breaks you out of the immersion of the movie when it seems that characters are on autopilot and simply following a set script, irrespective of how stupid it is, because zero thought goes into the decisions that they rashly make. At first I thought it might just be me, but then everyone else I spoke to said the same thing.

2) Jackson is attempting to mold an epic out of The Hobbit's basic premise, which is constricting him and damaging the sensibility of the movie. The problem stems from the fact that he fills the movie with seemingly nonstop action scenes, but at the same time he is bound to follow a children book's story in which the dwarves do not die, because frankly there isn't really all that much fighting taking place in the book that could have killed them. The result is self-parody. Is there a massive orc army or a gigantic fire breathing dragon after them? No worries. No one gets hurt in this movie, because Tolkien's dwarves are not supposed to die, irrespective of what Jackson Peter puts them through. The end result is simply immortal dwarves. I swear, these dwarves could simply walk into Mordor and remain unscratched.

I give it a 3/5, but if you don't mind shutting your mind off for 3 hours while you watch amusing scenes of immortal dwarves escaping certain death at the hands of orcs and a huge dragon then it's definitely worth seeing.